Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zanio z10 on cool/heated isx50?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-13, 02:13 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zanio z10 on cool/heated isx50?

I have z10 and wanted to know if I could use this on cool/heated seats in my IS? Thanks
Old 05-22-13, 04:19 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yes.

I have ventilated seats and I use the z9 and z10 combo; LOVE the smell
Old 05-22-13, 04:24 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

Thanks! It doesn't harden the leather does it?
Old 05-22-13, 04:51 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I had no problem using Z9/Z10 for the 8 years I owned my 2002 SC430 or the 7+ years I owned my 2006 RX400h. Both rides had near perfect seats, with the exception of some amount of natural wrinkles showing at the time of sale/trade-in -- with comments from the buyers my auto still looked like new.

My experience is the products do not harden the leather, but rather some leather with harder coatings on it's finish naturally become more brittle over time if not taken care of. Personally, I wipe my seats down with a clean, damp (with water), towel each week when I wash my rides, and apply a protectant such as Z10 only every few weeks. A cleaner such as Z9 is used less sporatically, even when I had to maintain the ecru (off-white) interior of my former SC430 convertible for those many years after all my top-down road trips. I believe the combination of weekly hydration of the leather, with appropriate and not excessive, use of quality protectant/cleaner contributes to my leather being maintained as good as it has been for many years, and continues to be today.

BTW and FWIW, before purchasing my 2013 RX450h with my first semi-analine heated/ventilated seats and those perforations they have, I contacted Sal (as in "Zaino"). He changed the formulation of Z9/10 a while back to not be "as thick" (my words) as some people were reporting the old formulation was clogging the perforations. His comment to me was Z9/10 would have no problem with my semi-analine perforated leather.

Last edited by BertL; 05-22-13 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added semi-analine/Sal comment
Old 05-22-13, 05:00 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

Thank BertL, so weekly use damp microfiber and monthly use z10?
Old 05-22-13, 05:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

no problem using z10 here
Old 05-22-13, 08:00 PM
BertL
Racer

Originally Posted by mililani00
Thank BertL, so weekly use damp microfiber and monthly use z10?
Yeah, a weekly damp towel. I tend to put on the Z10 every 6-8 weeks, but it sort of depends how it goes... A little more often on my drivers seat vs. the others, since I'm a solo driver much of the time. If the seat looks a bit dirty, I do the Z9 thing to it with a clean white cloth so I can tell when it's clean, let it dry, then put Z10 on. I do the whole interior set of seats, including dash, arm rests, etc as I said every 6-8 weeks or so regardless. More when I've been using the truck, less if not. I purposely try to use less products than more if I can. Make sense?
Old 05-22-13, 10:23 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

Gotya, what about the doors and dash?you use z10 too?
Old 05-23-13, 04:19 AM
BertL
Racer

Z10 can be used on natural leather and interior synthetic materials like your door panels and dash. I verified that years ago with "the man", and still use it on my rides today vs. another dedicated vinyl or other sort of protectant or general purpose interior product.

On the dash, it all depends on the look you're going after -- some folks swear by other products with their slightly different matte or shiny appearance. Z10 works for me just fine -- does not attract dust, or have any other negative attributes some of the cheap silicon-based products have. It's very subjective in the end.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-13, 04:56 AM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Z10 here too, but an application of leatherique every summer keeps it soft.
Old 05-23-13, 02:56 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bert, what's your method of application for these products? At the moment I'm using Blackfire, but will be switching to Z9/Z10 for my leather. Do you spray yours directly onto the leather or on a microfiber towel and then wipe onto leather?
Old 05-23-13, 03:36 PM
BertL
Racer

I have a dedicated foam pad for each product, and for different colors, e.g black (dash and tops of door panels) and parchment (seats, armrests, etc). I'm a bit paranoid wanting to avoid any possible color transfer given the light interior I have. To use, I put product on the applicator, then spread it onto the seat, dash, etc.

In the case of the cleaner, I use a white terry cloth towel to wipe off the seats, etc after I worked n the Z9 with the foam applicator -- the white terry towel helps me know when I've got all the dirt off and if I need to repeat. When it's dry, the conditioner goes on.

I put conditioner on with its dedicated applicator for a particular color, let it sit for an hour or so, then use a medium weight microfiber towel to just wipe off everything.. It helps smooth out any places where I perhaps put a little too much or not enough product (especially important on the dash) so it looks even.

After use, I wash the applicators out with Dawn, let dry for a couple of days (they'll grow mildew otherwise), then keep them in a labeled unsealed ZipLoc bag with my supplies.

Process works well for me.

As an aside and for full disclsure, I've used Z9/10 since the late '90s. Love the whole product line, especially the Z10 smell. ...but I am using Leather Masters now on my semi-aniline parchment seats... Read some good things here from a couple of people that seem to really know their stuff about it working well, and being easy to remove blue jean transfer which is so problematic on light leather seats and I dealt with for many years with my SC... Zaino was not bad with my SC430 Ecru interior, but was a bit of a challenge, so for the heck of it, I switched when my new 2013 RXh arrived last year and now use Leather Masters on my parchment interior, but still use Z9/10 on my dash and other synthetic interior surfaces. It ended up being a good compromise for me... I get the great smell with the Zaino leather products, and what at least seems to be easier maintenance with my parchment leather. The reality is, I recommend both product lines to friends these days... leading with Zaino, but suggesting Leather Masters if the person has white or very light leather.

Hope that helps.