Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Those damn water sprinklers :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 06:38 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Those damn water sprinklers :(

I park my car outside (assigned parking @ our townhouse). Than noticed that once/twice-a-week I get this white water spots on one side of the car. Didn't pay much attetion, until also found yellow spots on the chrome around the window on the same side of the car. I took my ES350 to the dealership, they used some kind of an anti-oxidized solution to clean the chrome part. They also confirmed the problem is with sprinklers. Those use a regular unfiltered water which has tons of minerals and other nasty stuff that leaves these spots and can ruin a paint over time. I talked to a few of my neighbors with a parking spots across from mine, they have exactly the same problem (both BMW and M45).

My question, is there some specific wax or special coating I can apply to a car and chrome to protect it from these "earth elements"
Old 09-05-06, 06:56 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
I park my car outside (assigned parking @ our townhouse). Than noticed that once/twice-a-week I get this white water spots on one side of the car. Didn't pay much attetion, until also found yellow spots on the chrome around the window on the same side of the car. I took my ES350 to the dealership, they used some kind of an anti-oxidized solution to clean the chrome part. They also confirmed the problem is with sprinklers. Those use a regular unfiltered water which has tons of minerals and other nasty stuff that leaves these spots and can ruin a paint over time. I talked to a few of my neighbors with a parking spots across from mine, they have exactly the same problem (both BMW and M45).

My question, is there some specific wax or special coating I can apply to a car and chrome to protect it from these "earth elements"
I'm sure there must be a wax for both. I have the same problem with sprinklers only thankfully the water must be cleaner in my area than in your area because it leaves a faint outline of white and that is all.
The other thing I notice is it will lightly rust streak the disc of my disc brake on driver's side which I do not like but one short trip adding the break and it is gone.
I'm planning to remove some dirt from around the sprinkler head and try to angle it downward so the water doesn't shoot as high and hit the car as the darn thing isn't adjustable in the direction of my car, just limits in the other direction. But I think if I remove enough dirt from around it I can angle it downward so the water doesn't travel as far.
Try looking at the offending sprinkler and see if you can angle it downward or even left or right so it misses your car.
Good luck.
Old 09-05-06, 08:12 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing could be done about repositioning the sprinkler. They automatically pop-up from a ground level and than go back in. Those were installed by a townhouse which owns the outside property (and takes care of it). I was even thinking about the car cover, but it would be a pain in the ... Will have to research more about protective waxing, especially something for chrome. I also have that disc rust streak. Not really sure what you meant in your message above about "one short trip adding the break"? What do you do make it gone?
Old 09-05-06, 09:02 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing could be done about repositioning the sprinkler. They automatically pop-up from a ground level and than go back in. Those were installed by a townhouse which owns the outside property (and takes care of it). I was even thinking about the car cover, but it would be a pain in the ... Will have to research more about protective waxing, especially something for chrome. I also have that disc rust streak. Not really sure what you meant in your message above about "one short trip adding the break"? What do you do make it gone?

Can you place a heavy enough rock on top of the sprinkler head to keep it from popping up? But only do it on the nights that you know they will turn on.
Old 09-06-06, 04:03 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

twister...the rust streak is gone if I go up to the convenience store just up the street and back, applying the brakes removes the rust streak on the disc completely, so I view it as just a nuisance.
As for the pop up sprinkler, you can still dig down around it below ground 8 inches or so and 4 or so around it and push the outer housing the pop up is in left, right, forward or backward and then shove the dirt back around it so that when it next pops up it will miss your car with the spray. Mine is a pop up too, and I have yet to handle it.
Old 09-06-06, 05:08 PM
rkmah
Driver School Candidate

There really is no special wax or clear coat protection for sprinklers, birds, or bugs. The best thing you can do is make sure the paint is cleaned and protected (use your favorite wax.) If you happen to get the occasional water spot or foreign goop try to get it off as quick as possible with a quick detailer spray and microfiber cloth. Yeah, you look like a geek trying to keep you ride shiny, but the leaving the deposits on your finish will be worse (and the damage will add up over time) if you dismiss them until your next wash.
Old 09-07-06, 05:25 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

If you don't want to use a car cover you can look to a wax that sheets water rather than beads water. This would minimize the problem but still would not eliminate it entirely. Meguiar's M21, a synthetic sealant sheets as does Meguiar's High Tech Yellow Wax, a pure carnauba. You could apply the sealant and let it set up for a day and top it with the High Tech Wax for double the protection. You will need to wash frequently and remove these dried minerals or etching will result.

Speak to the apartment management and ask them to re-adjust the sprinkler head to only water the grass and not the cars or you will send them a bill for car cleaning monthly.

Originally Posted by rkmah
There really is no special wax or clear coat protection for sprinklers, birds, or bugs. The best thing you can do is make sure the paint is cleaned and protected (use your favorite wax.) If you happen to get the occasional water spot or foreign goop try to get it off as quick as possible with a quick detailer spray and microfiber cloth. Yeah, you look like a geek trying to keep you ride shiny, but the leaving the deposits on your finish will be worse (and the damage will add up over time) if you dismiss them until your next wash.
Old 09-08-06, 10:51 AM
biglexass
Lead Lap

i got that water on my windoes and it ruiened them i cant get it off so i would advise you make a complante to them or move your car.
Old 09-08-06, 02:31 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

I'm having the same problem at my apartments. There is a sprinkler head right in front of my car - about 4 feet away. So, I cut a V in a piece of plexiglas, and jammed it down in the dirt between the curb and the head, so that the car is shielded by a piece about a 8x8" size. Did that last night - turns out it was some other head that's getting my frontend wet. Got the maintenance guy looking at it today. (But, that method might work for some of you. Not too much trouble, if you know when watering is done, or you can leave the shield in place.)
Old 09-08-06, 03:32 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I feel your pain, how about just getting a car cover?

It'll basically solve all your problems and the grass will get the water that they need.

Also get one for your 2 neighbors with nice cars. You scratch their back, eventually they will scratch yours too.