Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint repair for exposed metal from paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-14, 01:13 AM
Coughybean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint repair for exposed metal from paint chips

Hi. Im pretty much new to CL and this would be my first post, but I have been surfing around CL ever since I got a used 2011 IS350 a couple of months back. Generally I did not have to post anything due to the fact that almost anything I was looking for had already been talked about pretty thoroughly. My issue is that today someone pointed out that there were 3 decently sized scratches on my front right hand side fender which was not there a few days ago. Upon closer inspection 2 of the 3 chips now had exposed metal with the last one pretty scarily close to exposing metal as well. Whilst trying to find an answer on how to fix said problems in other threads, there was only information on how to fix smaller scratches and dings. So I know if i get it touched up (if it works) it will never be the same and if i repaint the entire panel itll just be gross what other option do i have? Or is there something that I am missing out on?

btw i know the rim is scratched and looks like its related to the missing paint, but i can assure you that is most definitely is not
Attached Thumbnails Paint repair for exposed metal from paint chips-done-messed-my-paint.jpg  
Old 07-11-14, 05:07 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest getting a couple estimates from body shops. The car is a 2011 and probably should be corrected by pros to maintain its appearance and resale value. It you can't afford the repaint right now wipe down the bare spots with IPA, mask off the area and get a rattle can of matching paint and spray the damaged area. It won't look pretty but it will prevent rust until you can have it professionally repaired. From the photo, it doesn't look like there are any dents or body work needed so the repair should not be too expensive.
Old 07-11-14, 08:25 AM
pewterss
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch bro, sorry to see that... I would take some light rubbing compound, or polish and see how much of that scratch you can remove. After that clean the area that's exposed and maybe look into the following product.

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/premiumRepairKit/

Not sure if anyone on these boards have used this stuff before. I used it a long time ago and it came out rather nicely BUT the scratch I was working on was smaller. Hopefully someone else has some input as well.
Old 07-11-14, 12:56 PM
jackhui
Rookie

best is to get it repainted for sure.

if you just want to cover it up just use the touch up pen and dab a few coats. it'll probably bubble after awhile then you can just buff it down .

but that wont last long. maybe 1/2 year to a year? it'll come off again. might be better if you use the clear side of the touchup pen as well but i don't like putting clear on with that thing.
Old 07-12-14, 01:03 AM
Coughybean
Driver School Candidate

cool thanks for the help I guess im going to touch it up for the moment and then get it professionally touched up within the next week or so. Appreciate the help guys
Old 07-14-14, 08:19 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by pewterss
Ouch bro, sorry to see that... I would take some light rubbing compound, or polish and see how much of that scratch you can remove. After that clean the area that's exposed and maybe look into the following product.

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/premiumRepairKit/

Not sure if anyone on these boards have used this stuff before. I used it a long time ago and it came out rather nicely BUT the scratch I was working on was smaller. Hopefully someone else has some input as well.
Those work great... I used one on my mom's CT, starfire pearl - ****ty color to touch up due to the insane amount of pearl but overall a decent match.

For basic colors with no pearl the Duplicolor kits are phenomenal, I've used them on my ES many times, perfect match.

They kit also has a separate clear coat to protect it, read the labels, do as it says and it won't show.