Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What kind of leather cleaner and conditioner do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-13, 11:08 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up What kind of leather cleaner and conditioner do you use?

As the title states, im just trying to find out what you guys use to clean and condition your leather interior. I was looking on Amazon and found Lexol seems to get decently good reviews. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance fellas!

- Art
Old 12-29-13, 11:00 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have detailer that comes to my house, but I provide him with all the supplies since I have a hatred towards Meguirs. I have him use Lexol leather cleaner to clean all the surfaces expect the aluminum and wood. Then he uses the Lexol leather conditioner to condition, trick is to leave it on about to minute to minute and a half, then wipe what ever hasn't been soaked in by the leather already. He uses it on the plastics too. He cleans all the aluminum surface with a towel with some spray wax on it and I have him wax the wood with Swissvax automotive wood wax, its expensive but it'll last a lifetime because you don't have to put a thick layer of it.
Old 12-30-13, 09:11 AM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Lexol (cleaner and conditioner), Meguiar's, and Zaino Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner and Z-10 Leather in a Bottle conditioner (which leaves a rich leather smell as a benefit). All are very good for cleaning and protecting our leather.

I also have heard good things about Aerospace protectant, but have never used it myself.

I would avoid any and all things Armor All...Leaves the surface much too slick and shiny.

Whatever you choose, always test on a small area to make sure it works well with your leather, and also to get the feel of how to use it (ie, how much to use, how hard to scrub, etc).
Old 12-31-13, 07:31 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexol for personal use and treatment, Leatherique for customer purposes on badly neglected leather.

Meguiar's I have found doesn't leave a pleasant scent but I do use their interior quick detailer for all dash and plastics for UV protection without any gloss.
Old 12-31-13, 09:12 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

To answer this question correctly you need to understand what material you're sitting on.

This link contains the information that will help you determine what you're sitting on and what to use on it.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1...in-my-vehicle/

http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1...entification/#

"Always remember you are dealing with the finished coating on the leather and not with the leather hide itself "

I've been using Aerospace 303 for awhile now, and I think the stuff is just amazing for interior detailing, but it's also very expensive. It's specifically marketed to clean and protect(in one step) the standard automotive grade 'fake' leather and vinyl dash and door panels that most cars come with.

Last edited by RyanV; 12-31-13 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-31-13, 03:53 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

I use Leather Master's strong leather cleaner and their leather protectant cream. It does a great job of cleaning the leather, and the protectant seems to keep stains at bay. I've been using this for a year on my RX350's very light colored leather and have had no blue jeans dye transfer on my seats, and I wear blue jeans nearly every day.
Old 01-01-14, 07:20 AM
darinmg
Driver

I use Malco to clean and 303 to condition after (warn water rinse in between). Been using them on my cars and boat interiors for years. Both work so well I don't have any desire to try something else.
Old 01-02-14, 08:57 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

i use 303 aerospace but just got some ultima interior guard. Can't wait til spring to try it!
Old 01-06-14, 12:59 AM
rhyle07
Driver School Candidate

Been using Leatherique for a couple years and I'm very pleased with the result. I also have the 303 aerospace but for the plastic interior and exterior pieces.
Old 01-06-14, 06:36 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harleymark
I've used Lexol (cleaner and conditioner), Meguiar's, and Zaino Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner and Z-10 Leather in a Bottle conditioner (which leaves a rich leather smell as a benefit). All are very good for cleaning and protecting our leather.

I also have heard good things about Aerospace protectant, but have never used it myself.

I would avoid any and all things Armor All...Leaves the surface much too slick and shiny.

Whatever you choose, always test on a small area to make sure it works well with your leather, and also to get the feel of how to use it (ie, how much to use, how hard to scrub, etc).
+1 good advice.
I use Lexol products.
Old 01-06-14, 10:18 AM
Rogarven
Rookie

Originally Posted by Autoplak
+1 good advice.
I use Lexol products.
I used to use Amorall years ago but quit using it. I am glad you are happy with Lexol. I used it and was not really that happy with them, especially the cleaner. I have ordered Leather Masters and am anxious to use it .
Old 01-09-14, 04:03 PM
Rogarven
Rookie

Okay, LM strong cleaner and protector came in the mail today. I went out and used them. Question though: what do I use to get in the creases of the bolsters ? I am afraid to rub too hard to try to get the dark crease lines there? Same thing with the Lexol. Do I need brushes or something? Certainly don't want to do anything to make creases crack . Thanks for answering my dumb questions.
Old 01-09-14, 04:16 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Spinneybeck for all leather surfaces and Protectant 303 for all plastic, rubber and vinyl surfaces. These are expensive to buy initially but they last a long time between treatment (and you dont need much)
Old 01-09-14, 08:53 PM
wyee99
Pole Position

I went to the dealership to buy leather cleaner and conditioner, but not sure how well it will work...
Old 01-10-14, 07:56 AM
rustyd
Rookie

On my other cars, I use Mothers VLR or warm water and a microfiber towel to clean the leather. I use Blackfire leather conditioner when needed and also have used Aero 303 on the dash and other interior panels. Ulitma Interior Guard Plus is good to use on all surfaces and leaves a real nice feel on your leather seats.