Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Towels, rags etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-15, 10:48 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Towels, rags etc.

Just remember micro fiber is usually 100% polyester a plastic that scratches paint, I know I had it happen. Cotton will not because it is softer than paint and clear coat. You may not think it is scratching but under a good magnifier you would see it. I think it is similar to using an abrasive polish everytime you use it on your cars finish.

http://classiccars.about.com/od/main.../paintcare.htm

http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w2...er-towels.html
Old 07-13-15, 12:29 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take the word of dozens of high-end detailers who have published hundreds of pictures of their work over a period of several years, over that of a bunch of barely literate clowns with zero credibility. I'll be sticking with my MF towels.
Old 07-13-15, 05:34 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Its hard to find good quality cotton terry towels, easier to find good quality microfibers

If you're really worried about it, take a cloth (microfiber, terry, etc) and rub it onto a blank CD. Then inspect for marring/scratches.

I wouldn't put a terry cloth towel anywhere near my paint. I've had microfibers that mar as well (as determined by the CD test), but good quality (Korean, German) microfiber towels work perfectly.

Terry towels have their place: I like to use them for trunk, hood and door jambs, wiping down leather and interior panels, etc. But for touching paint its microfiber only for me.
Old 07-13-15, 01:31 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Polyester scratches auto paint. Just study it. And microfiber is most always 100% polyester and made in china.
If flame melts it then its plastic and will abrade. Its like micro sanding the surface. You won't find any "high end" detailer for rare million dollar plus cars using it.
Old 07-13-15, 04:46 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Many of the professional detailers on this forum use high quality ultra plush microfiber to dry and buff car paint. They happen to do many high end cars without issue. Anytime you rub anything on the surface of your paint, you run the risk of introducing micromarring. Ensuring that the surface is free of grit is key and the plushness of the towel makes a world of difference. Check out the link below. The gentleman uses a dodo juice drying microfiber towel with 100% cotton edging. You can't get much more exotic than the car he is detailing.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=359006
Old 07-13-15, 06:33 PM
PondScum
Driver

Originally Posted by dicer
You won't find any "high end" detailer for rare million dollar plus cars using it.
Wrong.

Paul Dalton of Miracale Detail in the UK is famous for his £5000 detail jobs and what does he advertise right on his services page:

"Hand-dried using 'deep pile' microfibre drying towels"

http://www.miracledetail.co.uk/tv.html

He has pictures and videos on his site of Pagani Zondas, Bugatti Veyrons, Koenigseggs, etc that he has worked on.

And I guess Crizal doesn't know what they are doing when they recommend and include microfiber for cleaning eyeglasses that have their AR coating.