Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

holograms in paint...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 11:10 AM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default holograms in paint...

Ok here it goes the guy I bought the car from had someone polish the car with a buffer and seems like he cut into the clear coat now if you look at the car from certain angles it looks like there is a hologram in the paint... Is there a fix for this without wetsanding and redoing the clear coat? Thanks in advance...
Old 06-20-12, 11:57 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't have to wetsand to get rid of holograms. Are they all over the car or just a few bad spots? If it's just a few spots, you can use Ultimate Compound by hand with some eurofoam cutting pads to get rid of them.

If they are all over the car, then you will probably need a machine (preferably a DA if you are new to machine buffing). Take a look at the Meguiars or Griots Garage Random Orbital machines.
Old 06-21-12, 04:02 AM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

They are all over the car.. Right side more than the left... At the same time I wanna get the swirls out... The only reason I said wet sand is because when I went to the local detail place by me that is what they said I was just looking for an easier and cheaper way... Thanks for the help...
Old 06-21-12, 08:17 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Holograms are the result of using a rotary buffer and not finishing down properly. It's usually caused by an unskilled worker who either uses the wrong technique, such as not keeping the pad flat, and/or using a combination of pad/speed/ or product that is to aggressive. Holograms are especially a problem for softer paints and rotary polisher, as with those, you MUST finish out the paint with a super soft pad and a very low cut polish.

Best thing for you to do, since it sounds like you've never done this stuff, is to get a PC7424 or some other random orbital machine like the Griot's or Flex 3401 and just go around the car and polish it with a white pad and follow with a black pad. I would do white/orange pad with Menzerna SIP and follow with a black pad and PO85RD/106FA. That guarantees you perfect results even if you're a first time user, because it's pretty hard to mess up with a da polisher.

If you only have a rotary, then all you need to do is get a finishing polish, a soft pad like a LC black or 3M UK blue, get some finishing polish like 85RD and polish at a low speed 900>1200>900. Bam, no holograms.
Old 06-22-12, 04:16 AM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Thanks for the help... You hit the nail on the head that I am def new at this...lol
Old 06-22-12, 04:31 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

You basically have two options;

1. Hire a professional to detail your car or
2. Purchase a DA polisher, pads and polishes/sealants, etc, and do it yourself.

Either will cost you about the same. The first option only cleans your vehicle up once and then it is up to you to try to maintain it properly to avoid introducing new swirls. This is difficult to impossible depending on what color your car is. Black seems to grow swirls just by looking at it.

Option 2 gives you the tools and products to repeatedly remove any marring on you car and on others as well. In this case you will be doing the polishing and this is quite safe and effective when using a DA polisher.

If you choose to do this yourself, I'd recommend purchasing a DA buffer/polisher like the Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's G110, or a Griots DA and the Meguiar's Microfiber starter kit which includes two cutting and two finishing pads along with the compound and finishing wax.

All said and done you are looking at around $300-$350 with either but the latter option allows you to do your vehicle multiple times and do multiple vehicles. With option 1, you pay the $300-$350 for a one time clean-up and a couple tunnel washes later you will notice some marring returning. Depending on how you care for your car, what color it is and the environment it lives in you could be wanting to do this every year.

I bought my first DA back in the spring of 1995, and consider it the best detailing investment I've ever made. It still works well today even better than it did when new as we now have microfiber pads and new SMAT polish and compound technology. My DA is a Porter-Cable, BTW.
Old 06-25-12, 11:10 PM
adrr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seivonecsu
Ok here it goes the guy I bought the car from had someone polish the car with a buffer and seems like he cut into the clear coat now if you look at the car from certain angles it looks like there is a hologram in the paint... Is there a fix for this without wetsanding and redoing the clear coat? Thanks in advance...
Here's what I did.

Bought a Port Cable 7424XP
Started off with Menzerna IP polish. This is the same polish mercedes uses on their cars at the factory.
Finished with Meg Swirl Remover #09 with a finishing pad.

Coated the car with Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 which is a silicon resin that helps prevent swirls in future.

You may need to clay your car before you polish if you have lots of stuff on the clear coat.
Old 06-26-12, 05:12 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by adrr
Here's what I did.

Bought a Port Cable 7424XP
Started off with Menzerna IP polish. This is the same polish mercedes uses on their cars at the factory.
Finished with Meg Swirl Remover #09 with a finishing pad.

Coated the car with Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 which is a silicon resin that helps prevent swirls in future.

You may need to clay your car before you polish if you have lots of stuff on the clear coat.
Good move.
Old 07-10-12, 01:16 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

any pics of what these holograms look like?
Old 07-10-12, 04:31 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
any pics of what these holograms look like?
This:
Old 07-11-12, 12:39 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
This:
Good lord that's terrible :/