Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW downgrades their warranty to 3/36 from 4/50!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 12:07 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs down VW downgrades their warranty to 3/36 from 4/50!?!?!?!

I never heard about this until I started a GTI search...I knew they were throwing in free maintenance but wasn't aware of the crap bumper-to-bumper warranty downgrade from 4/50 down to 3/36.

So even if you buy a certified used car the warranty will be 5/60, lame IMO.

even so, I really like the GTI refresh...(I requested a review from MMarshall )

Last edited by bagwell; 02-02-10 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 12:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

4yr 50k warranty seems standard. Its about time they catch up. I think Honda is a bit light on the warranty. With VW it may help a few extra buyers pick up a VW but warranty extension has little to do with the horrible track record many VWs have
Old 02-02-10, 12:29 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though the Jetta and Golf/GTI/other variants share a lot of components and engineering, the Golf has been made in Brazil and Germany (current Golf is made in Germany) while the Jetta has been made in Mexico for ages.

While the Golf/GTI doesn't seem to have outstanding reliability, it is an overall higher-quality product and seemingly less issue-prone than the Jetta, which is just a horror show.

I'd buy a Golf/GTI based on looks/features/performance, but I admit their lack of reliability and crappy warranty would keep me up at night on occasion.

I too thought it was a cop-out when they decreased the time period in order to offer the "free" maintenance. I mean, who cares? That's just a handful of oil and filter changes. What happens when an expensive thermostat or other component fails after 3.5 years? VW is saving themselves a ton of money, but only a foolish consumer would view 3 years of basic maintenance and a shorter warranty as a good thing.

Now VOLVO is doing it right...5 yrs/60K of factory warranty, maintenance, wear + tear coverage, and roadside assistance.
Old 02-02-10, 12:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
4yr 50k warranty seems standard. Its about time they catch up. I think Honda is a bit light on the warranty. With VW it may help a few extra buyers pick up a VW but warranty extension has little to do with the horrible track record many VWs have
standard? toyota and honda are big and they are 3/36

for luxury brands i believe 4/50 is pretty standard, but i am not sure if i call vw a luxury brand

either way, shortening warranty period, not a good idea always
Old 02-02-10, 12:51 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
standard? toyota and honda are big and they are 3/36

for luxury brands i believe 4/50 is pretty standard, but i am not sure if i call vw a luxury brand

either way, shortening warranty period, not a good idea always
Toyota warranty in North America sucks. Some Toyota worldwide locations offer 3 year or 60,000 miles.
Old 02-02-10, 12:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Toyota warranty in North America sucks. Some Toyota worldwide locations offer 3 year or 60,000 miles.
Why does it suck? It's been that way for many years. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a good formula for them as well as the 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty. Most companies stop their powertrain warranty when the basic bumper to bumper stops.

3 years in 60k miles is not attainable for some countries...as they don't have enough places to drive those miles.
Old 02-02-10, 01:00 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I think you misunderstood - they DOWNGRADED from the 4/50 warranty....its now 3/36
Old 02-02-10, 01:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Not a plus (the downgrade), especially with VW in US not being considered tops for reliability.
Old 02-02-10, 01:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

4yr 50k warranty seems standard. Its about time they catch up.
The 4/50 Drivetrain AND Bumper-to-Bumper warranty is generally standard with upmarket German makes like BMW, Audi, and Mercedes....THEY, to some extent, have some catching-up to do, when comared to the 6/70 Lexus and Infiniti Drivetrain warranties. Of course, in BMW's case, it includes free maintenance.

A 3/36 Bumper-to-Bumper (non-powertrain) warranty and 5/60 Drivetrain warranty, BTW, is pretty much standard with most lower-priced makes, such as Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc..... so VW would not really be off the mark with that. There are some exceptions, though......Smart's 2/24 total, and GM's 5/100 Powertrain warranty.

And, here's the good part..........The VW Drivetrain warranty, formerly 4/50 like the bumper-to-bumper warranty, is now 5/60...it has actually been UPGRADED from 4/50. The 3/36 is for the rest of the car. This is from VW's own web site:

http://www.vw.com/jetta/warranty/en/us/
Old 02-02-10, 01:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Why does it suck? It's been that way for many years. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a good formula for them as well as the 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty. Most companies stop their powertrain warranty when the basic bumper to bumper stops.

3 years in 60k miles is not attainable for some countries...as they don't have enough places to drive those miles.
that's what i thought. what's the point of 60k miles when in a lot of cases, 3 yr will be the limiting factor

and in the US ~12k miles a yr seems very reasonable
Old 02-02-10, 01:32 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 4/50 Drivetrain AND Bumper-to-Bumper warranty is generally standard with upmarket German makes like BMW, Audi, and Mercedes....THEY, to some extent, have some catching-up to do, when comared to the 6/70 Lexus and Infiniti Drivetrain warranties. Of course, in BMW's case, it includes free maintenance.

A 3/36 Bumper-to-Bumper (non-powertrain) warranty and 5/60 Drivetrain warranty, BTW, is pretty much standard with most lower-priced makes, such as Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc..... so VW would not really be off the mark with that. There are some exceptions, though......Smart's 2/24 total, and GM's 5/100 Powertrain warranty.

And, here's the good part..........The VW Drivetrain warranty, formerly 4/50 like the bumper-to-bumper warranty, is now 5/60...it has actually been UPGRADED from 4/50. The 3/36 is for the rest of the car. This is from VW's own web site:

http://www.vw.com/jetta/warranty/en/us/
haha That's a huge problem though considering their electrical/relay issues, various non-powertrain seal and gasket failures, etc...
Old 02-02-10, 01:34 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

And, here's the good part..........The VW Drivetrain warranty, formerly 4/50 like the bumper-to-bumper warranty, is now 5/60...it has actually been UPGRADED from 4/50. The 3/36 is for the rest of the car.
the VW powertrain/drivetrain warranty was already 5/60...that didn't change.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswag...-warranty.html
Old 02-02-10, 01:35 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

The drivetrain warranty (the most important and expensive stuff) has been upgraded from 4/50 to 5/60, like that of most of VW's competitors (see my last post above).
nope, see my reply above, drivetrain was already 5/60
Old 02-02-10, 01:39 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

I know family and friends who have had Jettas going back to the mid-80s. NONE of them have NOT had problems. None of them re-buy VW. That's pretty damning evidence in my eyes. I can't say that about any other brand/model of car.
Old 02-02-10, 01:42 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I know family and friends who have had Jettas going back to the mid-80s. NONE of them have NOT had problems. None of them re-buy VW. That's pretty damning evidence in my eyes. I can't say that about any other brand/model of car.
Not a fan of VW now.
I was many years ago when I had a couple of dependable beetles.

Quick Reply: VW downgrades their warranty to 3/36 from 4/50!?!?!?!