Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

OGC (Optimum Gloss Coat)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 06:30 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default OGC (Optimum Gloss Coat)

Does anyone know when it is safe to wash the car after applying???
Old 04-11-15, 08:34 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I would wait at least 7 days
Old 04-12-15, 06:38 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I would wait at least 7 days
thanx buddy... i have to agree with you on the cost of the OGC. (read your review on DI) 10cc, semi permanent instead of permanent etc. as far as ease of app and the gloss, i am impressed. i will not add a topper to this coating... i am tempted but i will not. so far so good...
Old 04-12-15, 09:45 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
thanx buddy... i have to agree with you on the cost of the OGC. (read your review on DI) 10cc, semi permanent instead of permanent etc. as far as ease of app and the gloss, i am impressed. i will not add a topper to this coating... i am tempted but i will not. so far so good...
I wanted to top my opticoat pro with this stuff! probably overkill. This will probably last 2 years if you're lucky!
Old 04-13-15, 09:48 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
I wanted to top my opticoat pro with this stuff! probably overkill. This will probably last 2 years if you're lucky!
i've had every coating except CQUK and GTECHNIQ. everything else i have applied to my cars... disappointed in the longevity of the OGC, OC 2.0 is still as strong as day one, applied in 2013. the 10cc syringe was another kick in the head, optimum should have stuck with the 20cc syringe at the price point of OC 2.0. good thing is it can be layered, so i'll wait a few months, give her a light polish and slap another coat on her... if your OCP needs a little gloss, then go for it... the gloss factor of this OGC is bananas.
Old 04-13-15, 10:12 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've had every coating except CQUK and GTECHNIQ. everything else i have applied to my cars... disappointed in the longevity of the OGC, OC 2.0 is still as strong as day one, applied in 2013. the 10cc syringe was another kick in the head, optimum should have stuck with the 20cc syringe at the price point of OC 2.0. good thing is it can be layered, so i'll wait a few months, give her a light polish and slap another coat on her... if your OCP needs a little gloss, then go for it... the gloss factor of this OGC is bananas.
I tell you forget about Opticoat and OGC all together and try out Cquartz (Classic for hot weather and UK for cold weather) and you will be more than happy. From my actual experience of having OC2.0 and switch to CQUK after 1 year, CQUK is a whole lot better in term of:
1. More shine and gloss. It is more glass like while OC2.0 is more plastic like.
2. Bead/sheet better. You can dry your car 90% by flooding the water!
3. Keep the car clean longer due to its anti-dust property.
4. Cheaper.
5. Slicker than the tacky feel on the OC2.0.
I'm not sure about durability yet since I just applied it about 1 month ago.

Cons: You can mess up the application easily if you don't know how to work it properly. Watch your temp and humidity and adjust your buff off time accordingly. You have very short working time (1-2 mins) with CQUK.
Old 04-13-15, 10:17 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Assuming you mean the advertised longevity... ie 2 years?

For what it's worth, OC2.0 also sees an average of about 2 years on vehicles that are owned by "normal" people... meaning those who do not care for them in the sense that we do. (I know you are probably more critical of your vehicles than even I am). OC2.0 was marketed as "permanent", and that has led to a lot of controversy. The simple fact of the matter is that most of these coatings (I say most simply because I do not know the chemistry behind the products I haven't personally used/tested) form a covalent bond which is extremely strong and, in a sense, permanent unless the product is removed with abrasives. The hydrophobic properties, however, may begin to diminish overtime... this doesn't technically indicate the coating is no longer present on the surface... it just shows that the high surface tension has been altered. Since the beading, sheeting, and gloss is what most people desire in a paint coating, once the favorable properties have diminished, most will want to have it reapplied. In most cases this is a good idea anyways because there will be some swirls that have been induced over the course of time that has passed since the original application anyway.

With pristine maintenance, any paint coating will last an incredibly long time... especially if you go the extra mile and regularly top it with a product like Reload (or similar).

Gloss Coat does provide a considerably slicker and glossier surface than OC2.0 did. I have only applied GC to one vehicle, and I do not expect to see it or hear from the owner anytime soon, so I am interested to see/hear how it holds up for you without a topper.

