Anyone ever ship a bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 09:11 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone ever ship a bumper?

What's the best way to ship a bumper? - rear, in this case. Seems like it might be over the size limit for FedEx or DHL Ground, so could get pushed into Freight class for $900 shipping. Anybody got this problem solved? Looking for how to wrap, plus which carrier to use. Looks to me like DHL has best rates, then FedEx. UPS Ground not cheap.
Signed,
Puzzled in NJ
Old 01-31-06, 12:43 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shipping bumper

A few months back I purchased the rear bumper online. They shiped it DHL and it was just totaly wrapped in bubble wrap and taped with clear tape. It was wrapped really well and taped up good also. It basicly was mummyfied with bubble wrap and clear tape. When I saw the DHL guy carring it down my drive way I was concerned, but i made him wait until I unrapped it and it was totaly perfect condition. The DHL guy told me he see much worse wrapping and that they do tend to treat items like that a bit better, than boxes. I Also purchased the dash out of a 1966 chevy truck and all they did was slap the UPS sticker to it and they delivered it to california from michigan like that and it wasnt even scratched. To be clear the size of the dash is about 6'lX2'X1'. And all steel about 35 lbs. Hope this helps
Old 01-31-06, 12:51 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Greyhound does shipping also. You would have to pick it up from the station though. I had an entire fiberglass body kit shipped via greyhound when I had my 240 with no problems.
Old 01-31-06, 01:22 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Try (Forward Air)?

Originally Posted by engin_ear
What's the best way to ship a bumper? - rear, in this case. Seems like it might be over the size limit for FedEx or DHL Ground, so could get pushed into Freight class for $900 shipping. Anybody got this problem solved? Looking for how to wrap, plus which carrier to use. Looks to me like DHL has best rates, then FedEx. UPS Ground not cheap.
Signed,
Puzzled in NJ
I am in the process of having a bumper shipped to me in Florida from Maryland and the cost was $54.00? The company is nationwide and may ship close to you! They only accept money orders or checks!(No credit cards or cash!) Check out their website and see if they have one close to you! I'm not sure if they deliver to your door! You can't beat the price and from what I hear they are on time with no damage! I was turned on to them by another CL member! Check them out and let us know how things went.(Forward Air ! )-wringo
Old 01-31-06, 03:44 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by EFMJR
A few months back I purchased the rear bumper online. They shiped it DHL and it was just totaly wrapped in bubble wrap and taped with clear tape. It was wrapped really well and taped up good also. It basicly was mummyfied with bubble wrap and clear tape. When I saw the DHL guy carring it down my drive way I was concerned, but i made him wait until I unrapped it and it was totaly perfect condition. The DHL guy told me he see much worse wrapping and that they do tend to treat items like that a bit better, than boxes. I Also purchased the dash out of a 1966 chevy truck and all they did was slap the UPS sticker to it and they delivered it to california from michigan like that and it wasnt even scratched. To be clear the size of the dash is about 6'lX2'X1'. And all steel about 35 lbs. Hope this helps
Thanks very much for the reply.

And I bet the UPS guy tried to drive the dash out of the truck and up to your door...
Old 01-31-06, 03:48 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by wringo
I am in the process of having a bumper shipped to me in Florida from Maryland and the cost was $54.00? The company is nationwide and may ship close to you! They only accept money orders or checks!(No credit cards or cash!) Check out their website and see if they have one close to you! I'm not sure if they deliver to your door! You can't beat the price and from what I hear they are on time with no damage! I was turned on to them by another CL member! Check them out and let us know how things went.(Forward Air ! )-wringo
Thanks - this is their homepage:
http://www.forwardair.com/
I think they have more specialized services.

DHL Ground is only $57. from Calif to NJ if I can keep the package size below limits. I think the bubble wrap thing is the ticket.