VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Plumbing two air tanks to function as one

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 11:22 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Plumbing two air tanks to function as one

I'm not really sure whether this is a noob question, or not, so please, bear with me. I'm slowly amassing parts for an air install this summer on my '99 LS. I'm planning on running dual compressors, as well as dual tanks (the relentless pursuit of symmetry), and I had originally planned on keeping things separate, (i.e. one tank dedicated to front/rear) until I read that having one compressor go bad on a "split" setup basically means having your entire air supply being cut in half, not to mention front/rear lift/drop if you have your system plumbed as such.

My question is, how does one connect two tanks together, so that they function as a single tank (i.e. single pressure switch, single gauge reading, etc.)?

For reference, this is the tank I am using, and I will be using two of these compressors.
Old 01-23-14, 07:27 AM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just make sure both tanks connected to each other.....
Old 01-23-14, 11:14 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes just make sure they are connected together. Those are great tanks. I just got two of them myself.
Old 01-23-14, 03:39 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

How would you recommend connecting them together? One idea I sort of played around with is having some brass male/female connectors, and a tee in between to mount the pressure switch.
Old 01-23-14, 07:24 PM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few ways to join them together. Your idea will work fine. But from what you are saying, it seems like you are just going to use regular brass fittings only no line in the middle am I correct? If I am you will need to pre assemble all the fittings and two tanks prior to installing It in your car.because one tank will have to fully rotate in order to tighten. If you use a line in the middle along with brass fittings you can place in trunk set them how you want then join them together with line. And it will be easier to service if there is a leak that way.
Old 01-23-14, 07:33 PM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are planning on just using brass fittings, I would recommend using the compression type fittings with a nut to tighten. That way is easier to assemble and service. What else do you need to complete your air ride?
Old 01-23-14, 07:47 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Riksgs808
There are a few ways to join them together. Your idea will work fine. But from what you are saying, it seems like you are just going to use regular brass fittings only no line in the middle am I correct? If I am you will need to pre assemble all the fittings and two tanks prior to installing It in your car.because one tank will have to fully rotate in order to tighten. If you use a line in the middle along with brass fittings you can place in trunk set them how you want then join them together with line. And it will be easier to service if there is a leak that way.
Ah, okay, so what you're saying is, basically have some PTC fittings and just throw some airline in between, for flexibility?

Originally Posted by Riksgs808
If you are planning on just using brass fittings, I would recommend using the compression type fittings with a nut to tighten. That way is easier to assemble and service. What else do you need to complete your air ride?
How do compression fittings work, exactly? In comparison to your run-of-the-mill brass fititngs?. Right now I'm looking at hex nipples from BagRiders, and basically joining the two with a tee, which I will use for, well, whatever I could use it for (i.e. gauges, outlet for air line, etc.). Right now, I've only started amassing parts for the setup, since I caught a nice deal on the Classifieds for a BNIB 480C

***EDIT*** I figured out how compression fittings work. Kinda read your post wrong, my bad.

Also, I think I just found the answer to my question in GS300ToM's post in the classifieds from way back... lol

Last edited by Sc0pe; 01-24-14 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-23-14, 07:57 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do not have to connect both tanks The VU4 has two inputs. I'm going to leave my comment at thats.
Old 01-23-14, 07:59 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scope are you going to the meet next saturday in FL
Old 01-23-14, 08:13 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
You do not have to connect both tanks The VU4 has two inputs. I'm going to leave my comment at thats.
I know, but I won't initially be using an Accuair setup.
Originally Posted by swtjlsy
Scope are you going to the meet next saturday in FL
No, not quite. The day doesn't really work out for the fam, so...