GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP! I got a crack in my "Y" pipe!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 08:22 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default HELP! I got a crack in my "Y" pipe!

I have a 2000 GS400 with almost 100K on it. I noticed that my MPG has went down dramatically and it sounded funny at WOT. I have it at the local Lexus dealer and they found a cracked "Y" pipe to be at fault. They want to replace it and not repair it. I have a feeling that this is going to cost me an arm and a leg! Please let me know of other alternatives such as:

1. Bring to any muffler shop and get welded.
2. Bring to any muffler shop and replace with aftermarket "Y" pipe
3. Bring to any muffler shop and replace with aftermarket "X" pipe

What do you guys suggest...I need advice like yesterday!!! Please help...
Old 04-23-08, 08:27 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see why you can't take it to a muffler shop and get it welded. I'm surprised you haven't gone aftermarket yet.
Old 04-23-08, 09:00 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...yeah, Lexus wants $685.21 for a new Y pipe! I guess I am going to have it fixed at a muffler shop or replace it with an X pipe.

What size X pipe will I need as a direct replacement? What would be the best replacement if I choose to go this route?
Old 04-23-08, 09:07 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

You can't replace it with an X-pipe if the rest of your exhaust system is OEM. If you want an X-pipe, might as well just ditch the OEM system and go for a full exhaust. Im' sure with tuning you'll gain even more power. The setup shouldn't cost you more than $300. Beats buying a new y-pipe from lexus. But if you're strapped for cash, just get it welded.
Old 04-23-08, 09:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Weld it really good. The y-pipe was a source of repeated irritance for many of my fellow racers at my old track in Mexico, especially those pushing a lot of power. I would actually have the exhaust shop take a look for any other cracks at the same time as I would generally notice a y-pipe crack usually meant there was some other crack or looseness on other exhaust joints.
Old 04-23-08, 11:24 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I would just get it welded. It shouldn't cost that much. Some shops have a minumum charge, but if you know someone in particular, they might charge you around $15-$20 or so for a quick weld.
Old 04-23-08, 11:27 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just get a custom y-pipe now.
Old 04-23-08, 11:32 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're going to spend 600+ on a stock Y pipe from lexus, might as well go with the Tanabe catback in the vendor classifieds for a little over 800. Much better replacement
Old 04-23-08, 11:33 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

OK guys...thanks a million for your timely input! I will either:

1. Get it welded at a muffler shop

or

2. Get an "X" pipe replacement and perhaps a custom exhaust as GSteg mentioned. BTW, GSteg...I only have the Borla SS rear-section on my car; the rest is stock. What would I need to replace to make it a full custom exhaust? What size piping would I need (for both the X pipe and other piping)?

Thanks again!
Old 04-23-08, 02:29 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2.25 piping all throughout. I will be doing the same in the near future with borlas as well prob magnaflow cats, resonators, and x pipe will round out the exhaust.
Old 04-29-08, 07:54 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Alright...this just in. The local Lexus dealership told me that the Y-pipe is shot and it would not be able to be repaired so I thought to myself BS and I will take it elsewhere. I immediately drove to a local Meineke. They put it on the lift and mentioned that the crack is pretty bad and it could NOT be fixed. They said that the whole Y-pipe looked pretty rotted and it would need to be replaced. So now, I have a couple of new questions for you guys...
1. Where can I get an entire Y-pipe...including the section where the o2 sensors plug in? how much?

2. Should I just get an entire cat-back exhaust system and sell my Borla rear-section?

3. Will a full cat-back system replace the stock Y-pipe section that is bad (and have all the piping that the o2 sensor(s) can be plugged into?)

4. If a full cat-back is a proper solution for me which ones would you guys recommend?
Old 04-29-08, 09:25 AM
shawnberry
Pole Position

does this replace the y-pipe? in this set up?

Originally Posted by milky
if you're going to spend 600+ on a stock Y pipe from lexus, might as well go with the Tanabe catback in the vendor classifieds for a little over 800. Much better replacement
Old 04-29-08, 09:59 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you do not upgrade buy a used one ..

Hell I have mine stock one laying around ...

Other wise I changed out all my piping 2.25

custom x-pipe and magniflows total

piping average 450 ...

the custom x-pipe was about 150.00

2 magniflows 180.00

total 780 for custom
Old 04-29-08, 10:52 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BippuPxr
if you do not upgrade buy a used one ..

Hell I have mine stock one laying around ...

Other wise I changed out all my piping 2.25

custom x-pipe and magniflows total

piping average 450 ...

the custom x-pipe was about 150.00

2 magniflows 180.00

total 780 for custom

OK...I think I understand but still kind of confused on a couple of items. I just got off the phone with Luis @ Carson Toyota/Lexus and he indicated that NO cat-back exhaust system for the GS4XX is truly from the cats back. It's more like from the mid-pipe back because it will not replace the stock Y-pipe section coming off of the two cats up front.

So this notion leaves me with three options...

1. Buy a new Y-pipe from Carson Toyota/Lexus for $330.

2. Buy a used Y-pipe from a CL member.

3. Go completely custom like you did.

What should I do? Where did you install the o2 sensors and how? Did you stay with the same 2.25" diameter piping? Where is your resonator? Could you PM me where you got your X-pipe from and other piping? I would keep my Borlas with this scenario (instead of buying the Magnaflows).

How does it feel BTW? Launching...Highway pulls etc. etc. Please PM me if you don't want to discuss on this thread. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-29-08, 11:09 AM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

How did you crack your y-pipe? I say do it right the first time...since you're going to be spending labour $$$ anyway, might as well do custom piping.

Quick Reply: HELP! I got a crack in my "Y" pipe!