Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Crow feet on paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 08:05 PM
sgmbab
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crow feet on paint

So I came outside today and notice some crow feet on my top of my trunk lid, which pretty much ruined my whole day. This is unusual as I wash and wax my car frequently, although it does park outside everyday. And as far as I know, the trunk lid has never been repainted. Now I'm looking for some opinions before making my next move. Just wondering how much does it cost to repaint the trunk lid and does anyone have any experience with this problem before? Any advice will be greatly appreciated it.
Attached Thumbnails Crow feet on paint-image.jpeg   Crow feet on paint-photo.jpg  
Old 09-23-13, 06:01 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

never saw that before. are you sure that can't be polished out?
Old 09-23-13, 07:08 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like clear coat failure due to bird dropping damage to me. Appears to have etched through the clear and if so, likely it can't be safely polished out.
Old 09-23-13, 10:40 AM
sgmbab
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think applying a coating like cquartz, opti-coat, or 22ple will stop the damage? Also, is this cover under Lexus Warranty for paint corrosion.
Old 09-23-13, 01:18 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Since there appear to be two duplicate threads, i will copy my response into this one as well....

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
As already stated - these appear to be the results of bird bombs left on the paint.

Bird bombs contain uric acid which can eat through clear coat very quickly. Given the darker color of your paint, your surface is prone to higher surface temps when the car is sitting outside. These higher surface temps soften the paint and make it even more vulnerable to damage. While sealant and/or wax is absolutely necessary to help protect your paint, it is no match for bird bombs. Wax is also very temperature sensitive, so if you live in a warmer climate, your wax can diminish very quickly (if you use a natural carnauba wax, you shoudl reapply every 2-4 weeks in warmer temps!). Sometimes, bird bombs can leave permanent damage in a matter of LESS than 1 hour! Your photos show clear coat failure, which would have taken more time than that, but the idea is still the same... remove bird bombs immediately!

Please checkout these articles for more information:

How long does it take for a bird dropping to etch paint?

How to safely remove bird droppings

Do you think applying a coating like cquartz, opti-coat, or 22ple will stop the damage? Also, is this cover under Lexus Warranty for paint corrosion.
^Applying a coating should help protect these areas in the future, but damage like this won't typically spread from my experience. "Peeling clear coat" is a type of failure that will continue to spread, but these etchings are usually isolated to the areas that were compromised by the acidic bird bombs.

It SHOULD NOT be covered under warranty as it is not a manufacturing defect of any kind, and could be ruled as neglect by the owner.