ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/wheels-tires-and-brakes-forum-76/)
-   -   +33 Offset Possible On A GS? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/wheels-tires-and-brakes-forum/154670-33-offset-possible-on-a-gs.html)

D-MAN63 03-13-05 04:06 PM

+33 Offset Possible On A GS?

Just wanted to ask to be sure for a 2nd Gen GS, can a 20x10 with 275/30/20 rear with a +33 offset fit with fenders shaved?

I have heard from reputable sources that it will not fit because the tires are too wide but other reputable sources have told me that it would fit with the fenders shaved.. Don't want to experiment unless I know for sure that someone has done it..

I don't want to go with stretched tires, I want to keep it at 275..

Thanks.

newyorksc 03-13-05 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i'm almost positive that it would fit with the inner lip shaved.
worst comes to worst, you could just pull them slightly and they would definitely fit.

i have a 285/30/20 with a 38mm offset on my SC that required shaving, no pulling
GS and SC share the same 50mm offset, so i'm assuming that fitment between the two should be the same? or not?
you want to run a 275, not a 285, so I would assume that the 5mm difference in offset from 33 to 38 would balance out and you would actually have more clearance then me

D-MAN63 03-13-05 04:22 PM

Thanks Newyorksc, that is encouraging news from you.. :) . My fear is that it won't fit and need to adjust the camber to make the wheels go inward to clear it but that means alot more tire wear.

Also, I attached this pic with I believe a 275 tire with a +24 or +25 offset tucking.. Can anyone confirm this? Sorry its the best pic that I have of this particular car.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...901fab-med.jpg

blueGS400 03-13-05 04:46 PM

what wheels are they, i think it will work with shaved fenders, ask jtanoyo, his offsets are really low like that , maybe he would have advise for you,,,,,,,,,,u going to sale your wheels?

TLW 03-13-05 08:32 PM

what are you planning Andy

hmmmm

rominl 03-14-05 12:28 AM

it's going to be very tight, i dont' recommend. your only hope is to shave the whole fender lip, and then see if it rubs. if anything you either pull the fender or just put more negative camber to make it fit with no rubbing.

the gs in the pic might have the kind of offset and size, but you forgot about the camber. if you adjust the camber to very negative, it will fit.

and in reality, i can tell you that with 10 +35 with 285 you are pushing it a lot already (with fender all shaved). that's with the camber maxed out (meaning as close to zero as possible, but still off). so 33 with 275 might work, it's your call though

jtanoyo1 03-14-05 03:29 AM

That Fabulous Aristo has 19x10 in the back with +24 offset. Funny you should post that picture, because when I first got my original AC Magnifiques, I was basing my offset choice on that Fabulous Aristo. I figured at the time, if that car can fit, that means I could too.

If you don't want to play with camber, I highly suggest you go a little higher than +33. I think +36 super low disk would be a good choice without doing too much to your fender liner/lip.

D-MAN63 03-14-05 04:09 AM

Thanks guys for the expert advise.. Now, I don't really mind if I have to do major surgery to the fender, my only concern is if I have no choice but to MAX out the camber, then this means extreme tire wear. Modifying the fender is no biggie because its on the inside no one can see it, but if you start messing with the camber the tires says bye bye after 5k :sad: .

Rominl, hey you know why I am asking this again and why I can't go a little bit higher than a +33... :D .. SHHH! lol.

Jon, I can only imagine what kind of camber settings you have now.. :cry: Though it looks hot ! :)

D2-AUTOSPORT 03-14-05 06:06 AM

I dont know about the S0-3's but my Nitto 555s were driven at about -2.0 degrees in the rear for over 10-13k and had NO camber wear when I sold them.

Also, a little negative camber is not the end of the world man, especially since you dont have a 200 mile commute to work everyday. This is one of those things were you have to reason with YOURSELF, and figure out if you are willing to do it. Probing to get the answer you want still wont guarantee anything!

Just give it a try if you really want to do it, then you will be able to report your findings from a first hand persepctive!

rominl 03-14-05 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
Thanks guys for the expert advise.. Now, I don't really mind if I have to do major surgery to the fender, my only concern is if I have no choice but to MAX out the camber, then this means extreme tire wear. Modifying the fender is no biggie because its on the inside no one can see it, but if you start messing with the camber the tires says bye bye after 5k :sad: .

Rominl, hey you know why I am asking this again and why I can't go a little bit higher than a +33... :D .. SHHH! lol.

Jon, I can only imagine what kind of camber settings you have now.. :cry: Though it looks hot ! :)

no problem man, i have short term memory problem, don't remember a thing anymore ;)

and i agree with d2, if you wanna take the risk and give it a try, it would be good. if you really have to put on more negative camber, i am sure you don't have to max out the negative. i suppose if you max out the negative direction, your wheel will looke very funny :)

Neo 03-14-05 08:52 AM

+33 is right around the threshold so it is hard to say 100%. I have +38 with 275/30 and have shaved the lip to the point of being able to keep the black trim. I think there is 5mm to give by trimming the tab all the way. You can always try it and if all fails, you can run slightly negative.

D-MAN63 03-14-05 08:05 PM

All of you have excellent points.. I will go ahead and try this experiment.. Nothing beats the look of having the rear wheels flush with the rest of the car.. The front wheels are a +37 and I believe it is aggressive enough to flow with the 33 rear. I will do a full writeup soon ! Thanks guys.

Neo 03-15-05 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
All of you have excellent points.. I will go ahead and try this experiment.. Nothing beats the look of having the rear wheels flush with the rest of the car.. The front wheels are a +37 and I believe it is aggressive enough to flow with the 33 rear. I will do a full writeup soon ! Thanks guys.

You must be getting a good deal on the rims. ;) I assume you want the top of the tires to be more flushed with the body. Here is my +38:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...46IMG_1992.jpg

The rim itself is outside the body line already. Your rim will be 5mm more out. Just making sure you get an idea what you are getting.

rominl 03-15-05 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Neo
You must be getting a good deal on the rims. ;) I assume you want the top of the tires to be more flushed with the body. Here is my +38:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...46IMG_1992.jpg

The rim itself is outside the body line already. Your rim will be 5mm more out. Just making sure you get an idea what you are getting.

man that's going to be very close i can see :)

newyorksc 03-15-05 01:39 AM

neo, you haven't done any fender mods right? j/a