Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dull paint

Old 03-29-12, 02:36 PM
Yuri101
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dull paint

Next to me license plate i have a dull spot. It happened when old sealer was used and it just dulled up the paint i was told to use some polisher? Would that work and make it shiny again?
Old 03-29-12, 03:45 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

If you are talking about the clear coat, then yes, you can compound and polish it back up.

Don't trying anything you don't know how to do because you can end up removing all of the clear coat if you use a machine.
Old 03-29-12, 04:32 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some scratch x. itll work good just to buff out some hazy clear coat. easy to use just put some on a microfiber towel and buff
Old 03-29-12, 04:33 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

This really should have been put in the detailing section of the forum.

It would help more if you posted up the dull spot. While, results are usually best when you use a Random Orbital buffer (Porter Cable 7424XP, Griots Professional Random Orbital, Flex, ect.), you can try to polish by hand as well.

The best way to remove problems in your paint is to use the least invasive method and work your way up from there.

http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-...art-master.htm

Use the chart posted above to gauge how invasive your cleaner/polish/compound is. The least invasive is on the far right.

In your position, I first would try to CLAY BAR. Does this help the problem? If not, then I would personally try a cleaner wax (an "over the counter" one you can find, such as Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner). If that doesn't work, you could try Meguiar's SwirlX. Still doesn't work? You may want to then take it to a experienced detailer then. When you start using heavy compounds, it's best to know what you are doing so you don't damage your paint further.

Last edited by karasha; 03-29-12 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-29-12, 07:07 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by karasha

It would help more if you posted up the dull spot. While, results are usually best when you use a Random Orbital buffer (Porter Cable 7424XP, Griots Professional Random Orbital, Flex, ect.), you can try to polish by hand as well.

The best way to remove problems in your paint is to use the least invasive method and work your way up from there.

Use the chart posted above to gauge how invasive your cleaner/polish/compound is. The least invasive is on the far right.

In your position, I first would try to CLAY BAR. Does this help the problem? If not, then I would personally try a cleaner wax (an "over the counter" one you can find, such as Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner). If that doesn't work, you could try Meguiar's SwirlX. Still doesn't work? You may want to then take it to a experienced detailer then. When you start using heavy compounds, it's best to know what you are doing so you don't damage your paint further.
This. I was too lazy to type all that.
Old 03-29-12, 07:14 PM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by karasha

Definitely start with the cleaner wax like colorx or something after the clay bar. Great advice! The scratchx 2.0 WILL leave micromarring and is visible on dark colored cars in the sun.
Old 03-29-12, 08:21 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Yes, if you do scratchX, you will then need to "finish" it off with a finer polish to help with the marring/hazing.
Old 03-31-12, 06:15 AM
Yuri101
Driver

Alright thanks