Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

waterproof tire shine

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 06:19 AM
MY2J
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waterproof tire shine

Living in Miami sucks becuase it rains every other day. I'm looking for a waterproof tire shine that will last longer than the regular Meguiars products. I know there was a vendor on here that was doing a group buy on their waterproof product but can't seem to find it... any help is appreciated
Old 11-16-10, 10:38 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

i usually clean the wheels really well and do a layer of protectant (303) before applying the tire shine and it holds up pretty well...

i also have had good results with opti-bond tire gel...
Old 11-16-10, 10:56 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I recently started using Adam's Super V.R.T. I drove to and from work in moderate to heavy rain for 3 days in a row and the tires were still black and looked good. 3 days of rain is as much of a test as you get in SoCal, but I was pleased with the results.
Old 11-16-10, 06:11 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good natural tire dressing will absorb in to the rubber and it's safe for the rubber. Something that completely repels water is probably using a heavy silicone based formula that is generally not good for the rubber. These types of products can cause browning and dry rot in time. I suggest two thin coats of the Poorboy's World Bold 'n Bright Tire Gel spaced out at least 10 minutes apart for a dark shine that will last. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 11-16-10, 09:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

What do you prefer Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel or Poorboys Bold and Bright Tire Gel. I am looking for something that is the most durable and leaves a nice deep black look that will hopefully last a good amount of time even after driven in the rain. Don't need it to be shiny or greasy.
Old 11-17-10, 05:03 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

The Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel is the one to go with, last much longer then most water based products out there.
Old 11-17-10, 05:38 AM
MY2J
Pole Position

thanks guys... I'll look into those products
Old 11-17-10, 07:30 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Tire dressings come in two basic types, water based and solvent based. The water based dressings, as you would expect, will wash off in the rain. Solvent based dressings last longer but neither is "waterproof". You would not want a true waterproof dressing either and here is why. Tire manufacturers add an anti-oxident agent to the rubber to minimize or prevent dry-rot and cracking. This substance works its way to the surface as the tire flexes and provides continuing protection. This is the substance that combines with the tireblack to cause browning of the tire. If you were to have a true waterproof dressing this brown sludge would accumulate on the tire and be very difficult to remove.

Water based dressings won't last as long but leave the tire much easier to clean. Solvent based dressing seem to last longer but leave the tire more difficult to clean up.

All said and done, the longest lasting tire dressing I have ever used is the Meguiar's Endurance gel. Even after a few weeks of freeway driving in the rain the tires looked good after washing. The gel seemed to have penetrated the rubber and left a nice satin sheen for over a month on my RX with Bridgestone Alenzas. Not the initial wet look, but it was still apparent that the tire was dressed.

Also note that various dressings seem to react differently on tires from different manufacturers. Sometimes you will just have to search for the right product that gives you the look and durability options you want.
Old 11-17-10, 05:30 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
All said and done, the longest lasting tire dressing I have ever used is the Meguiar's Endurance gel. Even after a few weeks of freeway driving in the rain the tires looked good after washing. The gel seemed to have penetrated the rubber and left a nice satin sheen for over a month on my RX with Bridgestone Alenzas. Not the initial wet look, but it was still apparent that the tire was dressed.
I have only used the Meguiars Endurance gel and thought it was decent. It was a little greasy, did not last as long as I hoped, and I thought it was kind of pricey at $11 a bottle. I would think the more expensive boutique stuff would be better but if the Meguiars is one of the best then I guess I may not bother with the more expensive stuff. Did you compare the Meguairs to the Poorboys and Optimum Opti Bond?
Old 11-17-10, 06:02 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
What do you prefer Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel or Poorboys Bold and Bright Tire Gel. I am looking for something that is the most durable and leaves a nice deep black look that will hopefully last a good amount of time even after driven in the rain. Don't need it to be shiny or greasy.
I'd suggest the Optimum (OPT) Opti-Bond Tire Gel with a nice thin coating. Also we are offering 20% off this item and almost our entire store through 11/18 with the coupon code early10. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI