Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

DuPont Teflon Wheel Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 10:55 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DuPont Teflon Wheel Cleaner

First I thought it was just hype, but I decided to try a bottle, always seemed like one wheel cleaner was no better than the rest, at least for the batch of wheel cleaners I've used from PepBoys. I had been using Castrol, whcih I thought was decent, but nothing to rave about. This Dupont Teflon stuff is different. Cleans my chromes REALLY well, nice even shine, no water spots afterward, brake dust comes off easy, very little elbow grease needed to clean. Leaves a more slippery surface so brake dust doesn't stick as badly afterward.
Anybody else try this stuff?
Old 08-04-04, 10:47 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: DuPont Teflon Wheel Cleaner

Originally posted by engin_ear
First I thought it was just hype, but I decided to try a bottle, always seemed like one wheel cleaner was no better than the rest, at least for the batch of wheel cleaners I've used from PepBoys. I had been using Castrol, whcih I thought was decent, but nothing to rave about. This Dupont Teflon stuff is different. Cleans my chromes REALLY well, nice even shine, no water spots afterward, brake dust comes off easy, very little elbow grease needed to clean. Leaves a more slippery surface so brake dust doesn't stick as badly afterward.
Anybody else try this stuff?
nope i have never tryed but you can also apply a good coat of a polymer wax to your wheels and the dust will clean up easier and it will protect your wheels from the elements
Old 08-05-04, 06:52 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Marketing Hype... If you can't beat them join them.

Teflon® is a synthetic polymer formula produced by Du Pont Chemicals. They state;
”The addition of a Teflon® fluoropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of any car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® to be beneficial in car waxes. Teflon® requires a temperature of 680°F for it to "sinter" or bond to a surface.”
The one apparent thing Teflon® does for auto products is make your wallet more slippery. Lots of companies use the Teflon® brand recognition to try to separate consumers from their money.

That said, users of Dupont's automotive products have reported reasonably good results so it's not a bad product.

It is surprising that Dupont, who blasted the use of Teflon® in auto products with the quoted statement above, is suddenly using it in their own line of car care products.

Last edited by jfelbab; 08-05-04 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-05-04, 07:24 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Where there's money to be made......
Even though I agree that the Teflon may have nothing to do with it, I still think this product works better than the rest that I've tried, especially since there's less work involved. If the Teflon does not bond at all and does nothing but cause the dirt, etc, to wash away cleanly and leave no spots or residue, then it's worth it to me. To lexusondubs point, I could Zaino the wheels like the rest of the car, but it's much more work than this.