Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Snow brush : any type won't damage the paint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 08:17 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Snow brush : any type won't damage the paint?

Hi all.

My IS350 is my first new AND luxury car. All summer I washed it myself using the triple-bucket method to avoid any swirls and I'm happy with the outcome... my paint is beautiful! I wouldn't wanna ruin it with a snow brush

Before that, I had a Civic about which I didn't care so much... I bought snow brushes from Costco which are sturdy and worked well, but I'm afraid they would cause swirls on my IS...

How would you guys suggest to clean the snow off the paint? I can leave a thin layer of snow but igloo-mobiles aren't allowed here :P
Old 10-27-14, 05:23 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Really!?!?! There's a law that says you have to clean snow off your car (not just the windows) before driving it?

I can't think of anything that would be sturdy enough to push snow off, that wouldn't potentially damage the paint if it came in contact. The best response I can think of, is to just be prepared to do the paint correction in the spring.

I'll be interested in hearing a good answer for this question. I hope there is one!
Old 10-27-14, 07:11 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

Here you go its what I use.
Amazon.com: Snow Joe SJBLZD Telescoping Snow Broom with Ice Scraper: Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com: Snow Joe SJBLZD Telescoping Snow Broom with Ice Scraper: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 10-27-14, 08:19 AM
charmander
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Thanks for this; just ordered it
Old 10-27-14, 10:11 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! I'll get this or something similar.

And yeah a cop can actually pull you over if you have too much snow on your car (like above 4-5 inches...)
Old 10-27-14, 02:13 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whoa there....using that tool will mar your clear coat and potentially scratch.

Lets think this through. The vast majority of marring is caused by abrasives that are on your paint. If you have the softest brush/ towel in the world, you will still damage your paint simply b/c you are pushing the abrasive particles across your paint. Hence why it is always smart/advised by Professional Detailed to use a Quick Detailer spray lubricant to wipe down/dry your vehicle after a wash.

My advise is to gently push off the top layer of snow from your car, leaving an inch or so of snow. The rest will blow off or melt as your drive. This is the safest method, and quite frankly the only method in my mind.
Old 10-27-14, 05:52 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I agree with VT, just leave an inch or two of snow on the car and let it blow/melt off.

In Massachusetts the last year or two they are starting to clamp down on people who do not clear off their car of excessive snow.
Old 10-31-14, 08:09 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

A bucket of warm water to warm your hand up, and using your bare hand to push the snow off, that's how I do it. We don't get all that much snow here though.
Old 11-01-14, 06:17 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Keeping your paint as clean as you can in the winter season is key to minimizing swirling. As mentioned, snow, especially the heavy wet variety, that slides off the paint carries with it the grit that is sitting on the paint, leaving marring behind. You'll want to avoid this as much as possible. Try to leave a thin layer of snow on the car when removing it. Also beneficial is a touchless wash followed by Meguiar's UQD and D156 a.k.a. Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) to refresh the sealant and slickness. Slick paint tends to not allow as much snow build-up. A touchless wash will safely remove any snow, ice and road salt without marring. It has another advantage in that it removes the salty brine coating the undercarriage.
Old 11-01-14, 12:01 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i for one do not use snow brushes... only asking for trouble if you want to keep that car scratch and mar free... i use it only on the glass.