Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Interior tint film scratches

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-04, 12:39 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Interior tint film scratches

Does anyone know if there's any agent or compound that I can use to safely remove the hairline scratches I have on my interior tint film?

I wonder if Scratch X works on tint fims.

Does anyone have any experience removing scratches from their tint film?

Thanks.

Jon
Old 03-08-04, 01:29 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All window tint has an 'anti-scratch' coating on it, but it's not a panacea...Tint is made of Mylar plastic, and
once it's scratched , about the only thing you can use on the scratches is a product that is engineered for plastic convertible windows and clear dash bezels, something like Plexus, or Zaino's Z14 'Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish', or the Meguiar's clear plastic polishes.

Using anything too abrasive (like paint polishes) can dull the film. Good luck.
Old 03-08-04, 09:37 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

I couldn't any find of the products you mentioned so I went ahead and bought a bottle of Blue Magic plastic cleaner hoping that it would accomplish the same thing.

Unfortunately, it did not. My window tint scratches were caused by me trying to "push" in the bubbles in the bottom of the window frame area after my new tint films were installed. I was able to get rid of the bubbles, however, my credit card caused a few hairline scratches on the tint film.

Out of desparation, I also tried Meguiar's Scratch X on the scratches. It didn't help too much as well. I guess I am just have to live with them.

Jon

Originally posted by Guitarman
All window tint has an 'anti-scratch' coating on it, but it's not a panacea...Tint is made of Mylar plastic, and
once it's scratched , about the only thing you can use on the scratches is a product that is engineered for plastic convertible windows and clear dash bezels, something like Plexus, or Zaino's Z14 'Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish', or the Meguiar's clear plastic polishes.

Using anything too abrasive (like paint polishes) can dull the film. Good luck.
Old 03-09-04, 11:00 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, it was worth a try Jon, right?

I'm actually not a great fan of tint, been through all this -dulling tint, turning purple, scratched tint, bubbles etc. and I got to the point where I stripped it off my one car and never got my GS4 tinted. Sure, it looks cool and all, but i'm so picky that i'd probably have to get my cars re-tinted every year or 2, because all that stuff happens, especially scratches, pretty easy on it, then it looks nasty.

My cars don't sit out in the sun much at all, so I can get away without it, and i'm enjoying it more not having to deal with it. I do miss the dark look, especially on my black car, but hey, we all find out what works best for us.

My decision won't work for everyone, but for me it seems to fit. For you, just maybe get that one window re-done if it bugs you enough and you'll be happy again. Shouldn't cost too much really. Cheers.
Old 03-09-04, 11:11 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Very well said!

Perhaps I'll get sick and tired of having tints on my window after a while. I do notice that my preference of having dark windows has decreased dramatically as I get older.

When I was in high school, I thought 5% was very cool. I went with a lighter shade (15%) later because of the ease of driving at night.

In my mid. 20s, I don't feel comfortable driving around with anything darker than 35% up front.

I am past that now, perhaps that's why I choice to go with 40% this time around. Maybe one of these days I won't even bother to have tints at all. If that's the case, then I wouldn't be worrying about all these problems.

But this is just me.

Jon

Originally posted by Guitarman
Hey, it was worth a try Jon, right?

I'm actually not a great fan of tint, been through all this -dulling tint, turning purple, scratched tint, bubbles etc. and I got to the point where I stripped it off my one car and never got my GS4 tinted. Sure, it looks cool and all, but i'm so picky that i'd probably have to get my cars re-tinted every year or 2, because all that stuff happens, especially scratches, pretty easy on it, then it looks nasty.

My cars don't sit out in the sun much at all, so I can get away without it, and i'm enjoying it more not having to deal with it. I do miss the dark look, especially on my black car, but hey, we all find out what works best for us.

My decision won't work for everyone, but for me it seems to fit. For you, just maybe get that one window re-done if it bugs you enough and you'll be happy again. Shouldn't cost too much really. Cheers.