Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What creates the swirls when you go to a hand car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 06:01 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What creates the swirls when you go to a hand car wash?

I just washed my brand new car (S5 phantom black pearl) at a hand car wash, and afterwards there are some serious swirls all over. I had thought that only machine washes do this to the car but apparently hand wash is no better. What part of the wash creates the swirls? I was wondering if it would be alright to take to hand wash if I were to bring my own clean drying towels if the swirls were being created by their dirty drying towels. Or does the washing itself create swirls also?
Old 01-15-08, 06:09 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

scratches that come from handwashing is usually from the towels...they soap down the car properly but when they rinse it off and dry it...they might have missed a dirt spot with the soap and instead of washing the dirt off they just go over the spot with the towel. which then creates the swirls.

btw...there is a detailing section on the forum.
Old 01-15-08, 07:37 PM
TJohnson
Driver

Swirls can be created from many different things. Primarily as already said is the towels used or the crap that is in the towels that you think are clean.

Using a bad or low quality soap that doesn't actually clean the paint can actually leave stuff in it and as you are washing it, you will put swirls in it. If you use the wrong kind of sponge or wash mitt or try to use anything but a correct drying towel or proper applicator of wax/polish.

Generally after a good full detail, you should be able to go about 6 months or so without having to do it again. The full detail I do for my cars and my customers cars is:

- Wash
- Dry
- Claybar
- Wash again
- Dry again
- Apply and remove Tropi-Care Swirl Cutter w/ Porter Cable buffer
- Apply Tropi-Care polish with same buffer but softer pad
- Apply top coat sealant by hand

After doing that, most of my customers do not need anything other than a wash and wax again for at least 4-6 months. Some will mess up and take it to a bad car wash or wash with the wrong towels, but if properly taken care of, it should last at least that long.
Old 01-15-08, 09:21 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As others have mentioned, swirls are the result of improper washing technique..Invest in some quality microfibers and use the 2 bucket washing method with grit guard..Make sure your towels and mitts that you're going to use is completely clean and free of any sign of debris...Mircodebris might be stuck in the mitt if your car is dirty so that is where grit guard can become handy...

Got this from Autogeek..

How do you prevent swirl marks? Use two buckets. Fill one bucket with soapy water and fill the other with clean water. Each time you’re ready to reload your sponge with soapy water, dip it in the clean water first, to rinse out the grit and contamination you’ve just removed from your vehicle. Then dip it in the soapy water and continue washing.

An even better option is the Grit Guard. This plastic grid sits in the bottom of a 5-gallon wash bucket and stabilizes the water. Contamination and particles settle to the bottom of the bucket and the clean wash water remains at the top.
For those interested..Here is the article..http://www.autogeek.net/exterior.html
Old 01-15-08, 09:40 PM
350nub
Pole Position

it would be the cloth and mitts they use for drying and washing...its dirty from other cars..the cloth picks up the dirt from other car and then used to wipe you car...which creates the swirl