Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New Detailer Tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-16, 03:39 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts
Question New Detailer Tips

So, finally had the chance to load up the new car with HPC coating.

I took all the regular steps.

I just bought a Griot's random orbital polisher as well as the Lake white/orange/black pads.

After examining my paint I felt I only needed to use the Meguiarriar's Ultimate Polish for most of the work.

Here is where I need your advice and where I thank God nothing bad happened...

1. Taped off the trim with painter's tape

2. Added three dime sized squirts to the white pad after soaking it a little with the polish.

3. Flung the cable over my shoulder, applied medium pressure on speed 5 and started slowly doing the side panels.

4. I didn't take any breaks. I kept using the buffing machine, applying more polish, and buffing one whole side of the car.

5. When I put more polish on the white pad, I did feel it was getting very warm as well as the buffer itself was getting warm.

6. Right when I was about to start on the back trunk, I turned on the polisher and WOOSH the whole pad flew off and that was the result.

LOL.

Please tell me what I did wrong. Too much pressure? Didn't take my time? I thought with a random orbital polisher these things don't happen because if you add too much pressure it goes the opposite way?

I'd love to learn from the people who know what to do. I apologize and thank you for your responses.
Attached Thumbnails New Detailer Tips-img_0396.jpg  
Old 12-14-16, 04:28 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Which type of pad is that? LC flat foam? ccs foam?

Did you only use 1 pad to polish the entire car? It looks like you overheated the pad and caused the foam to separate from the velcro in the center. You're going to need to take longer breaks in between passes if you want to attempt using only 1 pad or buy a lot more and swap them out.
Old 12-14-16, 04:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Eek!! Definitely should have done a panel at a time. You don't want to keep adding polish to a pad without cleaning it. It'll cake up real quick and become ineffective. I normally wash my pad in between panels so it's clean (and cool) by the time I resume.

If you add too much pressure to a random orbit polisher, it'll stall. It doesn't go the "opposite way."
Old 12-14-16, 06:55 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Ah got it! Yeah I pretty much used one pad for the whole side of the car. Didn't know I was supposed to take breaks or change them. Good to know! I used the LC flat foam. I guess I didn't use that much pressure because nothing stalled which is good. I think I just didn't take enough breaks and overheated the pad.
Old 12-15-16, 08:49 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Heat is generated between the pad and the surface due to friction... pads will retain heat within the foam, and the foam will ultimately fail once it reaches a certain point. Long before the pad failed, you would have noticed the center of the pad becoming sunken in/recessed... I've seen this referred to as "dishing". This is becaues the center of the pad is where the majority of the heat build up is and the dishing is a sign that the pad is over used and the foam is starting to fail.

For this reason, and many other important reasons, you should be using multiple pads for each step. I typically recommend having 3 or more of each pad on hand before tackling any project.

You may find this article helpful...

Polishing Pads: How Many Do I Need? by
Zach McGovern
Old 12-15-16, 10:44 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Either the pad is defective or you touched a piece of trim or something that cut the pad causing it to disintegrate. I have done many vehicles with one pad per side and continuously (product added only) and never seen this. I have destroyed a pad that touched a sharp edge on a piece of trim, but that was my fault.

Sounds like you prepped the pad and used a good setting, proper product amount....my guess defective pad.

When a buddy wants a really quick, don't care what it looks like, trading in the pos. One pad, whole car, non-stop 40-minute application, no problem with one pad. In and out while they wait.
Old 12-15-16, 04:56 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by FastFord
Either the pad is defective or you touched a piece of trim or something that cut the pad causing it to disintegrate. I have done many vehicles with one pad per side and continuously (product added only) and never seen this. I have destroyed a pad that touched a sharp edge on a piece of trim, but that was my fault.

Sounds like you prepped the pad and used a good setting, proper product amount....my guess defective pad.
As someone who specializes in paint correction work, I can say with a high level of certainty that this was not caused by a defective pad and was heat buildup which lead to pad failure as already explained. When doing a slow, steady correction where maximizing defect removal is the goal, it is absolutely critical to change pads. We have ruined a lot of pads throughout the years by pushing them one panel too far... I've even seen smoke coming off of the inside of a pad after it separated like the OP has shown.

