Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Crow feet on paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 12:33 PM
sgmbab
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Crow feet on paint

So I came outside today and notice some crow feet on my top of my trunk lid, which pretty much ruined my whole day. This is unusual as I wash and wax my car frequently, although it does park outside everyday. And as far as I know, the trunk lid has never been repainted. Now I'm looking for some opinions before making my next move. Just wondering how much does it cost to repaint the trunk lid and does anyone have any experience with this problem before? Any advice will be greatly appreciated it.
Attached Thumbnails Crow feet on paint-image.jpeg   Crow feet on paint-photo.jpg  

Last edited by sgmbab; 09-22-13 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 12:45 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the crows feet are just in a few coin-sized spots they're most likely the result of bird poop. If they're all over, then it's widespread clearcoat failure.

In either case, you can't repair them. Other than a repaint (and many places won't warrant the job unless they sand to bare metal), all you can do is slow down the inevitable destruction. Keeping several coats of a good sealant, or a coating on it at all times can reduce the rate of deterioration to the point where the damage essentially stops. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee many years ago that developed crows feet on the contour lines of the hood, and I was able to halt the destruction by keeping multiple coats of sealant on the hood. For about three years it didn't get any worse. Then I sold it, and with just a couple years of neglect the car experienced complete clearcoat failure on all the horizontal surfaces.
Old 09-23-13, 05:54 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm dealing with the same thing.
Old 09-23-13, 10:44 AM
sgmbab
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think lexus will cover this under warranty? I've read that Honda had the same problem with the paint and issued a TSB.
Old 09-23-13, 11:03 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgmbab
Do you think lexus will cover this under warranty? I've read that Honda had the same problem with the paint and issued a TSB.
That second one looks like the result of bird poop etching (because it's looks like an isolated spot), and I wouldn't expect to see it covered by any warranty. If all the horizontal panels were covered with these, maybe you'd have a chance, but it would have to be a common problem, with lots of owners having the same problem.
Old 09-23-13, 11:58 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

As already stated - these appear to be the results of bird bombs left on the paint.

Bird bombs contain uric acid which can eat through clear coat very quickly. Given the darker color of your paint, your surface is prone to higher surface temps when the car is sitting outside. These higher surface temps soften the paint and make it even more vulnerable to damage. While sealant and/or wax is absolutely necessary to help protect your paint, it is no match for bird bombs. Wax is also very temperature sensitive, so if you live in a warmer climate, your wax can diminish very quickly (if you use a natural carnauba wax, you shoudl reapply every 2-4 weeks in warmer temps!). Sometimes, bird bombs can leave permanent damage in a matter of LESS than 1 hour! Your photos show clear coat failure, which would have taken more time than that, but the idea is still the same... remove bird bombs immediately!

Please checkout these articles for more information:

How long does it take for a bird dropping to etch paint?

How to safely remove bird droppings