Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car care Q...Removing bird stains??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-07, 02:39 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car care Q...Removing bird stains??

I just picked up my GS 350 AWD last week...and noticed a "bird stain" on the passenger side mirror. I tried a tad bit of Meguiars #2/ Car cleaner/wax...removed some of the stain....and also looks like it "faded" the paint a little bit with the stain still visible.

Don't wanna screw up my ride anymore....What are you guys using to remove bird crap stains?? And is there anythng to bring the finish back up from using the #2 cleaner/wax?(causing the the slight fade)

If there is a post already on the site....I'd really appreciate the link.

Thanks for your help,

Brian

PS....I'm a pretty big fan of the Meguiars NXT wax
Old 07-22-07, 02:45 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Just run over it a few times with a claybar, and then go over it at the end with some NXT wax. How long was the bird crap on there for? If it was a really really long time, it's possible that you have some paint damage. That crap is highly acidic! If it was just a day or two then it should be ok.
Old 07-22-07, 04:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes, it depends on how long the bird crap has been there for, if it's been a long time, it will eat into the paint and nothing much you can do to recover. you can try to clay and then also use polish to try polish out too
Old 07-22-07, 07:54 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It undoubtedly etched into the paint - that's the hazing that you're seeing. You'll need to polish to remove the hazing, and then protect with the sealant or wax of your choice. As mentioned, bird poop is incredibly acidic and will etch within hours, even on a protected finish.

If you're working by hand you can try Meguiar's Scratch X, which is a pretty effective product and is nice to have on the shelf. Unfornately a clay bar won't work. It does wonders in removing surface contaminants but is not a tool for paint correction.
Old 07-22-07, 08:05 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some etching can be removed by some light wet sanding..However, you'll need a PC or rotary to remove sand marks afterwards..
Old 07-23-07, 01:53 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who replied....man I really need to hit the auto store and pick up some car care products. This website is loaded with members with a ton of knowledge....lots to absorb.

Thanks again.....Brian