Originally Posted by FastFord
When a buddy wants a really quick, don't care what it looks like, trading in the pos. One pad, whole car, non-stop 40-minute application, no problem with one pad. In and out while they wait.
In this situation where you are simply lightly polishing the car quickly, using 1 pad is not a big deal. 40 minutes of light use will not wear out a pad, however 4+ hours of moderate to heavy use absolutely will wear out a pad.
Old 12-15-16, 04:59 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Talking

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
After examining my paint I felt I only needed to use the Meguiarriar's Ultimate Polish for most of the work.
Completely off-topic point, but this is perhaps the most creative spelling of meguiar's I have seen to date
The following 2 users liked this post by zmcgovern4:
aznkorboi (12-17-16), Diesel26 (01-03-17)
Old 12-16-16, 06:41 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I didn`t read that he used the pad for 4+ hours on one side of the car. Four straight hours certainly would toast a pad. Funny though for a random polisher.
Old 12-16-16, 07:58 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

He didn't specifically say how long he used it for... but assuming he was doing true paint correction work, that is a safe assumption for time spent polishing.
Old 12-16-16, 09:48 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Ah got it! Yeah I pretty much used one pad for the whole side of the car. Didn't know I was supposed to take breaks or change them. Good to know! I used the LC flat foam. I guess I didn't use that much pressure because nothing stalled which is good. I think I just didn't take enough breaks and overheated the pad.
When I was in college and detailed cars, I used the LC flat foam pads all the time because they were cheap. In my experience, the LC flat foam pads tend to separate from the backing. Usually the backing peels away from the foam as they heat up and cool down. Your pad is a bit of an extreme case from being over used and possibly bumping the trim pieces causing cuts in the foam. I would recommend getting 3 or 4 of the light cutting pad and polishing pad (orange and white if you stick with LC Flat Foam).

Once the pad starts getting soft in the center, then you should switch to a new pad. When the center starts to look smooth and bubbly instead of porous (like new), then its time to clean the pad or switch it out.

Recently, I've been updating my supplies and switched to buff and shine MF pads. I like them a lot because the pads stay cooler, and I'm able to work on more surface area with a single pad. I haven't tried any of the other brands yet, but so far I'm a fan of MF pads over foam.
Old 12-17-16, 06:20 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Heat is generated between the pad and the surface due to friction... pads will retain heat within the foam, and the foam will ultimately fail once it reaches a certain point. Long before the pad failed, you would have noticed the center of the pad becoming sunken in/recessed... I've seen this referred to as "dishing". This is becaues the center of the pad is where the majority of the heat build up is and the dishing is a sign that the pad is over used and the foam is starting to fail.

For this reason, and many other important reasons, you should be using multiple pads for each step. I typically recommend having 3 or more of each pad on hand before tackling any project.

You may find this article helpful...

Polishing Pads: How Many Do I Need? by
Zach McGovern
Yes! You are correct! It was starting to dish in the middle but I didn't know it meant it was heating up so I kept going. I'm going to have to buy a few more pads!
Old 12-17-16, 06:22 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

I spent about 3 hours on one side and I believe it was due to heat and not a defective pad. Thank you all for the responses! Perhaps I will also try a different pad brand like Meugiarirs lol

I'm just thankful it didn't scratch my car.
Old 12-17-16, 07:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I spent about 3 hours on one side and I believe it was due to heat and not a defective pad. Thank you all for the responses! Perhaps I will also try a different pad brand like Meugiarirs lol

I'm just thankful it didn't scratch my car.
I have Meguiars microfiber cutting pads and they work great! I finish down the paint with foam polishing pad though (personal preference). If you do get microfiber pads, just make sure you prime them well before using them. Last thing you need is to create more scratches by running the pad dry onto your paint. But they cut so well!!
Old 12-17-16, 08:39 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
I have Meguiars microfiber cutting pads and they work great! I finish down the paint with foam polishing pad though (personal preference). If you do get microfiber pads, just make sure you prime them well before using them. Last thing you need is to create more scratches by running the pad dry onto your paint. But they cut so well!!
Do you have the meguiars mf finishing pads or only the cutting pads?

Quick Reply: New Detailer Tips