Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bug Cleaner / Preventive solution?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 07:44 PM
skyraven4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug Cleaner / Preventive solution?

Has anyone used the bug and tar protective shield from Rain-X?

www.rainx.com

"Water-soluble formula easily washes off, carrying all potentially damaging debris with it!
Apply before long road trips or in heavy bug season
Safe on chrome, metal, paint and plastic"

Seems like a good product and I hate all the bugs going to and from college (have to take a country road for an hour), specially those yellow blooded butterflies? but - anyone have feed back on that or any similar products?

thinking about getting a clear bra, but dealership is charging $800 for a full, $500 is still a lot from aerotect, was thinking of a more simple decision
Old 07-30-07, 08:04 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used something like that but I forgot what brand. Unfortunately the nozzle broke and I only got to use it once on the top of my car. It feels kinda rough and it takes away the shine if you wax your car. I would consider trying the rain-x product though if you recommend it. I hate gettin bugs and tar on the front of my car and the bottom just behind the wheel well.
Old 07-30-07, 09:37 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not much on Rain-X products, but I'm sure it's fairly decent. Protective film is a terrific choice, but you still need to clean off the bugs...it's a great investment for protection against chips.

There's no real way to prevent bug mess, but you can make clean-up easier. The first thing is to clean 'em off before they become hard to remove. This will make it easier but will also prevent any etching from large bugs with lots of acidity in their guts. Second - keep your finish protected. I'd recommend a paint sealant, or at least a combo product that contains wax and has sealant elements...a la Meguiars NXT. Otherwise, boutique brands like Klasse, Menzerna, and Four Star (and many others) all offer sealants that leave your finish really slick. Before any road trip I always apply an extra coat of sealant - it makes the finish look great and removing the bugs afterward is a much quicker process.