Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need some assistance on choosing the correct dual action orbiter polisher/buffer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 10:24 AM
nasageek
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some assistance on choosing the correct dual action orbiter polisher/buffer

Hello all,

I'm hoping some of you DIY'ers and Experts can chime in here with your knowledge and advice. I'm a DIY'er and enjoy cleaning my cars and my family's cars. I'm looking to upgrade to a "professional" dual action orbital polisher/buffer (not even sure I'm using the correct lingo here) or a rotary.

The products I'm looking at are as follows:

PC 7424XP
Flex XC 3401 VR
Griots Garage Random Orbital
Meguiars Dual Action Polisher G110V2
Flex L3403VRG

Some specific things I'm looking for:
Lightweight
Able to control the speed manually
Ease of use

Cheaper would be better but I wouldn't mind spending the extra money if "its worth it."

If there are any kits with the polisher, pads and polish/wax that I should look into, that'd be a great help as well. I've looked on a few sites such as autogeek but I wanted to get some advice here if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-10, 11:00 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nasageek
Hello all,

I'm hoping some of you DIY'ers and Experts can chime in here with your knowledge and advice. I'm a DIY'er and enjoy cleaning my cars and my family's cars. I'm looking to upgrade to a "professional" dual action orbital polisher/buffer (not even sure I'm using the correct lingo here) or a rotary.

The products I'm looking at are as follows:

PC 7424XP
Flex XC 3401 VR
Griots Garage Random Orbital
Meguiars Dual Action Polisher G110V2
Flex L3403VRG

Some specific things I'm looking for:
Lightweight
Able to control the speed manually
Ease of use

Cheaper would be better but I wouldn't mind spending the extra money if "its worth it."

If there are any kits with the polisher, pads and polish/wax that I should look into, that'd be a great help as well. I've looked on a few sites such as autogeek but I wanted to get some advice here if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Every option you listed is quality and will work. My favorite option would definitely be the Flex XC 3401 VRG. It has about 40% more power than the PC 7424 XP and it feels smoother. It uses a forced random orbit motion so you can remove about 90%+ of surface imperfections while still easy and safe to use. While this unit is more money I think it's the far better long term investment. You can see how it compares to some other buffers we carry here - Buffer comparison chart.

We also have some really good package deals if interested:
DI Packages Flex XC 3401 VRG, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads
DI Packages Flex XC3401VRG 2 Step Menzerna Polishing Package
DI Packages Flex XC3401VRG Advanced Package
DI Packages Flex XC3401VRG Starter Package

With all of these package deals you can have any combination of pads by adding a comment while checking out with the specific ones you'd like. These packages give you some top quality pads and polishes with no fluff, so you get a great deal on the products you need. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-16-10, 11:58 AM
nasageek
Rookie

Greg,

I appreciate the reply back. I was leaning towards the Flex option, but more so towards the FLEX L3403 VRG due to its lighter weight and cheaper price, although the only difference I see between the FLEX L3403 VRG and the Flex XC 3401 VRG is that one is just a rotary and the other is a dual action. Is that it?

I'll be pricing out these things from other sites but I am leaning towards purchasing from a vendor to support CL. Thanks again for the help.

R,
Eric

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Every option you listed is quality and will work. My favorite option would definitely be the Flex XC 3401 VRG. It has about 40% more power than the PC 7424 XP and it feels smoother. It uses a forced random orbit motion so you can remove about 90%+ of surface imperfections while still easy and safe to use. While this unit is more money I think it's the far better long term investment. You can see how it compares to some other buffers we carry here - Buffer comparison chart.

We also have some really good package deals if interested:
DI Packages Flex XC 3401 VRG, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads
DI Packages Flex XC3401VRG 2 Step Menzerna Polishing Package
DI Packages Flex XC3401VRG Advanced Package
DI Packages Flex XC3401VRG Starter Package

With all of these package deals you can have any combination of pads by adding a comment while checking out with the specific ones you'd like. These packages give you some top quality pads and polishes with no fluff, so you get a great deal on the products you need. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-16-10, 04:17 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

The Porter Cable 7424XP, the Meguiars G110V2, the Flex XC3401 VRG, and Makita BO6040 polishers are just a few of the polishers in our inventory. We also have developed various kits using these polishers, along with Lake Country and Meguiars polishing/buffing pads.