Keep us posted

-Zach
Old 04-14-15, 06:00 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I tell you forget about Opticoat and OGC all together and try out Cquartz (Classic for hot weather and UK for cold weather) and you will be more than happy. From my actual experience of having OC2.0 and switch to CQUK after 1 year, CQUK is a whole lot better in term of:
1. More shine and gloss. It is more glass like while OC2.0 is more plastic like.
2. Bead/sheet better. You can dry your car 90% by flooding the water!
3. Keep the car clean longer due to its anti-dust property.
4. Cheaper.
5. Slicker than the tacky feel on the OC2.0.
I'm not sure about durability yet since I just applied it about 1 month ago.

Cons: You can mess up the application easily if you don't know how to work it properly. Watch your temp and humidity and adjust your buff off time accordingly. You have very short working time (1-2 mins) with CQUK.
CQUK is on my TO DO list... after GTECHNIQ ... BTW, i use the sheeting method now and i get 90% of the water off, and that's with the OC 2.0. my car is as slick as fish grease, no tacky feeling. the gloss is ridiculous... car is also a breeze to clean unless it rains and i drive through some gunk on the road. CQ is glossier of course but i think that properly maintained... OC 2.0 will become glossy/er after a month or two, sort of like 22PLE that gets glossier during the 5 day curing period.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Assuming you mean the advertised longevity... ie 2 years?

For what it's worth, OC2.0 also sees an average of about 2 years on vehicles that are owned by "normal" people... meaning those who do not care for them in the sense that we do. (I know you are probably more critical of your vehicles than even I am). OC2.0 was marketed as "permanent", and that has led to a lot of controversy. The simple fact of the matter is that most of these coatings (I say most simply because I do not know the chemistry behind the products I haven't personally used/tested) form a covalent bond which is extremely strong and, in a sense, permanent unless the product is removed with abrasives. The hydrophobic properties, however, may begin to diminish overtime... this doesn't technically indicate the coating is no longer present on the surface... it just shows that the high surface tension has been altered. Since the beading, sheeting, and gloss is what most people desire in a paint coating, once the favorable properties have diminished, most will want to have it reapplied. In most cases this is a good idea anyways because there will be some swirls that have been induced over the course of time that has passed since the original application anyway.

With pristine maintenance, any paint coating will last an incredibly long time... especially if you go the extra mile and regularly top it with a product like Reload (or similar).

Gloss Coat does provide a considerably slicker and glossier surface than OC2.0 did. I have only applied GC to one vehicle, and I do not expect to see it or hear from the owner anytime soon, so I am interested to see/hear how it holds up for you without a topper.

Keep us posted

-Zach
yes, i do mean the advertised longevity... i ussually layer the hell out of my coatings with sealants Z, but for some reason i want to test how long the OGC will last without topping it regularly. i wash my cars once a week, sometimes OOC soak and ONR bath in between. i haven't waxed a car in years, you don't have to anymore. maybe i'll get the wife to get me a few bottles of Reload, but i really enjoy that GTECHNIQ C2V3... and yes, i will keep you guys posted...
Old 04-14-15, 06:42 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

You may not be able to find C2V3 anymore... GTechniq USA has gone out of business according to the guys at Detailed Image (everything is out of stock for that reason)... they are trying to find a new source to receive the GTechniq supplies.
Old 04-14-15, 09:49 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CQUK is on my TO DO list... after GTECHNIQ ... BTW, i use the sheeting method now and i get 90% of the water off, and that's with the OC 2.0. my car is as slick as fish grease, no tacky feeling. the gloss is ridiculous... car is also a breeze to clean unless it rains and i drive through some gunk on the road. CQ is glossier of course but i think that properly maintained... OC 2.0 will become glossy/er after a month or two, sort of like 22PLE that gets glossier during the 5 day curing period.
As a former guy who used OC2.0 on both of my cars IS250 and IS350 for 1 year +. Yes, I'm impressed with OC2.0 and still am. However, I can assure you that CQUK is better than OC2.0. Whatever you are seeing now with OC2.0, CQUK will do it better in many aspects: beading/sheeting, gloss, slickness, dust repellent, and most importantly scratch resistant...

I still have OC2.0 on my IS350 and will soon be replaced with CQUK.

I did not believe there is anything better than Opticoat before similar to your impression too but CQUK is better and I can bet my car on it
Old 04-14-15, 07:41 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a picture of the OC 2.0 topped with OGC? I'm guessing your car is white so it won't show as much? I wonder how glossy it is compared to my OCP with Reload. It will soon have CG EZ Creme glaze and Reload!! Overkill haha