Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water-less Car Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 10:16 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
don't hurt em Z... they're not ready for this yet. nice shot BTW.

Originally Posted by reyoasian
y tell me something i know and have and use
Now how was I supposed to know that you used ONRWW when you only made reference to using ONR, but mentioned that another product you had tried (Croftgate?) contained a wax. No need to get sarcastic about it when I was obviously trying to help .

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 12-18-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-18-13, 03:37 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i love ONR, awesome product.
Old 12-18-13, 04:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Randre19
Any suggestions for other products?? Basically looking to use no water because I dont want to get my garage all wet. Sounds stupid i know.
When you get good at using ONR your garage doesn't get wet. When I do mine I get maybe 10 drops of liquid on the floor. The truck is to wring out your wash pad enough that theres not a lot of wasted water.

Originally Posted by rmillsISF
Trust me, the soap and jet of water help knock off simple dust that otherwise is left in the fins of the engine with the waterless car wash. it won't get road grime or settled dirt, but there's a lot of nooks and crannies that a simple waterless car wash won't help with unless you can get something in there and wipe. Try it a few times and you would see...
I don't have to "try it a few times", I've been detailing cars for 20 years, some of those years professionally. I've used it all, all manner of soaps, wash media, towels, foam cannons, spray on waterless wash systems, and mix in a bucket systems like this ONR or Protect-All's Quick and Easy Wash. I have washed hundreds and hundreds of cars in dozens of different ways.

When I wash a car with ONR its just as clean as a car washed with a hose...foam cannon...whatever. The only drawback is not being able to flush out the undercarriage, but that doesn't need to be done every time. Your issue is a mental hangup...nothing more.

Try ONR a few times and you will see...to use your language. Don't discount something if you haven't used it.
Old 12-26-13, 02:31 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, you have options. I used ONR before. Great product. One day I ran out and saw a post from Syd... I went to Wal Mart to grab a bottle of Turtle No Rinse WW. IMO, this product gives me more shine than ONR. I didn't have the ONRWW so I always had to top it off with wax spray to get the shine I want. With the Turtle product, I don't feel needed anymore. Sometimes when I really want to get more shine, I top it off with spray wax but not all the time. For me the biggest saving from this method is the amount of time needed to dry the vehicle when compared to traditional wash. It's also really convenient when it's cold outside. I was very skeptical about this but gave it a try. I love it. I still do traditional wash but only when the car is really dirty. Here is a picture after Turtle No Rinse WW with Quik Wax Spray.
Attached Thumbnails Water-less Car Wash?-0658-small-framed.jpg  
Old 12-26-13, 06:19 PM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS

I don't have to "try it a few times", I've been detailing cars for 20 years, some of those years professionally. I've used it all, all manner of soaps, wash media, towels, foam cannons, spray on waterless wash systems, and mix in a bucket systems like this ONR or Protect-All's Quick and Easy Wash. I have washed hundreds and hundreds of cars in dozens of different ways.

When I wash a car with ONR its just as clean as a car washed with a hose...foam cannon...whatever. The only drawback is not being able to flush out the undercarriage, but that doesn't need to be done every time. Your issue is a mental hangup...nothing more.

Try ONR a few times and you will see...to use your language. Don't discount something if you haven't used it.
Well, obviously the money I've made from detailing has been all for not and I should have sent them your way instead since you know it all. I'm trying to give the OP my experience that he can make a decision and see what I've seen of the product not based on my experience but it with others on this board that are posting. Detail one bike using this stuff and you'll see what I'm talking about. It woks fine for my car, but on the bike it's a whole different animal with hard to reach crannies all over, where I prefer soap and water. My preference. For winter time washes it's a great product, but I still prefer a good wash with water over all. You can take 20 people on detailing forums and get 20 different answers, but that's just my opinion. SW13GS, if you want to just be a total troll about it keep going because you obviously know every product and proper use of it all and have read every book and article out there. Until then let people voice opinions and experiences and use the forum as intended.

Last edited by rmillsISF; 12-26-13 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-26-13, 07:52 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obscene14
Yep, my Obsidian came with a slightly marred right front fender. Otherwise the paint is perfect. I'm not to concerned because the car is a short term lease and I definitely will be returning it when the lease is over. Big time remorse for leasing a 250 instead of the 350.
I agree. I like the way the IS handled, but it's not roomy enough!
Old 12-27-13, 04:37 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Randre19
Any suggestions for other products?? Basically looking to use no water because I dont want to get my garage all wet. Sounds stupid i know.
I use meguiar's rinseless wash and wax. It's their pro detailers line. You can get it at auto geek

The professional detailer that I have maintain my car helped meguiar's develop this product. I have been using it since July and find it's a really good easy to use product. My detailer taught me how to apply it and take it off with microfiber cloths. and there is a video on meguiar's website telling you how to do it

If you follow some of my posts I recently this past Tuesday had my car polished by my detailer and he was extremely happy to see how well I am maintaining my car and I have no swirls in it from my wash method. My detailer is Superior Shine and you can check out his Facebook page to see the types of cars that this guy does

Highly recommend the meguiar's product as it's a rinseless wash and wax all-in-one and it's easy to apply and easy to remove
Old 01-03-14, 07:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by rmillsISF
Detail one bike using this stuff and you'll see what I'm talking about. It woks fine for my car, but on the bike it's a whole different animal with hard to reach crannies all over, where I prefer soap and water.
But we're not talking about washing a bike, we're talking about washing a car...so as you said it works fine for your car.

Voice your opinions all you want, theres a difference between saying that you prefer to do things a certain way and saying that a product or technique doesn't work. ONR works. Period. If you don't prefer washing that way, then say that...but don't say it doesn't work. According to your post you haven't even used the product we're discussing, you've used a Griots product. Griots doesn't offer a product that is at all comparable to ONR, they have a Spray on car wash which I also have and have used and is not at all comparable...in order to "give the OP your experience" you need to have experience with the product to give...

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-03-14 at 07:41 AM.