The Porter Cable 7424XP Orbital Polisher is simply a wonderful machine. It doesn't matter if you're a first time user or a skilled enthusiast, this machine will give you professional-looking results the very first time you use it.
The 7424XP Polisher is easy to use and safe for all fiberglass, metal, paint and clear coat finishes. It will not create swirls and can not harm or remove paint or clear coats.
It will allow you to apply a polish and liquid wax or sealant in a fraction of the time it would take by hand and create an unbelievable shine.

There are now a number of Chinese-made polishers being imported to compete with the Porter Cable 7424XP. We have elected to stay with the time-tested, Porter Cable machine. The Porter Cable 7424XP is UL Approved, has a neutral balance, very little vibration for fatigue-free polishing and the adaptability of changing the counterweight to facilitate larger pads.
With tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of machines in use, the Porter Cable 7424XP has withstood the test of time and become a detailing icon.

The Meguiars G-110V2 weighs in at 5.5 lbs, comes with a W68DA Softbuff 2.0 Flexible Soft Backing Plate and has a 4.2 amp motor. It has a speed range Speed 1 starts at 1800 Orbits Per Minute (OPM) and each higher number is 1000 OPM higher in speed, topping at 6800 OPM at speed 6.

The Flex XC3401VRG is a true dual-action machine.
With the Flex XC3401VRG, the pads do have a forced circular motion, they rotate or "cut". Plus, as the pads rotate, they oscillate, or move, in a random pattern.
Hence the name, dual action. One action is the circular rotation and the second action is the random movement of the pad while it is rotating.
This random oscillation also has a exceptionally "long throw" of 8 mm. The forced circular pad rotation coupled with the long throw of the oscillations give the Flex considerably more cutting power.

So, if you need a polisher, we have the polisher for you!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

The new Porter Cable 7424XP creates a professional shine in half the time!
Not content to rest on their laurels, the engineers at Porter Cable have taken their best-selling, dual-action polisher, the 7424, and made it into a super-polisher! The new Porter Cable 7424XP incorporates a beefed-up, 4.5 amp, motor, a wider speed range, improved ergonomics and a heftier on/off switch. While each change is small, the net result is a wonderfully well-balanced, comfortable-to-use polisher that now has the power to tackle virtually any detailing task. What hasn't changed is the random, swirl-free polishing action that will not scratch or burn the paint or clear coat and the field-proven mechanism that has earned the reputation of being bulletproof.

Tech Note: Technically, this polisher is classified as an orbital polisher. It is designed to safely apply polish and wax in a manner similar to hand application. It minutes, it creates a mirror-like finish and shine that would otherwise take hours of hand labor. It will not create swirls or remove your car's clear coat finish.

The pad does not rotate in the conventional sense, it oscillates. This "jiggling" occurs at such a high rate that the eye can not see any pad movement. This is normal. This is the way the polisher is designed to work. This polisher is not designed for heavy compounding and may not fully remove scratches, deep swirls or paint imperfections. To completely remove swirls and scratches, consider a professional, circular polisher such as the Makita 9227, or DeWalt 849.

This is the stock machine as it comes from Porter Cable. It has one medium density white pad which is permanently attached to a backing plate. The single white pad supplied with the polisher may be sufficient for the week-end enthusiast but its not enough flexibility for the serious detailer nor does it allow you to use any of our hook and loop backed accessory pads.

Should you decide to upgrade this machine to use any of our 6-1/2 inch or 7-1/2 inch Constant Pressure, Foam Pads, all you need is a 6 inch, Hook and Loop Backing Plate.

For more flexibility, see our 7424XP Ultimate Detailing Machine. While slightly more expensive, this machine comes with a 6 inch Hook and Loop Backing Plate and one CCS, White Foam Polishing Pad. This hook and loop backing plate allows you to use any of our hook and loop backed foam polishing and finishing pads.

