VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Data system module

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 08:46 AM
Samls460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data system module

Hey guys I have a question I'm planning on lowering my ls 460 2008 with a data system controller in my oem suspension but I heard that if I do it my bags will blow soon is that true? I want to lower the car but not play with the controller much I don't want to put springs cuz I don't want to lose the suspension quality should I put coil overs ?
Old 12-27-16, 01:55 PM
8055y
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Samls460
Hey guys I have a question I'm planning on lowering my ls 460 2008 with a data system controller in my oem suspension but I heard that if I do it my bags will blow soon is that true? I want to lower the car but not play with the controller much I don't want to put springs cuz I don't want to lose the suspension quality should I put coil overs ?
Hey man,
A couple things to consider:
Bags are great for ride quality and adjustability but do not have the longevity of coils. Coils are great but need a little tuning to make them perfect for height and comfort on the road.

1- Age and mileage on your OEM parts. The higher the age and mileage the shorter time they will last under the added wear caused by the lower ride setting. (The lower ride setting creates more flexion in the bags due to lower PSI. More flex can lead to premature cracks and leaks.)

2- Coils are a solid choice but are not very fun or quick to adjust ride height. Not only that but if you want to get a great ride quality you'll need to play with spring rates and valving to get everything perfect.

I've got PBMax coils on my LS right now and I am thinking about changing that out since I don't need anything that crazy static for my application.
I had air suspension on my Audi Allroad and that was great until the OEM bag blew out.

My best suggestion is to weigh out these factors and see what is the best option for you.
Old 12-29-16, 03:37 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good question actually but the real world results will vary a lot depending on so many different factors.

1st i will give you my recommendation; go with the DSC (datasystems controller) and save a few dollars every week/month and just know that in anywhere between 6 - 24 months you could be looking at having to replace one. when i needed to replace one i didn't know that cheap used ones existed and just replaced all with a new coilover setup and was happy but recently had one go out on my new(er) car and just replaced it for like $300.

so i will try not to get too long winded since i just flew back to japan from the states a few hours ago, couldn't sleep much, and am now drinking some strong coffee and trying to readjust to japan time... i had the DSC on my 05 LS430 and drove around with it on the lowest drive-able setting (9) for about a year mostly at highway speeds of over 70MPH and it put a lot of stress on the factory OEM air struts and one eventually went out. This was back in like 2008-2009 and lexus quoted me like 1500$ for a new one installed. at the time i didn't know i could just order a used one from japan and just went with some BC coilovers for like 1k installed and ended up loving them but it completely changed the ride i will admit.

now i am driving an 08 crown majesta which most likely has the exact same bags as your car (it shares a bunch of parts from the LS 430 & 460 and is sort of like an in-between model if you aren't aware, but JDM only) and I once again am using the same DSC unit. since my average speed here is like 25MPH (small island) and i rarely get it up past 60MPH (very rarely) it seems to be able to last a lot longer. mostly i am going 25mph from one stop light to the next and it really doesn't seems to be putting much stress on the OEM system compared to driving mostly highway and going over big bumps and dips (potholes) etc... i was originally planning to ride on the factory air struts with the DSC until one goes out, then replace with an aftermarket air setup, but i am not sure how much longer i will be living in japan and am not going to drop 5k if i have to leave soon...

good luck!
Old 05-26-17, 11:01 AM
Bluegs300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
good question actually but the real world results will vary a lot depending on so many different factors.

1st i will give you my recommendation; go with the DSC (datasystems controller) and save a few dollars every week/month and just know that in anywhere between 6 - 24 months you could be looking at having to replace one. when i needed to replace one i didn't know that cheap used ones existed and just replaced all with a new coilover setup and was happy but recently had one go out on my new(er) car and just replaced it for like $300.

so i will try not to get too long winded since i just flew back to japan from the states a few hours ago, couldn't sleep much, and am now drinking some strong coffee and trying to readjust to japan time... i had the DSC on my 05 LS430 and drove around with it on the lowest drive-able setting (9) for about a year mostly at highway speeds of over 70MPH and it put a lot of stress on the factory OEM air struts and one eventually went out. This was back in like 2008-2009 and lexus quoted me like 1500$ for a new one installed. at the time i didn't know i could just order a used one from japan and just went with some BC coilovers for like 1k installed and ended up loving them but it completely changed the ride i will admit.

now i am driving an 08 crown majesta which most likely has the exact same bags as your car (it shares a bunch of parts from the LS 430 & 460 and is sort of like an in-between model if you aren't aware, but JDM only) and I once again am using the same DSC unit. since my average speed here is like 25MPH (small island) and i rarely get it up past 60MPH (very rarely) it seems to be able to last a lot longer. mostly i am going 25mph from one stop light to the next and it really doesn't seems to be putting much stress on the OEM system compared to driving mostly highway and going over big bumps and dips (potholes) etc... i was originally planning to ride on the factory air struts with the DSC until one goes out, then replace with an aftermarket air setup, but i am not sure how much longer i will be living in japan and am not going to drop 5k if i have to leave soon...

good luck!
I tried to pm you but it will not let me send it back and responded. it says mail back is full
Old 06-10-17, 08:09 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okay i deleted all my old messages finally.