Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Waxes & Polishes & Clay.....? Oh My!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 03:36 PM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Waxes & Polishes & Clay.....? Oh My!

I've spent the better part of this afternoon reading a TON of information about how to care for my car's interior/exterior. I am completely overwhelmed.

At first, I thought I was up for the challenge, but sadly realize (after my cursory research), I am not.

Historically, I've washed my car at the DIY bay and dried with a chamois (making sure to rinse it several times during the drying process), cleaning the rims (NOT with the chamois used to dry the car - LOL), then "dressing" the tires. Apparently, this is horribly inadequate!

I need to find a detailing shop that can perform the exterior cleaning/waxing required - I am simply not up to the challenge (upper & lower back problems from a rear-end collision about a year ago).

Specifically, I'd like to find a detail shop that does a proper 2-bucket hand wash & dry, proper clay application & proper waxing utilizing superior products.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with any detail shops in the Overland Park, KS area that knows what they are doing, provides good customer service and superior results?

I'm also looking for a shop to tint my windows. Based on what I've read here, I'm not interested in any shop that does not guarantee their work for the life of the car or those that leave the "ghetto" strip at the top of the window.

All responses are appreciated! Thank you!
Old 09-17-14, 06:06 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Doing some quick searches, I have found these two people...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott...g/494885220342

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pure-...05292889603707

After glancing through some pictures, both seem to offer paint correction and protection services. I would recommend calling each of them to setup a time for a quick consultation. Use what you have learned in your research to chat with each of them to see if they are the right fit for what you are looking for.

Best of luck!

-Zach
Old 09-17-14, 06:24 AM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Hi Zach,
Thank you so much for your recommendation!
I just finished checking out your website (you do BEAUTIFUL work) and have almost convinced myself that you are the man for the job.
I will check these two out carefully and let you know the results.
Old 09-17-14, 06:45 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TJams
Hi Zach,
Thank you so much for your recommendation!
I just finished checking out your website (you do BEAUTIFUL work) and have almost convinced myself that you are the man for the job.
I will check these two out carefully and let you know the results.
Haha, you're quite a long way from from Peoria, but I sincerely appreciate the thought

I just made the trip to the KC area a couple of weeks ago to visit some friends.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, and keep us posted on your findings. Would love to see some pics before/during/afterwards, too!

-Zach
Old 09-17-14, 07:29 AM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

I know - it's like a 9-hr. drive but I don't care - I LOVE road-trips.

I've checked out both of the sites you recommended. Both look like they do an excellent job.

I will be contacting both today to get a read on how they take care of business.
Old 09-17-14, 09:18 AM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Update: Found a local dealer that does window tint with Huper Optik.
Old 09-19-14, 05:39 PM
Badmittn
Driver School Candidate

Unless you have a problem with your paint and you need a detail shop to fix it you could go the DIY route.
There two ways to keep your car looking good. The smart way and the hard way.
You can save yourself a lot of aggravation by using a DIY acrylic paint conditioner..
Most of us are not up for the hard core old school detailing process. We want results quicker, faster and we want it now.
Wax is a laborious accessory It is yesterdays technology from a time before the internet.
The acrylic paint conditioner is advancing the idea of paint preservation as opposed to paint protection
.http://www.*****.com/VaporWax.html