Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Mini Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 05:15 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I use both Ultimate Quick Wax and Ultimate Quick Detailer on light and dark colors with no issues.

I do wonder though, how much difference there really is in the two products and think it's probably more marketing than anything else. Nonetheless I use them both which is probably Meguires objective in the first place.
My impression, after using gallons of both...

UQD is a cleaner that has lubricants that assist in removing light soil, dust and fingerprints without marring the paint while UQW is designed to be used on a clean surface. If you were to use UQW as a QD, you would likely see paint swirling. You would also likely be imbedding dust under a coating of sealant. They both contain a polymer that sheds water but UQW leaves the surface feeling significantly slicker. UQW also seems to darken the paint more than UQD. This is especially noticeable on my red MR2. (not so noticeable on my lighter colored RX)

Frequently I will use both back-to-back. If my car is only lightly soiled and I don't feel it needs to be washed, I'll use UQD to clean it then follow with UQW. I feel the slickness added by UQW makes the next weekly cleaning much easier. I don't get that same result just from UQD.
Old 01-25-13, 06:32 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I bought a bottle of Meg's QD, used it once and haven't touched it since. There are much better products out there if you are looking for a good QD to use when removing dust or to use after a wash.

If I just want a QD spray, I just use diluted ONR - it is cheap and extremely effective

My more popular choice, which is considered a spray sealant, is Chemical Guys V7. It only takes a little bit to wipe down an entire car, it is extremely slick, and incredibly glossy.
Old 01-25-13, 08:22 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I bought a bottle of Meg's QD, used it once and haven't touched it since. There are much better products out there if you are looking for a good QD to use when removing dust or to use after a wash.

If I just want a QD spray, I just use diluted ONR - it is cheap and extremely effective

My more popular choice, which is considered a spray sealant, is Chemical Guys V7. It only takes a little bit to wipe down an entire car, it is extremely slick, and incredibly glossy.
indeed. Most of Megs OTC line up is bad but consumers dont know any better. duraglass aquawax puts the quick wax to shame in terms of ease and depth and looks. can be bought at carquest
Old 01-25-13, 01:04 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm not a professional detailer but I have used quite a few products... Turtle, Meguiar, Zaino, Wolf's chemicals. From my own experience this stuff is pretty good. I feel that it gives the black car a deeper look as they advertise. I have not heard this much negativity about Meguiar's products. I'm always under the impression that they make good products. Anyway, here are some pictures of the car...
1. Original. 2. Wolf's Hard Body. 3. Meguiar's Quick Spray Wax.

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-25-13, 01:55 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

FWIW, there is not another car care company in the world that has as wide a product line and has been in business as long as Meguiars. Megs has been in this business for well over a hundred years. You can't sell junk and stay in business that long. They also stand behind their products 100%. They offer a free 800 line to a well trained support staff too.

That said, there is nothing wrong with having your own favorite products. If you find a product you like you will probably use it often and that is a good thing. Lots of companies make lots of good detailing products. Truth be told, nine out of 10 detailers could not tell you what particular product(s) were used to detail a car from looks alone. The results are good from many products and companies. Find one you like and enjoy the results you get.

Another point. Stunning results come from the process more so than the product. A good detailer can make many automotive products deliver outstanding appearance.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-25-13 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 04:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Everyone has their own favorite products (that's why there are so many) and techniques. It's interesting to read them all but most people go with what they like and are comfortable with. Not necessarly a bad thing.
Old 01-26-13, 01:00 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Frequently I will use both back-to-back. If my car is only lightly soiled and I don't feel it needs to be washed, I'll use UQD to clean it then follow with UQW....
I learned this tip long time ago from this forum when we got our 08 Rx. Not sure if it was from you... But yes, this is how I clean my car these days too. I wet a clean towel with QD and clean the car (slightly run the towel over to catch the dirt) if I don't feel it needs a wash.

BTW, I was standing by the car chatting with a neighbor... The thick deep look was very noticeable. Very impressed by this product.
Old 01-26-13, 07:38 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax is very good and durable. I've gotten about a month and a half of decent protection before signs of wear. As of lately I've been using Pinnacle XMT 360 spray wax because of a BOGO from Auto geek. Very impressed with 360. I wanna try Optimum GSP next.
Old 02-01-13, 08:59 AM
LuiB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a free bottle of this stuff. Gave it a try and it finished better than their quick detailer. I thought it has a pleasant smell, and protects paint from most dust! Good stuff
Old 02-11-13, 09:31 PM
rotor
Driver School Candidate

Thought I share some comparison photos
Mini Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax-image.jpg

With Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Liquid Wax

Last edited by rotor; 02-14-13 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-14-13, 09:57 PM
rotor
Driver School Candidate

Mini Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax-image.jpg
With Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax

Much easier application and looks shinier to me. On the first picture the sun was out on a clear day, on the second picture it was cloudy.
Old 02-21-13, 09:28 AM
swimmer10
Driver School Candidate

Is the UQW compatible with the 3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film?
Old 03-08-13, 11:12 PM
ashley1977
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swimmer10
Is the UQW compatible with the 3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film?
I have been using UQD and NXT2.0 for my car many years! So far they are the best products for me, easy to apply and came out really nice! I also have clear bra on front end but I only use ProtectAll to it not UQW or UQD.....
Next time I would like to try UQW see how good is it!!
[Mini Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax-dsc06152.jpg

Mini Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax-dsc06137.jpg

Mini Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax-dsc06149.jpg

Mini Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax-dsc07058.jpg

Mini Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax-dsc07063.jpg

Last edited by ashley1977; 03-08-13 at 11:39 PM.