Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 01-07-15, 04:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

How often to detail vs. just wash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 09:57 AM
domonas
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How often to detail vs. just wash?

First time Lexus owner (RX350 F Sport). Love my car. But it's black and it's hard to keep clean. I was wondering what frequency people here tend to detail vs. wash? If it matters, I'll probably take it to a detailing place as opposed to doing it myself. I was thinking full detailing 2x/year, and take it for a hand wash every month. Overkill? Not enough?
Old 06-02-14, 10:26 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

It really depends on what your idea of a "Full Detail" is... I often assume my idea of a full detail is probably much different than most other people

Protection is the main variable that should determine when your car needs a more in depth cleaning rather than a basic washing. If you use a carnauaba wax, for instance, you should have the wax applied every 6-8 weeks for optimal protection. If you use a polymer sealant, you may extend the intervals to every 4-6 months. If you have invested in a durable paint coating, you can go 2-3 years in between applications.

As far as some other general guidelines, I recommend a proper hand wash (<- click link for more info) at least every 2 weeks and proper decontamination once or twice a year.

If you utilize the correct wash methods as shown in the link provided above, you should not see much swirling or surface defects overtime, but with black paint I recommend a light polish on an annual basis if you want to maintain the car to the highest level.

In a nutshell, a "full exterior detail" would be as follows:
- Clean tires and wheels
- Clean paint using 2 bucket wash method
- Decontaminate paint utilizing proper chemicals and detailing clay
- Tape off trim & other areas of concern prior to polishing
- Take paint thickness readings to ensure adequate paint thickness prior to polishing
- Carefully machine polish the surface to remove defects and restore gloss and clarity
- Protect paint
- Protect Wheels
- Dress Tires
- Polish Exhaust Tips
- Clean Glass
- Dress & Protect trim
- Other Misc. minor details

Here is a general example of this type of process.

This process would typically take 10-12 hours to complete on an RX350 sized vehicle. Considerably more if the paint was in poor shape and needed a significant amount of correction. This process is not cheap if you're paying a true professional, and rightfully so. It is a time intensive process that requires a lot of knowledge and skill to be completed at the highest level. For instance, the example of the truck that was posted above took approximately 17 hours of work and was well over $1,000 for the job... granted that included a premium paint coating (www.CQFinest.com) which adds significant cost to the process, but for great reason IMO.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Zach McGovern
Old 06-02-14, 10:51 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Also, it seems you are located in Maryland?

If you'd like a recommendation of a quality professional around your area, I know a couple of people up there and would be happy to give you their info.

Just let me know what city you're in and I'll send you the info to the closest one
Old 06-02-14, 11:13 AM
domonas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Also, it seems you are located in Maryland?

If you'd like a recommendation of a quality professional around your area, I know a couple of people up there and would be happy to give you their info.

Just let me know what city you're in and I'll send you the info to the closest one
Thanks zmcgovern4! I live in Ellicott City/Columbia/Catonsville area. Even though it might take me a full day, just learning how to take care of the car might be worth it. But alas, I should take it to the pros initially so it's done right and hopefully they'll ask me questions. Do you happen to know mobile detailers as well?
Old 06-02-14, 11:49 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by domonas
Thanks zmcgovern4! I live in Ellicott City/Columbia/Catonsville area. Even though it might take me a full day, just learning how to take care of the car might be worth it. But alas, I should take it to the pros initially so it's done right and hopefully they'll ask me questions. Do you happen to know mobile detailers as well?
Learning to use proper hand washing techniques will go a long way towards keeping your vehicle looking great in between 'major' details.

Contact Mike Lambert... looks like he is pretty close to your area. Be sure to ask about CQuartz Finest paint coating... Let him know I sent you

The Shine Shop Detailing
Owner: Michael Lambert
(410) 833-1632
910 Shirley Manor Rd
Reisterstown, MD 21136

-Zach McGovern
Old 06-02-14, 12:13 PM
domonas
Driver School Candidate

Learning to use proper hand washing techniques will go a long way towards keeping your vehicle looking great in between 'major' details.

Contact Mike Lambert... looks like he is pretty close to your area. Be sure to ask about CQuartz Finest paint coating... Let him know I sent you

The Shine Shop Detailing
Owner: Michael Lambert
(410) 833-1632
910 Shirley Manor Rd
Reisterstown, MD 21136

-Zach McGovern
Awesome, thanks Zach! I just got the car 2 weeks ago. Do you recommend a full detail from them to help protect the paint, or are new cars protected enough where I don't need a detail and protection?
Old 06-02-14, 12:23 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Awesome, thanks Zach! I just got the car 2 weeks ago. Do you recommend a full detail from them to help protect the paint, or are new cars protected enough where I don't need a detail and protection?
I highly recommend a complete detail and paint coating installation right away. Now is the best time to be proactive and have the car properly cleaned, polished, and protected.

I work on many brand new cars each year, and the one thing I have to explain is that just because it is "brand new" does not mean it is "brand new".... what I mean is that regardless of how long you have owned it, or how long it was on the dealer lot, there have been many instances when the car could have become contaminated or damaged (swirls & marring in the paint). I have never seen a brand new car that could not benefit from a proper detail
Old 06-02-14, 01:00 PM
domonas
Driver School Candidate

I highly recommend a complete detail and paint coating installation right away. Now is the best time to be proactive and have the car properly cleaned, polished, and protected.

I work on many brand new cars each year, and the one thing I have to explain is that just because it is "brand new" does not mean it is "brand new".... what I mean is that regardless of how long you have owned it, or how long it was on the dealer lot, there have been many instances when the car could have become contaminated or damaged (swirls & marring in the paint). I have never seen a brand new car that could not benefit from a proper detail
I already have a paint chip Maybe they can fix that too with the detailing. I'll get in touch with them, but as their web site says, it's probably best to see them face to face so they can give me a proper estimate based on the current condition of my car.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-14, 04:33 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wash, polish, seal (coating) maintain... = 1 happy OB Lexus owner.
Old 06-04-14, 07:31 AM
domonas
Driver School Candidate

Here's that stupid paint chip

Old 06-04-14, 12:06 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gen an OEM lexus paint pen. If you want it perfect, whole fender/quarter will have to be repainted.
I like my oem black onyx paint pen. You can do a few coats of base color to actually build up thickness and try to get it smooth, then a dab of clear once the base is dry.
Old 06-04-14, 01:13 PM
domonas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
gen an OEM lexus paint pen. If you want it perfect, whole fender/quarter will have to be repainted.
I like my oem black onyx paint pen. You can do a few coats of base color to actually build up thickness and try to get it smooth, then a dab of clear once the base is dry.
Where do I get said paint pen Greg5OH? Please point me in the right direction.
Old 06-04-14, 01:42 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Where do I get said paint pen Greg5OH? Please point me in the right direction.
Dealership has touch up pens