7424XP Features & Specifications

* 4.5 amp motor, 120 VAC 50-60 HZ
* Variable Speed 2,500 - 6,800 O.P.M.
* Random, swirl-free action
* 100% ball and roller bearing construction
* Spindle thread size - 5/16-24
* One white foam polishing pad (permanently attached to the backing plate)
* pad changing wrench and side handle included
* Length 11-1/2 inches
* Weight 5-3/4 lbs.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Meguiar’s G110 V2 Dual Action Polisher gives detailing enthusiasts more power, more control, and more comfort. It has never been easier for car owners to create a legendary showroom shine. The Meguiar’s G110 V2 Dual Action Polisher features a unique "cruise control" which prevents the machine from bogging, allowing the user to achieve better results, faster. Compared to previous generations of random orbital polishers, the Meguiar’s G110 V2 is way up on results and way down on time wasted.

The Meguiar’s G110 V2 Dual Action Polisher is a random orbital polisher that features a perfect 5/16th stroke. This physics of this powerful "stroke" cause the pad to rotate freely, creating a more perfect finish. Because the pad spins freely, and is not directly driven making this type of polisher extremely safe. And while enthusiast love this polisher for its safe power delivery, many professional detailers love it for its efficiency. It allows you to polish the paint to a high gloss, in less time, without fear of rotary buffer swirls!Meguiar’s G110 V2 Dual Action Polisher

Features:

* Amps: 4.2
* OPMs: 1800 - 6800
* Thread Size: 5/16" x 24
* Weight: 5.5 lbs (without backing plate and handle)
* Noise: 55 dB
* Cord Length: 10.3 ft.
* Multi-position bail handle
* Soft-touch finish
* Meguiar's carry bag included
* Warranty: 1 year from Meguiar's

While torque, amp, and voltage readings seem to be mostly publicized figures today regarding orbital polishers, they far from tell the "truth". Meguiar’s G110 V2 was designed by professional car enthusiast for car enthusiast and no attention to detail was spared. The counter weight is placed close to the drive, for less vertical deflection and a smoother feel. The "cruise control" feature prevents the motor from bogging, and a more efficient design delivers more of the power to road. The Meguiar’s G110 V2 is the most efficient random orbital polisher we have tested. Like Porsche proved to the world, it’s not all about the numbers!

The power dial of the Meguiar’s G110 V2 is mounted at the rear of the polisher, next to the super long power cord. The power has been perfectly tuned to the dial; gone is the rapid jumps in speed that would occur between different speed settings. Speed 1 starts at 1800 Orbits Per Minute (OPM) and each higher number is 1000 OPM higher in speed, topping at 6800 OPM at speed 6.

The Meguiar’s G110 V2 is packaged in a beautiful stitched Meguiar’s bag equipped with a W68DA Softbuff 2.0 Flexible Soft Backing Plate, a bale handle, and a replacement set of maintenance brushes. The body is covered in synthetic soft-touch material that is a treat to hold and the housing is made of metal. Just holding the polisher lets you know it is built to a different standard. Turning it on and using on paint confirms the feel: The Meguiar’s G110 V2 Dual Action Polisher is a serious defect removing paint polisher, from a name you can trust in car care.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This Flex XC3401VRG is a true dual-action machine. There's a huge difference between the two. With the Porter Cable 7424, the pads do not rotate, they oscillate, or jiggle, in a random pattern designed to simulate hand application. The "throw" or amount of "jiggle" is not disclosed by Porter Cable but it is very, very small. With the Flex XC3401VRG, the pads do have a forced circular motion, they rotate or "cut". Plus, as the pads rotate, they oscillate, or move, in a random pattern. Hence the name, dual action. One action is the circular rotation and the second action is the random movement of the pad while it is rotating. This random oscillation also has a exceptionally "long throw" of 8 mm. The forced circular pad rotation coupled with the long throw of the oscillations give the Flex considerably more cutting power than the Porter Cable 7424. In fact, after spending an afternoon with this machine, I feel it will do 90% of what a pure circular polisher can do with the safety of the random oscillations to prevent swirls. A case of having your cake and eating it too!
The Flex XC3401VRG has a bale-style handle which puts your hands at the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock position which most professionals prefer. This gives you an even weight distribution between your hands, making the polisher less fatiguing when used for long periods. A six position speed control allows you to limit rpm's between 160 rpm and 480 rpm. Under the speed control, a variable speed trigger allows you to feather the oscillations per minute (OPM's) up to the maximum set by the speed dial. A very nice touch for keeping the rpm's low for applying waxes and sealants which you normally can not apply with a circular polisher.

