Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Removing hard carpet stains??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-02, 04:36 AM
V8Soarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally...removing hard carpet stains??

I have on my drivers side some kind of black material on the floor. Not sure what it is....but its hard and crusty like....Ive tried Blue Coral on there and it didnt work. I think thats because the stain is hardened.
What can I use (tan floors) to remove this?
Old 11-08-02, 05:39 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Depends...

If you knew what it was (tar for instance) it would give you a plan of attack. It breaks down to 3 types of cleaners;

Organic soil-use an alkaline cleaner

Non-organic soils-use acid based (citrus etc.)

Petroleum soil-use a petro based solvent.

I'd start with the most benign cleaner, that being alkaline. Most over the counter cleaners ( Resolve, Simple Green , Castrol etc. ) are alkaline cleaners/ surfactants. There are many good ones, and Daddy-O might be able to recommend a better choice here.

Citrus based cleaner- I recommend Stoner's XENIT, (very good at most stains )

Slovent cleaner- Goof Off or similar

...another last ditch solvent cleaner, surprisingly enough- brake cleaner. It has perchloroetheylene in it which is actually the primary chemical dry cleaners use, and which is a carcinogen, so wear gloves if you use it, and more importantly it MAY cause the carpet glue and fibers to come off, so try it on an inconspicuous area first, and BLOT, not rub. The blotting part applies to all the cleaners actually.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-08-02 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-08-02, 10:25 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

If it's a tar, I think Guitarman covered it. The Blue Coral fabric/carpet cleaner is good stuff, sorry it didn't work. Otherwise, another personal hint. Dryel sells a kit for you to do a cleaning process on Dry Clean Only garments in your clothes dryer. In the kit is a small bottle of a stain remover to use to get stains out before you use the rest of the process. I don't know what is in that little bottle but it is amazing stuff. I haven't had anything that it won't get out. Just use a little bit with a clean cotton towel for blotting. My wife brought it to my attention and it is amazing. The downside? They don't sell just the little bottle of stain remover, you have to buy the whole stupid dry clean kit for around $20 if I remember right.
Old 11-10-02, 11:35 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the Simple Solution Pet cleaner I posted in here a while back. You can get it at www.bramton.com I have yet to find anything this stuff won't get out.
Old 11-11-02, 09:36 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Default Tuff Stuff

Guys,

After Horta's recommendation in the LS forum a few months ago, I started using Tuff Stuff cleaner on my carpets, not only do they stay clean longer, the car smells better too. I have even used it on some stains on the carpets in the house. I haven't tried it on tar but it has gotten out grease, food stains, and soda very quickly and easily.

GA400
Old 11-11-02, 07:15 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Tried Tuff Stuff, the Pet cleaner is better, try it
Old 11-11-02, 10:51 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SW03ES
Tried Tuff Stuff, the Pet cleaner is better, try it
Cool, I will check it out! We might have some in the garage, we have a Guinea Pig and have gotten various cleaners for cleaning pet odors.

Thanks,

GA400
Old 11-11-02, 11:21 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Its good stuff, I was shocked.
Old 11-13-03, 10:43 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Depends...

Originally posted by Guitarman
..., and BLOT, not rub. The blotting part applies to all the cleaners actually.
why should you do this? what will it do if you rub in cleaners?
Old 11-14-03, 07:51 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good question!

Rubbing the stain pushes it in even further and spreads it around Blotting or patting will better remove it from the fibers without spreading it and also cause less damage to the material, which causes a visual difference in some carpets and fabrics. Rubbing is a hard habit to break - it seems to come naturally to us.
If you wind up pushing a stain deep into the material that's only on the surface fibers, you may never get it out, or at the least have to resort to other means (an extractor / shampooer for example) to get it clean down deep. Always use a white cloth or towel to avoid the possibility of color transfer from any dyes on a colored rag.

Here's a great guide to stains;

http://waldorfcarpetone.com/stains.htm

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-14-03 at 07:56 AM.