Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

best 100% cotton detailing cloths?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 12:44 PM
myes350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best 100% cotton detailing cloths?

For interior cleaning and waxing I prefer the 100% diaper-type cloths (over terry and microcloths). Can anyone recommend a brand of 100% cotton detailing cloths that remained soft after repeated washings.
Old 02-27-10, 03:49 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Diapers have polyester or nylon stitching. I don't use them for that reason. I have a nice supply of 100% cotton terrycloth cotton from Canon. These remain soft after many washings. I use vinegar in the rinse cycle. Terry also has the advantage of having deep pile so as to encapsulate grit and thereby not scratch paint.

That said I prefer microfiber. If you use top quality microfiber you will conclude that they remove product cleanly with less rubbing. Cheap MF is not worth the money.
Old 02-28-10, 12:51 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use microfiber no matter what surface I'm on. New towels degrade after a time so they get bumped to interior, wheels, etc jobs
Old 02-28-10, 01:47 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I just bought some from Target and Auto Zone.. The ones from Target are really nice and soft.. Not sure the brand..
Old 02-28-10, 09:34 AM
GlisTech
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real benefit of the Microfiber cloths, especially when doing an interior, is their ability to grab and hold dust and dirt.

Their unique structure actually traps the dirt and dust, rather than just moving it around like a standard Cotton Cloth.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ber/Categories

We are one of the few carriers of these towels, we chose them specifically because of their amazing quality. While few other vendors are actually scaling up their towels and bringing in better quality in order to cut cost, we have consistently sought to improve the quality of our MF towels.

We use the green specifically for the interior. The combo of a short nap on one side is great for cleaning, things like seats, carpets, etc. The long nap side is great for dusting and leveling out interior finishes.

Give them a try, I am sure that you can easily see the difference between those, and almost every other MF towel on the market.
Old 02-28-10, 10:25 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GlisTech
The real benefit of the Microfiber cloths, especially when doing an interior, is their ability to grab and hold dust and dirt.

Their unique structure actually traps the dirt and dust, rather than just moving it around like a standard Cotton Cloth.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ber/Categories

We are one of the few carriers of these towels, we chose them specifically because of their amazing quality. While few other vendors are actually scaling up their towels and bringing in better quality in order to cut cost, we have consistently sought to improve the quality of our MF towels.

We use the green specifically for the interior. The combo of a short nap on one side is great for cleaning, things like seats, carpets, etc. The long nap side is great for dusting and leveling out interior finishes.

Give them a try, I am sure that you can easily see the difference between those, and almost every other MF towel on the market.
i was introduced to the world of MF towels not too long ago and at first, didnt believe the hype. Since then, i have spent $100's on different types of MF towels and am never disappointed. one thing i dont understand is how to determine a short nap vs a long nap. and what the benefits of each side are.
Old 02-28-10, 03:08 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Short nap is best for wax removal. I find longer nap is great for polish and general use. The reason why I like short nap is because it'll remove the oils left from the wax. That way you won't have any streaking or sweating issues if you use a high end wax. Also, I find that short nap works great for the waxes that are very high in carnauba content. It grips very well