Speed Control Note: Since the Flex XC3401VRG has a forced circular motion, every speed setting is slightly more powerful when compared to the Porter Cable 7424. If you are stepping up from a 7424, we recommend starting one speed setting lower than you would with the 7424. In other words, If you typically polish in a speed range of 3 to 4 with the 7424, start with a speed range of 2-3 with the Flex. You can always increase the speed if you need more cutting power.

This machine has a very solid "feel", like it could operate all day without stopping (which it probably does in some plants). It never feels strained or "near the edge". Feature wise, the Flex XC3401VGR is one of the most technologically advanced machines on the planet. It features a seven function microprocessor to insure consistent speed, restart protection after power interruption, overload protection and temperature monitoring. Auto shut-off carbon brushes automatically shut off the motor when they wear down to prevent motor damage. A 13 foot power cord allows you to work around most vehicles and the machine comes with a one year warranty through service centers across the US.

The machine comes with a 5-1/2 inch padded backing plat that is not changeable but will accommodate all of our 6-1/2 inch and 7-1/2 inch pads.

Specifications:

Motor Amps 7.5
Rotary RPM: 160-480
Orbital OPM: 3200-9600
Recommended pad size 6.5" - 7.5"
5.5 inch Velcro® backing plate included (not changeable)
Weight 5.75 lbs
Warranty 1 year

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is the safest circular polisher I know of making it great for enthusiasts with limited machine experience.
The BO6040 features a heat resistant grip and front pad for the "fore and aft" grip preferred by professionals. (There is no side handle.) This polisher also comes with a high quality, flexible 6 inch Hook and Loop Backing Plate and a carrying case but does not come with any pads.

Features & Specifications

* Variable speed 1,600-5,800 OPM; 180-670RPM
* Dual mode selector for "random orbit" and "random orbit with rotation"
* One year factory warranty.
* Rubberized palm grip for comfortable operation..
* Double insulated.
* 6 inch Hook-and-Loop Backing Plate included.
* Spindle thread 5/8 x 11
* 6.6 amp heavy duty motor.
* Overall length 12-1/2 inches.
* Overall weight 5.9 lbs.

This unit comes with a one year factory warranty through any authorized Makita Service Center ( listed on the back of the owners manual).

Anymore information please be free to call us at ProperAutoCare.com and don't forget we carry many kits that will fit your detailing needs.
Old 06-16-10, 05:44 PM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

nasageek,

the guys pretty much summed it up.

the 7424 is the bang for your buck, if you don't plan on doing this more than a few times a year go with the 7424.

if you plan on doing more than just your car, or you have a few cars, family etc I would agree with Greg 3401.

No one answered your question on the 3403, its a rotary polisher so if you don't have any experience with an orbital I would say pass on the 3403.

Hit me up if you need anything.

Phil
Old 06-16-10, 09:57 PM
nasageek
Rookie

Wow, all of you guys are awesome. Thank you so much for the great response and advice.

Now I just need to look at the deals/packages out there and make a final decision.

For a package deal, I am looking for the orbital, approximately 4-5 pads, cleaner for the pads, and a simple but good polish and wax to help take out the swirls and give me that mirror finish.
Old 06-17-10, 08:12 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

Sure thing.

Current deals

15% off free shipping till the 20th
Old 06-17-10, 01:06 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Not a problem nasageek, take a look around bet you find what your looking for and if not I'm a free phone away! http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/cupr.html http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...rcabpolac.html Happy Father's Day!