Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

TXSTYLE.... Ultimate Tree Sap Removal Technique...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08, 09:15 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up TXSTYLE.... Ultimate Tree Sap Removal Technique...

Without having to saturate the entire car down with water!!!!!!!!

So if you're like me, then "shining" is a MUST in ya ride.
I claybar my cars twice a year and they get a buffer of wax once a month and a wipe down w/ spray detail once a week!

Now then... Also if you are like me then there are certain "enemies of ya ride":
birdisht
rain
standing water on the street (u may as well get rained on!)
a dumbasz in front of u who decides to cut on his windshield washer (talk about road rage!)
pollen
and my worst... Tree Sap!!!

Just last night I went to the movies and of course it was packed but I NEVER park between 2 cars! So a spot opened up on the front row but it was next to a small evergreen tree (always green year round, and these are the worst!) but I figured it's hot as hell and maybe the tree and giving up isht. To my horror and disgust when I came out and walked up to the car I could see the glaze of sap all over the roof... It gets worse. When I ran my hand over the roof and hood... it was as if there was a layer of sugar granules over my entire car! Now this is after I had detailed it earlier (usually every Friday).
Now typically this stuff is so disastrous and sticky you HAVE to wash the car down with soap and water. Using just a towel with spray detail won't cut it.
My fix... I get a bucket of warm water about 3rd and I place about a cap full of car soap (Meguiars for me) I then soak a large micro-fiber towel in that wring it out to where it's not dripping and commence to wiping the entire car down. Flipping and wringing occasionally. The sap melts away perfectly! The key here is the detergent and the wetness and gentleness of the microfiber towel. Now afterwards there is slight residue naturally, but I follow up with spray mist detailer and large dry microfiber (got about 10!) and VOILA!!!
You ready to shine once again. All in about 30min. No having to blow all the water out the crevices and wheels which is like another 30min.

Try it... And remember who told you about this wonderful sap fix.

I'd like to also add that this solution probably works so well for me due to the fact I maintain a nice layer of wax on my rides.
Old 07-26-08, 09:31 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for this...now I don't have to clay polish everytime
Old 08-09-08, 03:51 AM
wheels 2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best way to get it off with out hearting the paint is rub rubbing Alcohol on it.the same stuff you put on a cut and know it does not heart the paint or the wax/polish you have on the car i know it sounds stupid but thats what i did when i use to detail cars.
Old 08-13-08, 02:58 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Agree, I think it came off easy mainly because you had a nice layer of wax to sacrifice and took care of it quickly.

Now if you let the stuff work it's way through outdoors in the hot sun and morning dew for a few weeks or on an unwaxed car, then I think it might not be so easy.
Old 08-14-08, 11:03 AM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
and my worst... Tree Sap!!!
Does tree sap affect glass? I have these spots on my rear windshield and have no clue as to what it is. I've taken it to the wash and tried cleaning it myself but it's still there.