Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Amazing results with Turtle wax polishing rubbing compound

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 10:53 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Sorry guys haven't been around in a while, spending most of my time on the vette forums now , thanks for the replies though

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Glad you found something that works for you.

Do you have anymore photos? Perhaps demonstrating the abilities of the products you're raving about.

When discussing paint correction, direct lighting (note: not overhead light bulbs) is usually preferred in showing off the paint before and after because harsh lighting really shows the condition of the surface while ambient lighting does not.

Here's a great example... this Porsche 997 was a vehicle I worked on fairly recently.

This first picture was snapped with my cell phone right after the vehicle was dropped off. This was before any work had been done to the vehicle, yet the paint still looks nice and shiny.

Upon further inspection with proper lighting, it is easy to see the paint was actually in poor condition.

The surface was refined through a 2 step correction process to eliminate the vast majority of surface defects.

50/50 showing improvement after the compounding step.

Before correction

After careful correction with my 3" machine.

The vehicle was then coated with a durable layer of protection, and now the car looks like it should.

I'd love to see some more pics of what you've achieved with your car! Corvettes have some of the most difficult paint to work with... especially black! Since the panels are composite, heat is a major concern as it does not dissipate as quickly as it would on a metal panel. They sure do look great when they're properly polished though

-Zach
Hey Zach

thanks for the rply, and good to see your still around the detailing forums offering help and advice, that's great.

I will try to take some better photos for you , ive been too busy driving the car and getting it dirty to have time to do any more polishing, but I will get some shots soon.

And im not saying im getting show car quality results, but its just nice to see an old school product getting old school results, fairly easily.

Like I said im removing a large percentage of the hairline spider web type scratches in the finish.

Originally Posted by dicer
Have you ever tried 3M polishing compounds? Also hand glaze? Good stuff.
No I haven't , but I se this stuff in one of the shops I buy materials at and ive been thinking of giving them a try.

3M is a very reputable name.

Originally Posted by agentman16
what about this stuff ?

Yep I think that's the same stuff mentioned above

Originally Posted by Kira X
I've used the older versions of that Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound and Polishing Compound. The rubbing compound was extremely harsh the first time I tried it. I mainly just use it to polish headlights. The newer Turtle Wax compounds seem to give better results.

I see you have a Corvette now. Do you still have the LS and SC?
Hey Kira hows it going buddy ?

I agree, the rubbing compound is extremely harsh, I was using it to polish some new iforged aluminum wheels I had and its strong stuff.

The polishing compound is not so bad, seems fairly light and with repeated applications seems to remove a ton of imperfections.

I sold my Sc's a long time ago unfortunately ,, but thankfully I still got the LS, I had it for sale but in all honesty its too good of a car to sell , im thinking of just keeping it indefinitely as a daily.

And yea man the vette is great , its a ton of fun, I consider myself very lucky and blessed to have it.

I just got new wheels on it and im just taking care of a few small things one by one.

Im one of the first on the vette forums running a Japanese style fitment , the stretched tires with the exaggerated poke lol

Some love it , some hate it ,, I couldn't be happier lol
Attached Thumbnails Amazing results with Turtle wax polishing rubbing compound-20150119_225953.jpg   Amazing results with Turtle wax polishing rubbing compound-20150121_155028.jpg