Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best wax for road trips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 12:23 AM
sallydrive
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Best wax for road trips?

Hey guys, whats the best wax protection I can use for my front bumper and hood to prevent and damages to my car from driving long distances with bugs and rocks?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-27-12, 01:01 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Sorry this may not be your answer but I would suggest you to put on a clear bra, rock chips are really not avoidable (just came back from a 1000km road trip and the amount of rock chips I got was crazy, I also had a clear bra which protected it from most of the rock chips). I even had rock chips on the roof and side doors, I'm sure my front bumper and hood would have been really beating up if it wasn't for the clear bra.

Or do something like this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615105
Old 02-27-12, 05:40 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

You can try to avoid rock chips by adding extra distance between you and the vehicles ahead of you but the clear bra is a better choice. Idon't like them myself but they do prevent a lot of freeway damage.

As to wax/sealant. Before the trip I would add a fresh coat of wax or sealant, I prefer Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. I use both Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer to remove fresh bugs and bird droppings as they occur and I also use their Ultimate Quik Wax to restore the slickness of the wax at least weekly.

We are rapidly approaching Love bug season so this is becoming the time to wax up. If you want extra protection after applying Ultimate Wax, which is really a synthetic sealant, you could add a pure carnauba wax on top of it. The sealant offers good protection and the carnauba excels at protecting against acidic contamination such as from bird droppings and bug guts.

Another very effective alternative is one of the new coating coating product like Opticoat 2.0 or one of the Quartz coatings, A-Quartz or C-Quartz Both offer a thicker and more permanent protective coating than conventional wax or sealants.
Old 02-27-12, 06:40 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Clear bra is what you need!
Old 02-27-12, 07:12 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is what you need for that infrequent long road trip

a temporary clear bra

http://www.buyroadwrap.com/
Old 02-27-12, 10:26 AM
sallydrive
Driver

The clear bra is what i was thinking and expected to hear. But i was hoping there would be a faster less expensive way to do it!
Old 02-27-12, 01:14 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

As I posted before, use painter's tape to tape the whole front end and mirrors, or you can even tape your whole car if you wanted to it acts as a temporary clear bra, costs less than $10 for two rolls of tape.
Old 02-28-12, 04:52 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sallydrive
The clear bra is what i was thinking and expected to hear. But i was hoping there would be a faster less expensive way to do it!
Wax and sealant will not stop rock chips. Suer there are temporary methods to prevent rock chips... painters tape, road wrap etc... but for every day driving none of those are practical or look good. Getting a clear bra as soon as possible is your best option. Once the chips start happening then you will just be covering up thechips with film.