Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Gloss Shine on the GX

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04, 03:08 PM
ShakMan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gloss Shine on the GX

Hello all. Its been 5 months with our new GX and we love every minute we spend in this vehicle. Been reading all the posts in this forum and it’s been great. Anyway when we purchased our GX, we purchased perma plate options and was applied at the dealership. Looks great and helps reduce rain spots on the vehicle.

My question to all the GX owners here is has anybody done any type of showroom type finish on their vehicles. I am talking about something like Zaino or anything similar. I would be very interested in hearing from members and maybe some pictures if you have attempted this. Any pros or cons with doing something like this.

Thanks
Old 12-17-04, 04:42 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a system from 'One Grand' called 'Blitz Wax' and 'Omega Glaze'. You actually put the glaze on first, buff it out, than use the wax. It's a good carnauba paste wax. I do it all by hand, not using a buffer, but you can . The wax works real easy and looks really good when done. I have a black Bonneville too, and it really makes it shine.
Old 12-20-04, 05:56 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Not really sure what you are asking, if a gloss shine should be used on a SUV as compared to something like a LS, GS or SC? Just this weekend I put another coat of Zaino on my 2001 LX - it looks FANTASTIC. Properly taken care of, my 4 year old LX with 50K miles on it looks and feels 10 times better than my sister-in-law's 2 MONTH old BMW 745i.

Zaino goes on easy, comes off easy and produces a terrific finish. The downsides - (1) addicting and (2) the GX and LX are BIG vehicles!
Old 12-20-04, 06:23 PM
ShakMan
Rookie

ShadyJC

How long did it take for you to apply Zaino and now many coats on the LX. Any pictures to share

Thanks
Old 12-21-04, 09:27 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

The first time you apply Zaino it takes a while:

1. Wash with Dawn
2. Claybar
3. Wash with Zaino Z-7, dry
4. Apply Z-5 (swirl formula)
5. Wait 30 min
6. Remove Z-5, Apply Z-2 (gloss formula)
7. Wait 30 min
8. Remove Z-2, spritz with Z-6.

Altogether I'd say about 3.5 hours worth of work? Remember my LX is big and to get to the roof and everything I have to use a ladder.

In subsequent applications (remember Zaino is not like wax, you can continue to layer it onto itself without having to remove the old layers) it is much faster. I can do the whole car in a little over an hour which includes:

1. Zaino Z-7 wash and dry (20 min, California Water Blade helps with the drying process)
2. Polish application of Z-5, Z-2 or 50/50 mix (10-15 min)
3. Wait 30 min, remove (10-15 min)
4. Z-6 spritz (10-15 min)

It's the follow-up applications that are so easy and flexible that make Zaino really appealing to me (aside from the finished product, of course). On my Infiniti (which is my DD so I'm a little more obsessive about it than the Lexus which is my wife's DD) sometimes after dinner I will take 30 min to spray the car down with Z-6 and apply a coat of Z-2 and then come back after putting my son to sleep, watching TV, playing on the computer, etc. and remove the Z-2 before I go to sleep. One occasion I even waited until the next morning to remove the Z-2 layer, so it's not like you have to keep a timer on it and can't do anything else.

Zaino polish also seemingly lasts a long time - to keep it good looking in between washes about once or twice a week I will go over the exterior of the car with a California Duster and maybe every other week I will Z-6 spray the whole car.

Also have found that the Zaino tire polish (Z-10?) works great at cleaning the black trim on the exterior of the car, esp. the running boards.

I know I have some of pics my Infiniti FX but I will have to see if I have some LX ones around.
Old 12-21-04, 09:40 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used Zaino's on my GX since I bought it in February. I love it!! I would never go back to old wax. It is super easy to apply and looks outstanding when finished! I put on 3 coats twice a year, it takes me about a full day but I go slow. After each wash I use the Z6, really gives it a smooth shine! I have used most of the Zaino's products and each one has been great, even better than I expected. I would highly recommend them.

Last edited by CdeFabio; 01-05-05 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 10:32 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

With Klasse you don't have to wash the car before you apply? As I think others have said before, it's all in the preparation - the most time consuming part - Dawn wash and claybar - is a prerequisite to properly using any car care product, no?

You can boil all the Zaino steps down to:

1. Apply polish
2. Wait to dry and remove

That's not much different than any other product in the market... Unless I'm missing something, I think by the time you apply a coat of AIO and then a coat of SG and then do a quick detail with something like Sonus spritz, you're doing the same amount of work (Z5, Z2, Z6)?

Don't get me wrong, I have heard great things and seen some amazing pictures of people using Klasse and Meguires... I got turned onto Zaino by some people on the Infiniti forum and am really happy with the results and the shine lasts a long time, plus I don't want to have to buy multiple products.

Whatever works, right?
Old 12-21-04, 10:37 AM
jonw440
Driver School Candidate

Yes you must always wash the car and dry it before applying any kind of polish wax or sealant.
You are correct, prep is the key, plus use what YOU like, these are just recomondations......
Old 12-22-04, 09:19 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default It's all in the preparation

After being afflicted with the detailing bug this past summer and nearly polishing myself to divorce, I concluded that::

1. Most detailers will agree that Zaino and Klasse are very safe, long lasting choices. I use Klasse and have never used Zaino.
2. As repeatedly stated in this thread, the "trick" is in surface preparation. Any reputable wax or sealant will give you a "better than showroom" finish on your car, as long as your paint is absolutely smooth and swirl-free.
3. There are no shortcuts to surface preparation. It involves a lot of work with washing, claying, removing swirls, etc. But afterwards, if you properly wash your car, your paint will remain in great shape for years.
4. Dark colored paints are a pain in the butt and not worth it (from a detailer's point of view). I love white and silver because they look good with minimal upkeep.

Have fun keepin that GX nice and shiny.
Old 12-23-04, 03:16 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Seen one picture of a shiny car, seen 'em all, but since you asked, I took these pics today as the sun was going down. This is a 2001 LX470 that was Zaino'd last Saturday... so 5 days now? Although now in Los Angeles, this car has been through 3 NY/NJ winters and now has 40K miles on it.

Old 01-05-05, 10:36 AM
ShakMan
Rookie

Thanks for the pictures ShadyJC. I will probably attempt mine this spring or early summer. The weather is not very favorable in N. Ca right now.
Old 01-05-05, 11:02 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

IMO, Dawn is for dishes. It isn't needed if you use an automotive paint cleaner. Here is a Highlander I did with NXT Tech Wax. I washed with a quality wash designed for auto finishes and not dishes, clayed, cleaned, polished and waxed. Maintenance is a weekly wash and NXT booster after every other wash.

And my RX330 with the same treatment.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-05-05 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 01-10-05, 11:31 PM
et415
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab
IMO, Dawn is for dishes.
Zaino recommends Dawn for the initial washing: http://www.lazaino.com/ApplyZaino.htm

Your car looks great, btw....
Old 01-11-05, 09:28 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Another pic taken just this past weekend during the rain, even after the torrential downpours we've been having here in SoCal, water still beading up on the hood like crazy... now ~4 weeks after my last Zaino application.