Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

cleaning the under hood insulation (SC400)..any pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-04, 02:14 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cleaning the under hood insulation (SC400)..any pointers?

My engine compartment is resonably clean, execept for the giant dust ball that hovers over it. I'm talking about the insulation under the hood. This is a major dust magnet, and using the shop vac just doesn't clean it very well. I would like to get this looking like new again. Has anyone ever power washed it? Can it be removed without destroying it? Any ideas? A big blanket full of dirt over a clean engine bay really bugs me. I'd like to know if anyone has any claening tips. Thanks.
Old 02-25-04, 05:46 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure what it looks like or what it's made of on a SC400, but I would probably steer clear of a pressure washer unless you hit it with real light psi, because they aren't typically that dense and may fall a part under high or even moderate pressure.

They're typically held on with plastic push pins (now I have to go look at my GS to see) and are no biggie to get off and on.

...Just looked at my GS, it's a fiberglass type insulation sandwiched between an outer coating of black fibrous material/topcoat. If it's the same or similar, I would think you'll have to be careful, getting it too wet *may* weaken it considerably, but it depends on how well it's affixed and with what kind of glue. You might be fine hosing it down, but not having done it, there's also no guarantee it won't fall apart. I'm only guessing based on what fiberglass attic insulation does when it gets wet, although that doesn't have an outer skin the way the hoodliner does, so it's not quite the same.

If I were in your situation, what I would do is remove it and use my shampooer / extractor on it, because that cleans it but also sucks the water out at the same time, so it doesn't ever get really soaked. Since not everone has one of those machines, you could just use a wet vac after hosing it down after spraying some Simple Green or equivalent. That should keep the water from sitting in it and breaking it down.

Maybe someone out there has done it, and can help. There's no substitute for experience on something like this.

Last edited by Guitarman; 02-25-04 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 03:46 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the tips. I should be able to remove it for cleaning with no problem. I believe it is the same material and is fastened to the hood in the same manner as a GS. I will try washing it gently after I remove it. If that does no good, I may have to look you up next time I come to Daytona for a vacation. (If I remember correctly, you live in the Trails in Ormond, don't you?) Thanks again!

Glenn

Last edited by rushgator; 03-02-04 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 04:56 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glenn, i recall talking with you a while back about Ormond. Please do look me up if you ever get back this way. I live in Tomoka Oaks, but you were close enough.
Old 03-04-04, 11:28 AM
CrazeeSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u might be best to buy a new one, mine was messed up too so I just took it off, looks pretty good without it and no problems with overheating the hood paint
Old 03-04-04, 08:55 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Look: Dynamat
Attached Thumbnails cleaning the under hood insulation (SC400)..any pointers?-bmw-hood.jpg  

Last edited by Lexkost; 03-04-04 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-05-04, 05:40 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lexkost
Look: Dynamat
Hmmm...not a bad idea...never considered that. Looks good!