Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wax that doesn't attract dust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-13, 10:18 AM
lexbabe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax that doesn't attract dust?

Hi, just wondering if anyone knew an otc wax that doesn't attract dust? Thanks
Old 05-25-13, 08:04 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexbabe
Hi, just wondering if anyone knew an otc wax that doesn't attract dust? Thanks
that's a good inquiry... but dust particles will land where they may, there's no way around it. i use Sonax Polymer Net Shield and it seems to minimize the dust that sleeps on my car, but it's not over the counter.
Old 05-25-13, 09:53 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Whenever you rub the car... ie apply wax... You are creating a static charge on the surface of the vehicle. This allows dust to cling to the surface easier.

It is just part of having a nicely detailed vehicle unfortunately. I enjoy my 22ple coating since it does not attract dust as bad as a carnauba wax.
Old 05-26-13, 05:26 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with sydtoosic and zmcgovern4 -- you're going to have dust on anything you use to protect your finish. I think it's difficult to have anything but subjective responses from most of us, as we probably don't keep our rides with multiple types of wax, sealant, coatings or some hybrid of those on at any one time to really test the results side-by-side for long.

All that being said, IMHO, I switched from using carnauba wax (Zymol) to using a sealant to protect and enhance the look of my finish coming up on 20 years ago. Not only was Zaino faster and easier to apply but it had months of durability compared to wax. The side benefit for me was it seemed to stay cleaner longer -- perhaps because of the general durability, but also perhaps it is a simple 5-minute job to wipe-on/wipe-off the associated QD (Z6 or Z8) that eliminates dust while enhancing the look and prolonging Zaino's durability. Other folks with their favorite sealants and newer coatings will likely say similar things about the products they use.

OP, you used the word "wax" in your original post -- unsure if you really meant that specifically, or any good product to protect your finish. Anyway, I seem to always be reading and trying to keep up with reviews, forums and products out there... I have no experience with it, and probably never will given it's $199/jar cost, but if you really did want a carnauba-based product, SwissVax Shield claims to have a specific forumulation to help keep dirt, bugs, etc off your finish. Take a look at that link and then do a few searches -- you'll come up with the same reviews and comments on it that I did.

Good luck.

Last edited by BertL; 05-26-13 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Fixed my english
Old 05-26-13, 09:23 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Agreed with zmcgovern4. From the several coatings I've tried, (Wolf's HB, Wolf's BW, 22PLE, etc.), they don't attract dust like a wax does, and part of it, as was mentioned above, is the way it's applied. You are not "rubbing" it into the paint like a typical paste wax.

Either way, I noticed most waxes and sealants don't attract dust after the first car wash after application.
Old 05-26-13, 12:51 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd rather use a good sealant than wax, much better paint protection.

I like rejex.
Old 05-27-13, 07:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Actually, wax is a better form of protection, however sealant is just more durable. That is why it is common to lay down a coat of wax on top of sealant.
Old 05-27-13, 02:58 PM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

I just put a carnauba on my car recently and let me tell you as good as they look skip it during pollen season.

I would say if you want something that will last long and not cost as much as a coating try

Sonax Polymer Net Shield or Menzerna Power Lock or Auto Finesse Tough Coat
Old 05-28-13, 02:50 PM
lexbabe
Rookie

thank you everyone, greatly appreciate all the great advice
Old 05-30-13, 09:52 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just find something you like and stick with it. No matter what, traffic film, airborne contaminants, and moisture from the air will affect the surface of whatever protection you put on. Just some food for thought