Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Stage 1 paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 03:35 PM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 paint

hey guys, I recently had my SC repainted after an accident and I was in a squeeze so I opted for stage 1 paint on my car.

I kind of regret it.

The paint looks good now but I'm already noticing some hazing on the hood and orange peel throughout. My question is this...could I wetsand the paint to bring out more of a shine? Or does stage 1 not allow that...
Old 07-10-14, 12:32 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Single stage urethane can be buffed, there is no difference between it and urethane clear, both are urethanes, same chemically, one is transparent one is pigmented. The only time you CAN'T buff SS paint is if it's metallic or pearl w/o a clear over it (rare these days, but frequent in the past)

When urethane cures, the UV inhibitors migrate to the upper 5% of the paint, so you only want to buff it when it starts to dull, and not too deep or too often because well, when the UV layer is gone you'll be buffing a LOT more often...kind of what happens when you see headlights going continually dull every few months after buffing them out (they also have a UV layer from the factory).

Use as mild a polish as possible to get back the gloss, avoid a cutting compound if you can.and use a polymer sealant on it 2 to 3 times a year minimum.

Good luck
Old 07-14-14, 01:41 AM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Single stage urethane can be buffed, there is no difference between it and urethane clear, both are urethanes, same chemically, one is transparent one is pigmented. The only time you CAN'T buff SS paint is if it's metallic or pearl w/o a clear over it (rare these days, but frequent in the past)

When urethane cures, the UV inhibitors migrate to the upper 5% of the paint, so you only want to buff it when it starts to dull, and not too deep or too often because well, when the UV layer is gone you'll be buffing a LOT more often...kind of what happens when you see headlights going continually dull every few months after buffing them out (they also have a UV layer from the factory).

Use as mild a polish as possible to get back the gloss, avoid a cutting compound if you can.and use a polymer sealant on it 2 to 3 times a year minimum.

Good luck
How would I know if its metallic or pearl?
Old 07-15-14, 01:35 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maaaaackle
How would I know if its metallic or pearl?
Have to admit, I've never been asked that one before...

Metallic will have reflective micro flakes (iron oxide) that shine, think of like glitter that kids use, only on a much more microscopic level...you can easily see the difference in single stage paint and metallic/ pearls especially in sunlight because they will appear to have tiny specks in them that sparkle, while SS paint will look like a piece of colored paper with uniform tone and no specs...

If unsure, start looking at cars around you on a sunny day in your daily routine or at a car lot. Once you see it you'll know. Even easier; Google images of all 3 types, and look for close-up shots.

Pearls are similar, though different in certain ways, but still have an 'iridescent' type of patina.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Or...go to the shop that painted it and ask, but, FWIW, I have never seen a modern day paint shop use a single stage urethane metallic without a clear...it's just not done anymore (for engines and parts sure-but NOT a whole car exterior). Never say never, but if they did they would really have to spray the SS metallic PERFECT without runs or sags and very even as they cannot safely wet sand/buff w/o causing visual problems...most shops know this and just don't bother using a SS metallic.

Last edited by Guitarman; 07-15-14 at 01:44 PM. Reason: adendum
Old 07-16-14, 02:20 AM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

I see, thanks for the help! I dont see any "glitter" in my paint and its just black...so I'm assuming im good.