Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Opti coat

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 01:05 PM
Davidgs350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti coat

Hi , Where in Brooklyn or Staten Island I can put opti coat for my black car
Old 05-15-14, 05:01 PM
dagwag77
Driver

First place to start would be Optimum's list of authorized detailers. There is one in Brooklyn but I don't know anything about them: http://www.signatureblueautocare.com/

I can personally recommend Bryan at Mr. Sparkle in West Babylon (Long Island), and I think the entire forum will vouch for Detailers Domain in NJ. If you're looking for super high end, I would recommend that you give Larry at Ammo NYC a call, he does amazing work. Feel free to PM me for more info on Larry @ Ammo NYC or Bryan as I have used both.
Old 05-15-14, 10:08 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Detailing Dynamics in Mineola Long Island does it. Great place.
Old 05-16-14, 03:15 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

+1 for mr. Sparkle!

He does great work.
Old 05-16-14, 06:50 AM
Rsnic
Rookie

Originally Posted by Davidgs350
Hi , Where in Brooklyn or Staten Island I can put opti coat for my black car
Another vote for Bryan at Mr. Sparkle in West Babylon, He did my 2014 Black IS and it turned out awesome.
Old 05-16-14, 07:19 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Rsnic
Another vote for Bryan at Mr. Sparkle in West Babylon, He did my 2014 Black IS and it turned out awesome.
Is your avatar pic from inside the 'Mr Sparkle' garage?

Looks like it
Old 05-16-14, 08:40 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

What is so hard about applying opti-coat? Do it yourself and save a ton of cash!
Old 05-16-14, 09:48 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Zinda
What is so hard about applying opti-coat? Do it yourself and save a ton of cash!
I think there is a bit more to it than you are leading on....

While OC2.0 is fairly straight forward to apply, OC Pro is entirely different and not nearly as "user friendly" hence why it is only available through authorized professionals. These coatings are similar, but still very different in that OC Pro is thicker, more chemical resistant, and is expected to perform better for longer periods of time.

Aside from that, the prep work involved requires much more time, knowledge, and work than most people are interested in doing. The initial investment in products and tools is well worth it if you plan on using them to maintain your vehicles on a regular basis, however for those who are not avid detailers, it would be money wasted and hiring a professional would definitely be the way to go.
Old 05-19-14, 04:54 AM
Rsnic
Rookie

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Is your avatar pic from inside the 'Mr Sparkle' garage?

Looks like it
That it is, its hard not to take a ton of pictures when your car looks better then when you picked it up from the dealership.
Old 05-19-14, 06:13 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

+1000 for Phil@DD... 55 Oak st. Norwood NJ. 30/45 minutes depending on traffic. Detailers Domain is the spot...
Old 05-20-14, 08:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I think there is a bit more to it than you are leading on....

While OC2.0 is fairly straight forward to apply, OC Pro is entirely different and not nearly as "user friendly" hence why it is only available through authorized professionals. These coatings are similar, but still very different in that OC Pro is thicker, more chemical resistant, and is expected to perform better for longer periods of time.

Aside from that, the prep work involved requires much more time, knowledge, and work than most people are interested in doing. The initial investment in products and tools is well worth it if you plan on using them to maintain your vehicles on a regular basis, however for those who are not avid detailers, it would be money wasted and hiring a professional would definitely be the way to go.
It seems like they have changed their descriptions of those products a little. From what I originally read there was no real difference or barely any difference in chemical resistance or longevity between OC Pro and OC2.0, the main difference was really just in ease of application/working time and the protection difference was miniscule. The manufacturer at first said they had basically the same protection/longevity but now it seems they have changed their position a little on protection/durability. That is interesting, is there a real difference or has maybe marketing changed because Opti Coat 2.0 would make Opti Coat Pro pretty much obsolete if they gave basically the same protection/durability.

http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=7195
Old 05-20-14, 09:09 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by UDel
It seems like they have changed their descriptions of those products a little. From what I originally read there was no real difference or barely any difference in chemical resistance or longevity between OC Pro and OC2.0, the main difference was really just in ease of application/working time and the protection difference was miniscule. The manufacturer at first said they had basically the same protection/longevity but now it seems they have changed their position a little on protection/durability. That is interesting, is there a real difference or has maybe marketing changed because Opti Coat 2.0 would make Opti Coat Pro pretty much obsolete if they gave basically the same protection/durability.

http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=7195
As Chris mentioned in that thread... Optimum (and all other premium detailing companies) are always improving their products behind the scenes, whether you know about it or not. OC Pro (previously known as "opti-guard") and OC2.0 are now distinctly different formulas. While the certainly do posses many of the same traits, OC Pro will be a stronger overall product.

Is it worth the added cost? That is ultimately up to the consumer. IMO OC2.0 is a great product in its own right, but for the peace of mind, OC Pro may be worth the added cost for many.
Old 05-30-14, 01:29 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too thought Opticoat 2.0 and the Opticoat pro are the same things except the ease of application.

How much better is pro comparing to 2.0?? Also, how long do i expect Opticoat 2.0 to last assuming I maintain the paint well regularly?

From the description, Opticoat can only be removed through polishing process. Does it mean i can expect the Opticoat to be on the car for a long time if i don't polish it?

How many layers of polishing would take Opticoat away?
Old 05-30-14, 09:05 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I too thought Opticoat 2.0 and the Opticoat pro are the same things except the ease of application. How much better is pro comparing to 2.0?? Also, how long do i expect Opticoat 2.0 to last assuming I maintain the paint well regularly? From the description, Opticoat can only be removed through polishing process. Does it mean i can expect the Opticoat to be on the car for a long time if i don't polish it? How many layers of polishing would take Opticoat away?
Definitely not the same products.

In a nutshell, 2.0 is a "weaker" version of pro. 2.0 is also made to flash MUCH slower for ease of application.

OC Pro is a thicker, more chemical resistant product, but they both have similar appearance and feel in my opinion. When Optimum says the product is "permanent", that does not mean it will bead and sheet water nicely forever.

The product can bond to the surface permanently, but it may not perform as it was intended. In reality, one can expect a couple of years of good life from 2.0 and many more from Pro with good general maintenance.

Don't read into this too much though... If you really want to maintain your vehicle, you should polish it (or have it polished) at least every 2-3 years as the paint will benefit from this process no matter how careful you are. Even if you don't have many swirls in your paint after this period of time, I would bet you have some water spotting and an overall slightly duller appearance compared to a freshly polished finish.

That is why I prefer the silica coatings over OC because they look and feel better, and I will be polishing my vehicle at least every 2 years, so I could care less if something could last longer. (Fwiw Finest can definitely outlast its 2 year warranty, and even CQUK will surpass the 2 year mark with fairly poor maintenance based on some independent testing).

OC can often be removed with fine to medium polishing as the coating is only about 1 micron thick on average

**i also want to make sure that I am being clear... ALL of these products are great. There are simply some small differences between them that may make one product "better" than another, but it is highly subjective and I am simply sharing my opinion based on a lot of use of each of these products. **

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 05-30-14 at 09:22 PM.