Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Orbital Polisher

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 05:51 PM
gorilaFART
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab

T In my area, the local ACE hardware store is an authorized Porter-Cable repair center. If I need service, I don't need to send my unit away for weeks while it gets repaired. I can get it serviced in hours and get back to work. This is more important to me than handle design or a fractional amount of increased rotation under extra-heavy pressure.
do you know if all ace hardware stores are an authorized porter cable repair center? or just the one near you?
Old 01-23-13, 06:39 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Thinking about the OP's question on "best bang for the buck"....why no mention of Harbor Freight's Dual Action Polisher that is $48 with the ever present 20% of coupon? (reg price is $80 but always on sale for $60).

If you google it, many people seem very satisfied w it. I would say that this is perfect for a beginner and for someone that is the occassional polisher.

Doubt I'd feel comfortable polishing my car more than once a year (and probably less) as you take a small amt of clear coat every time.

Downside maybe that some may want to replace the 6 inch backing plate with a 5 incher?

I have not picked up a PC as I havent wanted to dump $100+ on something I will rarely use. As another poster said, spend the dough on nicer pads and polish? Thoughts anyone?
Old 01-23-13, 07:32 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

You shouldn't need to really polish your paint even once a year after you fully correct it if you wash and dry it properly and do not add more swirls and scratches.

You can use your buffer to apply glazes, sealants, and waxes multiple times each year.
Old 01-23-13, 10:35 PM
TUNG
Pole Position

zmcgovern4 ^^ He's the man if you need help on what you need to get to detail your car.

Zach's a great help and would provide you with good information and knowledge of doing it!!
Old 01-24-13, 10:34 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

[QUOTE=zmcgovern4;7718112]

The difference between "entry level" DA polishers (PC, meguiars, griot's) these days is pretty minimal, however the pad + product combination makes all of the difference! I think that should be your area of focus.

QUOTE]

^^ Thanks zmc, you were also the one I quoted on spend it on the pads and product....not the DA.
Old 01-24-13, 10:50 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

I would have to disagree the PC and the Griots are a very big difference, the Griot's has more power, same price, as well as a life time warranty against defects.

The pads do matter but the machine matters as well. We retired all of our PC 7424XP's for the better Griot's machine 2 years ago, our productivity increases, our corrections were better. That being said there is a new DA in town that trumps all of them the Rupes BigFoot series of orbital polishers. They are much more but they are worth every penny in the shop for the pro and the guy doing it on the side.

Again just an opinion from someone who does this just about everyday.
Old 01-24-13, 11:28 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by detailersdomain
I would have to disagree the PC and the Griots are a very big difference, the Griot's has more power, same price, as well as a life time warranty against defects.

The pads do matter but the machine matters as well. We retired all of our PC 7424XP's for the better Griot's machine 2 years ago, our productivity increases, our corrections were better. That being said there is a new DA in town that trumps all of them the Rupes BigFoot series of orbital polishers. They are much more but they are worth every penny in the shop for the pro and the guy doing it on the side.

I agree the polisher does matter very much... and to be honest, I didn't know the GG and PC were so closely matched in price. Given that they are the same price (or very similar depending on the site you are shopping on), the GG would be a great choice with it's additional power.

For the "average" car owner, that may need to use the polisher a handful of times per year, I don't think a $350 rupes unit is very reasonable. However if you've got the extra pocket change lying around - go for it! As the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and I've heard nothing but fantastic reviews on those machines.

Side note: Was cruising through your website and Facebook page the other day... you guys do great work! Keep it up!
Old 01-24-13, 01:03 PM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

thanks very much!
Old 01-26-13, 07:07 AM
Mojo122
Driver

Originally Posted by detailersdomain
That being said there is a new DA in town that trumps all of them the Rupes BigFoot series of orbital polishers. They are much more but they are worth every penny in the shop for the pro and the guy doing it on the side.

How does the Rupes compare to the Flex?
Old 01-26-13, 09:14 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

I favor the Rupes over the Flex.

If you are around come by and test them out for yourself.