Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 12-16-14, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Making your own wax at home?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 01:47 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I received Knight Crystals (#15) initial first thought after opening the lid was a nice non-over powering smell of cherries. Was finally able to use the wax this past week. Prepped my car for waxing, washed, clayed, some light swirl removal, and finally waxed. Don’t have a garage to work in so I did this all under a tent in an attempt to beat the sun from getting the car panels too hot. First few panels where I applied the wax I had no issue what so ever. It honestly had one of the “weirdest” textures in that it was almost butter like. I don’t mean that in a bad way, it was wonderful to apply. However, removal was another story. I wasn’t sure if this was drying faster on the panels or what but it was becoming increasingly difficult to remove. Then again I am also assuming its like other waxes in which you let it sit until it starts to haze a little. I started to take a different approach and would only wax a small area move to the next and then once finished I would wipe off the previous spot so about 20-30 seconds later. This was proving to be a much better method. Another weird thing that happened which may have been a result of the heat was that the wax in the jar became really soft after the top layer. Unsure if the heat had anything to do with this so I attempted again at night when the sun had gone down on one of the side panels that I left unwaxed and still similar results in that it would dry rather quickly and become harder to remove. However, the results were astonishing. Much better than the previous waxes I was using (collinite and nanoskin). I’ll post pictures soon. I will take a video this week when I have time to demonstrate the sheeting abilities/water beading. Apologize the review is a bit all over the place.

Just a short recap:

Pro:
Smell
Ease of application
Shine

Cons:
Removal

Will update this with pictures/video/durability rating
Old 05-29-14, 09:52 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope you can create something better than Collinite and even cheaper too, then I will be all over it
Old 05-29-14, 12:25 PM
pewterss
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
I received Knight Crystals (#15) initial first thought after opening the lid was a nice non-over powering smell of cherries. Was finally able to use the wax this past week. Prepped my car for waxing, washed, clayed, some light swirl removal, and finally waxed. Don’t have a garage to work in so I did this all under a tent in an attempt to beat the sun from getting the car panels too hot. First few panels where I applied the wax I had no issue what so ever. It honestly had one of the “weirdest” textures in that it was almost butter like. I don’t mean that in a bad way, it was wonderful to apply. However, removal was another story. I wasn’t sure if this was drying faster on the panels or what but it was becoming increasingly difficult to remove. Then again I am also assuming its like other waxes in which you let it sit until it starts to haze a little. I started to take a different approach and would only wax a small area move to the next and then once finished I would wipe off the previous spot so about 20-30 seconds later. This was proving to be a much better method. Another weird thing that happened which may have been a result of the heat was that the wax in the jar became really soft after the top layer. Unsure if the heat had anything to do with this so I attempted again at night when the sun had gone down on one of the side panels that I left unwaxed and still similar results in that it would dry rather quickly and become harder to remove. However, the results were astonishing. Much better than the previous waxes I was using (collinite and nanoskin). I’ll post pictures soon. I will take a video this week when I have time to demonstrate the sheeting abilities/water beading. Apologize the review is a bit all over the place.

Just a short recap:

Pro:
Smell
Ease of application
Shine

Cons:
Removal

Will update this with pictures/video/durability rating
Thanks for the honest review and def looking forward to some pictures. As for the removal, I will see what I can do. I haven't had an issue with my cars yet so it could be a heat factor. The wax was designed to wipe on, and then off so your second method does work best. However I have left it on the car for about 5-10 mins and it did get a little harder to remove but did come off. Again I'm in NY, and CT so the weather here isn't that hot. I am brewing up something else tonight that will haze a bit. Also hoping to make the removal even easier now... thank you for your feedback.

By the way, I was looking for that buttery feel Makes applying the wax a lot easier. Love the review there, "Weirdest", lol
Old 05-30-14, 09:14 AM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by reyoasian
I hope you can create something better than Collinite and even cheaper too, then I will be all over it
Well we will see, lol. I am aiming to make something that is better than anything else I have ever used. Something that I am excited about and proud of. You guys can be the judge of who its better than or not. Funny this whole thing started out with curiosity and now messing around with different methods, chemicals/ingredients. Made a new batch last night, will test it out over the weekend.
Old 05-31-14, 05:21 PM
Rx79394
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like you are getting some good results. I don't know if you are a member or not, but I have come to find out that Autopia is the go to car detailing forum.

I am sure this would catch some attention over there.

Anyways, seems like you are having fun and getting good results at the same time!
Old 05-31-14, 06:28 PM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by Rx79394
Seems like you are getting some good results. I don't know if you are a member or not, but I have come to find out that Autopia is the go to car detailing forum.

I am sure this would catch some attention over there.

Anyways, seems like you are having fun and getting good results at the same time!
Hey RX,

Thanks for the post and yeah def having fun with it. Making the wax is relaxing, might sound weird but whatever. I made a new batch this week and the new batch I think is by far the best one yet. Took care of the problem of it being hard to remove. The new batch actually comes off super easy, one wipe and its gone. I will check out autotopia for sure, thanks for that.

John
Old 06-03-14, 08:22 PM
pewterss
Driver

Anyone care for Blue !!
Attached Thumbnails Making your own wax at home?-img_8320.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_8321.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_8322.jpg  
Old 06-05-14, 09:46 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven't had time to do anything with the sample you sent me, but I will be trying it out this weekend on a white BMW and will post results
Old 06-05-14, 10:10 PM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by 99rx
I haven't had time to do anything with the sample you sent me, but I will be trying it out this weekend on a white BMW and will post results
no worries and looking forward to it. If you have any questions let me know.
Old 06-24-14, 09:12 AM
pewterss
Driver

So after making the blue one, I went ahead and waxed my ride. After a impressive rain storm a few days ago I snapped these pics up. Car sat outside while at the gym, came out to this.....
Attached Thumbnails Making your own wax at home?-img_8390.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_8391.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_8393.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_8394.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_8395.jpg  

Old 06-24-14, 05:13 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you may have a winner right there. The rounded edges of the droplets are impressive.
Old 06-24-14, 08:08 PM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
I think you may have a winner right there. The rounded edges of the droplets are impressive.
Yeah this one I think I like the best. I can say this, first 13 weren't as good, they beaded and weren't bad but this latest one I think is where its at. Like you said the rounded edges is what I was aiming for

Finished making several containers tonight of the latest batch, i should have a few extras !!!
Old 06-25-14, 05:55 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I used the sample you sent me this past weekend, and WOW! I loved it. I will post some pictures the next time it rains. I used it on the garage car, so I'll pull it out next time it rains.
Old 06-25-14, 10:40 AM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by 99rx
I used the sample you sent me this past weekend, and WOW! I loved it. I will post some pictures the next time it rains. I used it on the garage car, so I'll pull it out next time it rains.
Awesome, can't wait to see some pics of the ride
Old 06-29-14, 11:06 AM
CarlitosPR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Job! Awesome pics...

Quick Reply: Making your own wax at home?