Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Looking for professional detailer in north Nj

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-17, 11:55 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for professional detailer in north Nj

Im looking for a professional detailer in north NJ who wont leave buffer trails all over my black car. I just paid for a horrendous job from someone with 20 years experience. I know black is tough but this is unacceptable work. I know detailing is a skillset and some are better then others. So please only respond if you have experience with a dark color car and quality work. Thanks

​​​​​​​
Old 11-11-17, 12:41 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I would highly recommend contacting forum sponsor Detailer's Domain. They are located in New Jersey and are regarded as some of the best in the business when it comes to high end detailing work.
Old 11-12-17, 06:49 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I would highly recommend contacting forum sponsor Detailer's Domain. They are located in New Jersey and are regarded as some of the best in the business when it comes to high end detailing work.
Ive heard of them but he wants from what I remember $500-$600 for an exterior detail. Thats a bit high dont you think? There are a ton of detail shops with an average price of $120. Im just looking to find someone with skills. Id maybe spring for the high priced job with my next car, but not this one as its 10 years old.
Old 11-12-17, 07:07 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

It's pretty hard to imagine getting a quality detail for $120. Have you thought about buying a buffer & some product and doing it yourself? Detailing products have come a long way in the past several years. I have metallic black and use Adam's products and couldn't be happier with the results. To me detailing is a fun and rather inexpensive hobby and seeing the results of my work is very rewarding since I only have to impress myself. The thought of someone touching my black paint who is not a pro is a terrifying thought. A guy sent me a pic. of a new black Challenger last week that looked absolutely horrible. I can only imagine what was used to wipe that car down. Looks like it was cleaned with paper towels.
Old 11-12-17, 07:28 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

If you want to pay less, my advice is to learn to DIY. You can purchase everything you need to do a better job than some bad "pros" for under $400.

If you want to hire a true paint correction professional, it can be expensive. For reference, our most basic level of paint correction work starts at $600 for a smaller sedan. Vehicles in need of more in-depth paint correction are easily pushing $1000+ and require several days of work.... You get what you pay for. No one is going to put the time in for a job like that for $120. You're looking at a proper wash & wax for $120 at best.
Old 11-12-17, 11:22 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You're gonna learn the hard way if you take it to the place that said they can do the full exterior for $120.
Old 11-12-17, 01:48 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You're gonna learn the hard way if you take it to the place that said they can do the full exterior for $120.
I couldn't agree more! That's about as scary as taking your Lexus to the dealer to have it detailed. $120 is a good start to getting an economically priced orbital and some product and DIY it.
Old 11-12-17, 05:00 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
It's pretty hard to imagine getting a quality detail for $120. Have you thought about buying a buffer & some product and doing it yourself? Detailing products have come a long way in the past several years. I have metallic black and use Adam's products and couldn't be happier with the results. To me detailing is a fun and rather inexpensive hobby and seeing the results of my work is very rewarding since I only have to impress myself. The thought of someone touching my black paint who is not a pro is a terrifying thought. A guy sent me a pic. of a new black Challenger last week that looked absolutely horrible. I can only imagine what was used to wipe that car down. Looks like it was cleaned with paper towels.
Im trying to retire from detailing lol. Thats why im looking to pay someone to do the work. I dont have the time or passion anymore. I use to do it twice a year by hand, clay, cleaner polish, then wax. While i didnt remove the swirls and scratches it looked pretty damn good and i never had any type of trail marks like I do now.
Old 11-12-17, 05:39 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
Im trying to retire from detailing lol. Thats why im looking to pay someone to do the work. I dont have the time or passion anymore. I use to do it twice a year by hand, clay, cleaner polish, then wax. While i didnt remove the swirls and scratches it looked pretty damn good and i never had any type of trail marks like I do now.
Be realistic, at my work we would charge about $125 for a wash and sealant application.

Foam cannon and APC > pressure wash entire vehicle including quick pressure washing of wheel wells > clean wheels inside and out (including calipers/rear barrels/behind the spokes) > 2 bucket wash > Touchless sealant application (something like Hydr02) on paint, glass, and wheels > blow dry the car and door jambs > quick wipe of all jambs and a couple minute engine wipedown unless engine is disgusting than we recommend to take it to a place and get it properly cleaned > wipe glass > spend 5 minute son interior which usually means vacuum driver side area > polish exhaust tips as needed > dress tires and other exterior trim.

Take about 1.5-2 hours unless the vehicle is very dirty than additional charges apply etc.

We are not on the expensive side either, so I question what another shop does for $120 that they consider a full exterior detail? I am guessing there is no buffer involved at all, no clay bar, etc.?

We call it a maintenance detail or something you do every few months. Kinda like a really thorough car wash, not a real detail.

If they are trying to sell you on some 3-stage "high speed buff" and clay bar for $120 than I recommend you RUN far away from any place like that.