Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to remove CQuartz?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 07:09 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How to remove CQuartz?

What's the best way to remove CQuartz? I applied some last night on my black IS and didn't realize until this morning that I didn't completely remove all of it. Now my windows look hazy and streaked, as well as one door panel. I tried wiping it off but that doesn't help. Would I have to polish it out and reapply it or is there a better way?
Old 11-19-13, 05:40 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

You applied CQuartz to you windows only, or painted surfaces too?

In any case, once the coating has started to cure, the only way to remove it is with abrasives... ie machine polishing.
Old 11-19-13, 08:10 AM
Piraiba
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Machine polishing will do the trick like Zach said.

Weird thing about CQuartz (Finest) is that if you read the label and follow their directions and "buff off" the coating after 1-5 minutes depending on temperature, you will simply remove the coating. The direction on the bottle are wrong, you need to wait a minimum of 9-10 minutes for the coating to bond and cure.

I made the mistake of following direction on my first application, but Corey from Carpro told me face to face you must not follow the direction on the label lol. I know it sounds funny but that's the truth.
Old 11-19-13, 08:21 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Doubt the OP had CQFinest... in any case, I'd be interested in seeing pics of the issue.
Old 11-19-13, 07:35 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not have CQuartz Finest. It's just regular CQuartz since I couldn't find CQuartz Finest for sale online. I applied it on all paint surfaces of my car and the windows. However, I didn't get it all off on the side windows and an area on the front passenger side door. Guess I'll buff it out and reapply it. Thanks!
Old 11-20-13, 07:31 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by chi123
I do not have CQuartz Finest. It's just regular CQuartz since I couldn't find CQuartz Finest for sale online. I applied it on all paint surfaces of my car and the windows. However, I didn't get it all off on the side windows and an area on the front passenger side door. Guess I'll buff it out and reapply it. Thanks!
You had mentioned to me that you had recently opti-coated your vehicle....

Originally Posted by chi123
...last month, I corrected my paint with Megauires M105 and M205 and use Opti-Coat afterwards. It didn't come out completely free of paint defects but I'm happy with the difference.
....did you properly remove OC before installing CQuartz? Once OC has fully cured, it can be difficult to remove. You would've needed to machine polish (possibly compound + polish) to remove it in which case you would probably have known that is how you needed to remove the CQ as well.

Why did you feel the need to apply CQ at all if you had already Opti-Coated your vehicle?

Also, CQ Finest is available only to authorized professional installers, that is why you cannot purchase it online or from anyone.