Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

To Cover or Not to Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-15, 07:33 AM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default To Cover or Not to Cover?

I just got a used Lexus in great shape. Where I live I don't have a garage or carport. It will not be my daily driver and am wondering if any of you cover your car with anything or what you use to protect it from the elements. It may sit still for 5 days at a time.
Old 07-18-15, 11:30 AM
Ditoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a big fan of covers. I hear too many bad stories about them. Have you considered getting the car sealed? I park my car outside a lot and blast the car with some water before I drive. It repels a lot of dirt and the car looks clean again.
Old 08-02-15, 12:56 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I think covering is okay if you use multi covers. I cover a car using a semi custom car cover with the car washed before its installed. Then a plastic tarp over it with a layer of something to insulate it on the plastic, then another tarp over again. The trick is to insulate from drastic temp changes and condensation. And always have a clean and waxed or protected paint on the car before the first cover goes on it. I think a cover is way better than hot sun and uv beating on the car daily, with out a cover its constant dirt and bird crap that you deal with. And the covers will prevent other damage as well like small rocks or dirt from weed eaters and lawn mowers. Oh and the most important thing to do is stop cover movement, I use a cut up truck bed rubber liner as weight and a strap as well as bungy at points under the car as well as some spring clamps to hold the plastic. I plan on getting a good vinyl custom trucking tarp at some point and that would be the #3 upper tarp. If a car sits for extended periods this is a great way to not have to wash the car all the time especially where it is real dry this summer.

Last edited by dicer; 08-02-15 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-02-15, 09:19 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gebo
I just got a used Lexus in great shape. Where I live I don't have a garage or carport. It will not be my daily driver and am wondering if any of you cover your car with anything or what you use to protect it from the elements. It may sit still for 5 days at a time.
I cover any of my vehicles that sit outside. I use Covercraft covers, made in Paul's Valley, Oklahoma. Custom fit in a variety of materials, most with 4 or 5 year warranties. My two favorites are Evolution 4 or Weathershield HD. I even put one on my IS-F when it is in the garage to keep it dust free, and help protect it from a scratch or ding.

Have several 'outdoor' vehicles, including a 2003 Super Duty that has been covered from the California sun and occasional inclement weather since day one. The paint and interior looks like the truck is brand new. Sometimes sits for weeks at a time without a worry. I do use a long bungee cord across the bottom to keep it taught in the wind.
Old 08-03-15, 12:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,299 Posts

I have a car that sits half the year I'm using a Noah Block-It (made from Kimberly Clark fabric) the protection is outstanding. No scratching at all and no moisture build up problems. The car can sit for 3-4 months and when I remove the cover the car is pristine.

So I'd say the reports of scratching or damage from using a quality car cover are not true.
Old 08-04-15, 02:30 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The cover I use is called Budge and is made in US, it seems like its similar to Lexus2000. My reason for covering the cover is to protect the cover and the extra shielding it offers. Scratching only happens if there is dirt on the car and constant movement of the cover any cover will abrade. Good wax or coating is a huge help.
Old 08-06-15, 11:30 PM
rhyle07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to use a cover, make sure your car is clean to avoid unwanted marring on the paint.