Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Rust on my brake rotors (on the hub)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-10, 10:50 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rust on my brake rotors (on the hub)

I had new rotors installed on the rear of my 430 recently, and in the last week or so, they have rusted on the hub area, between the vertical part of the rotor and the wheel. I don't have a pic currently, but can take one in the daylight if you need to see it. I've got the optional 7-spoke chromes on the car, and wow, are those rusty hubs easy to see between the spokes.

They weren't the cheapest rotors (not factory Lexus), but I've never had this happen to any of my 4-wheel disc brake cars before. Has anyone else experienced this? I was going to invest in a "rust-ready" paint like Hammerite or Rust-Oleum and spray them, figuring that should do the trick.
Old 08-16-10, 10:13 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1
I had new rotors installed on the rear of my 430 recently, and in the last week or so, they have rusted on the hub area, between the vertical part of the rotor and the wheel. I don't have a pic currently, but can take one in the daylight if you need to see it. I've got the optional 7-spoke chromes on the car, and wow, are those rusty hubs easy to see between the spokes.

They weren't the cheapest rotors (not factory Lexus), but I've never had this happen to any of my 4-wheel disc brake cars before. Has anyone else experienced this? I was going to invest in a "rust-ready" paint like Hammerite or Rust-Oleum and spray them, figuring that should do the trick.
I painted my hubs silver and it turned out very good, much better looking then the ugly dirty appearance they used to have. I have seen several hubs that tend to rust or have some kind of film/sticker on them.
Old 08-16-10, 10:19 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

I was trying to figure out whether I would paint them black or silver, but I think silver is going to be the way to go. The car is Millennium Silver anyway, and silver should look best with the chrome wheels.

Did you paint them on or off the car?
Old 08-16-10, 11:32 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I was trying to figure out whether I would paint them black or silver, but I think silver is going to be the way to go. The car is Millennium Silver anyway, and silver should look best with the chrome wheels.

If you want them to disappear behind the rims, I'd go with a nice flat black. I would definitely paint them OFF the car. You don't want to get paint on the studs or into the bearing. It's not that hard to remove them, either.

Having done a few sets of rotors (okay maybe more than a few ), I'd get a high temp primer and high temp paint since rotors get pretty warm when in use. No sense doing the work and having to redo it later. Get yourself a good wire brush to remove the rust, then prime. Let that sit for a bit, then color. Two coats of color should be sufficient for good cover and adhesion.

Big Mack
Old 08-17-10, 09:11 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I painted them sliver when I painted my calipers silver. I used a brush on kit/paint so I was able to paint them while they were still on my car. I really like the way the silver looks on the calipers and wheel hub.
Old 08-17-10, 08:43 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Dang.. I got this problem too! Installed brand new brembo disc and after a few wash. It gets rusted! ugh!
Old 08-18-10, 02:03 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

It's really irritating, especially since you can see so much of the discs between the spokes of the wheels.

Ah well, I guess I know what next weekend's project is going to be...
Old 08-18-10, 09:33 PM
lo_dit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i painted mine silver as well. takes away all the ugliness behind your nice wheels!
Old 08-19-10, 12:50 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

next time give centric a try:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...=Premium+Rotor

Precoated hats and edges.

Centric is US based and is the same company that now owns StopTech and Powerslot.

Rumored that the Premium Rotors are used as blanks for the slotted/drilled in the other brands
Old 08-20-10, 06:25 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raytseng

Centric is US based and is the same company that now owns StopTech and Powerslot.

Rumored that the Premium Rotors are used as blanks for the slotted/drilled in the other brands

Nice find.....what kind of price tag do those carry?
Old 08-20-10, 11:39 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice find.....what kind of price tag do those carry?
They're relatively cheap and avail at rockauto or from tirerack.
Rockauto:
$37 for a rear, $47 front on the 2GS -coupon +shipping

All hail technology improvements in mass manufacturing.
Old 08-20-10, 06:54 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

All hail indeed.....damn, that's a nice price! I am DEFINITELY going with these at the next brake job.
Old 08-20-10, 07:53 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by tirerack page
(Front) Plain vented rotor. Centric rotors for this appli- cation do not have the black E-coating finish.
May want to check and see if they are actually coated for yours. They aren't for mines. That's a bummer, too, because it's pretty reasonable.

Oh, and where does one find said coupon, Ray?

Big Mack
Old 08-21-10, 06:40 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

i hate the rust on the rotors. i feel your pain.

Originally Posted by raytseng

links not working for me