Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 12-16-14, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Making your own wax at home?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 10:06 PM
pewterss
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been busy making new formulas and pretty impressive results.
Here is the latest video after washing my buddies car. Only did a small section of the front hood, take a look at the results.

Old 04-24-14, 01:51 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. That is amazing. I've been constantly checking this thread for your updates and I must say thats really impressive results.
Old 04-24-14, 08:07 AM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
Wow. That is amazing. I've been constantly checking this thread for your updates and I must say thats really impressive results.
Hey Chaos, thanks appreciate that and thanks for checking it out. I mean at this point I'm just making, mixing this and that doing more research and mixing again. Its def keeps your mind of daily BS, and girl drama... lol And at the same time, making something awesome. If I can get good pictures of my starfire pearl lexus I will post them. I'm not joking when I say you can't see **** because the sun is beaming off the car and totally messes up the picture. Car really shines, will send you a PM shortly.

PewterSS
Old 04-24-14, 11:30 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool stuff!!...next question is how long does it last?
Old 04-24-14, 01:52 PM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by MelYW
Cool stuff!!...next question is how long does it last?
Well I don't have an exact answer on that for now, being honest. But it SHOULD last 2 months, possibly 3. I haven't re-waxed the car in going on 3 weeks and it still looks fantastic.
Will probably wash it again this week and post the results and a video if the video comes out good.
Let me know if you guys have any other questions.
Old 04-24-14, 03:46 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't see the vid... I can hear the audio but can not see the vid???
Old 04-24-14, 05:10 PM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
I can't see the vid... I can hear the audio but can not see the vid???
Try clicking on the YouTube icon on the lower right hand corner. It should bring you to the video directly on Youtube's site. It might also be a codec issue, you might have to install one. Do you have quicktime installed ?
Old 04-24-14, 05:45 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, very impressive! May I suggest that you do a side by side comparison with some of the favorite waxes ( Chemical Guy, Poor's Boy, etc...) Basically divide your hood into several sections and that way all the waxes will be exposed the the same elements.
Btw, what scense are you putting into the wax? I was trying out Poor's Boy and they have Coconut (and my Filipina wife really like it
Old 04-24-14, 06:57 PM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Wow, very impressive! May I suggest that you do a side by side comparison with some of the favorite waxes ( Chemical Guy, Poor's Boy, etc...) Basically divide your hood into several sections and that way all the waxes will be exposed the the same elements.
Btw, what scense are you putting into the wax? I was trying out Poor's Boy and they have Coconut (and my Filipina wife really like it
I can certainly do this, BUT I don't have any of the items you mentioned. I used to use Meguires, mothers BUT i might have a friend who has some, I will ask him and see if I can grab it if he does. Would be a good comparison, true.

As for the smell, I do have coconut in there but in the end it smells like bubbalicious gum, another smells like black cherry and another smells like citrus with coconut.

Last edited by pewterss; 04-24-14 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 08:41 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

So what do you plan on doing when you have got the perfect MIX of wax? Sell it here or start your own brand?
Old 04-29-14, 09:55 PM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by finny76
So what do you plan on doing when you have got the perfect MIX of wax? Sell it here or start your own brand?
Not entirely sure yet, but my whole department where I work is asking me to make them some as well. I have 2 containers in CO, one on the way to CA, 2 to FL, and a bunch in NY and CT. I been giving them away for free so I can get some feedback,

But I did make several new batches tonight with a new formula and its looking great.
Can't wait to test it out on a new car.

If you want one, let me know and I'll be glad to send you one. (PM me)

John
Old 04-30-14, 05:07 PM
pewterss
Driver

Some pics after driving home in the rain today.
Attached Thumbnails Making your own wax at home?-img_7958.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_7957.jpg  
Old 05-22-14, 10:58 AM
pewterss
Driver

So I have been away for a bit, between sick family members and a wedding in Mexico, didn't have much time to make wax or post. For those of you that requested samples I will be making them tonight as I also just received an order of new jars. Over the weekend I plan on making something more.

My last 3 batches have been awesome stuff. I tested this past weekend an older batch that I wasn't using and noticed it had become hard, but that is also because it was in a gladware plastic container. Hard to apply and take off. Needless to say that is going into the garbage, samples of that will never be seen

Will submit more info and pics hopefully soon.

Pewterss
Old 05-23-14, 03:40 PM
pewterss
Driver

New batches made, I have some new ingredients coming in hopefully in another week. I now have all natural ingredients coming from Brazil, Philippines, the West Coast and other US locations.
This weekend I was looking forward to detailing my Camaro SS but it looks like its supposed to rain Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The only nice day is going to be memorial day so if I get lucky I will be able to do her up and post some videos of it, and pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Making your own wax at home?-img_8249.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_8251.jpg  
Old 05-27-14, 05:53 AM
pewterss
Driver

Ok so this weekend I was able to apply a few versions of the wax on my ride. The versions of wax I made last week I don't like, or not crazy about it. They still bring a super high gloss looks BUT I don't like the way the water beads, and the sheeting action is still good, but not better than my last video. Formula made last week is a bust for me, I want something alot better.

So on the hood of my car, the right side has mothers, while the left side and cowl has my wax.
The driver side front quarter panel has an formula 17 on it, which is alot better.

I ordered several new ingredients over the weekend after this test and will reformulate this week.

Quick Reply: Making your own wax at home?