Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Verdict on UW Tire Shine? Tar Remover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 06:17 AM
nmarcucci
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Verdict on UW Tire Shine? Tar Remover?

I know there was a previous post about tire shines that are safe for ultra white paint. However I didn't come across a clear answer and wanted to be sure not to stain my paint. So which shine is the best for this paint? Also, what bug/tar remover do you guys recommend? It seems like everyday there's more stuff stuck on the paint behind the rear wheels. Thanks!
Old 07-17-14, 09:24 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Water based tire shine should be safe for UW without stains left behind. I'm currently using TUF shine which is best tire shine I even used. It's semi permanent, you don't have to reapply after a wash. It's also water based and dry to touch.
Lasts for months but only negative is that you need to prep the tires by removing existing silicon. It was time and labor consuming.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015DCFCC/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015DCFCC/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://tufshine.com/

Last edited by dojoman; 07-17-14 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 11:35 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by nmarcucci
I know there was a previous post about tire shines that are safe for ultra white paint. However I didn't come across a clear answer and wanted to be sure not to stain my paint. So which shine is the best for this paint? Also, what bug/tar remover do you guys recommend? It seems like everyday there's more stuff stuck on the paint behind the rear wheels. Thanks!
As already mentioned, water based tire dressings are completely safe to use... actually, they will help to nourish the rubber and keep them looking better overtime after continued use. Water based dressings will dry to the touch (when applied properly), however if they do happen to sling on your paint due to over application or not letting the product dry, they are easy to clean up.

I would recommend CarPro PERL or Optimum Opti-Bond. Both are water based formulas, and both can be diluted with distilled water if you prefer a less glossy finish.

^2 coats of Opti-Bond Tire Gel produces a nice, even, glossy (but not fake looking) finish.

As far as tar remover, I would recommend Stoner Tarminator or CarPro TarX. Both products work to safely and effectively loosen tar buildup.

^Stoner Tarminator working to remove tar behind the wheels of this corvette

Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Zach