ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   VIP Style (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vip-style-188/)
-   -   Viair Check Valves keep going bad. What's wrong here...? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vip-style/674611-viair-check-valves-keep-going-bad-whats-wrong-here.html)

heyarms 01-23-13 05:29 AM

Viair Check Valves keep going bad. What's wrong here...?

So I've had my air suspension since late August 2012. It was originally wired improperly by my shop with 12 gauge wire to the compressors instead of the recommended 8 gauge or better.

I have gone through 6 leader hoses due to the check valves breaking. The first 2 were my fault, i didnt know they were compression fittings and i tightened them as hard as possible. Just yesterday, i replaced both leader hoses again due to them leaking and this morning they are leaking (at least one of them).

I use teflon tape, and this time i even only tightened them until they stopped hissing (leaking). Am i doing something wrong here, are these leader hoses bad (i get them locally), or are my compressors bad (blowing hot air possibly)?

Thanks for any help guys!!

RAMPAGEsd 01-24-13 11:09 AM

ever since viair changed up the design of their compressors to the big heat sink type i've been having check valve issues too. so far i've been having the best luck using the liquid teflon seal instead of the tape since it doesn't really add any thickness to the fitting. the guys over at viair were mentioning that if you use too much teflon tape and over tighten it it cause the valve to get crushed and stuck in an open posistion.

GoinLowPA 01-27-13 06:29 PM

I have seen many issues with Viair checks. Best thing is use a braided line with a SMC check valve.

heyarms 01-28-13 03:34 PM

Thanks guys... I've concluded they're just junk. I only tighten them until they stop squealing from leaking, so I barely torque them at all and still... Problems. And I know these are the problems because I've tested and isolated them on the tank. Oh well, SMC I've heard of online, guess ill try.

Also... Do y'all's compressors put out a lot of moisture?? I put in an inline water filter and it has a visible amount (teaspoon maybe) after about 10 cycles on/off of the compressor. 380C for reference. It's really humid in Houston so hard for me to judge what a "proper amount" of moisture is haha

GoinLowPA 01-29-13 06:18 AM

I`m up in PA and I get considerable amounts of moisture when I drain the traps. Its a good thing to regularly drain them. How cold does it get down there ?

heyarms 01-30-13 05:44 AM

Cold? Whats that? :p Only into the 30's but only for a few days but thats really it.

I went ahead and bought SMC check valves, i'll get them Friday and pray those stop all these annoying problems. :thumbup:

sojah 02-20-13 08:38 PM

I have vi air compressor with a phantom air cup kit and i have a small leak but the shop who installed says they are convinced the leak is with tank or compressor... they have redone the lines twice now but it still leaks somewhere. They think the tank or compressor has too much pressure and cant hold it.

sojah 02-21-13 01:46 PM

where did you apply (which entry/exit points) the liquid teflon seal? to every hose or connection on the air tank?

we have done numerous leak tests and there is no sign of bubbly air leaks but every two hours the tank needs to be refilled even when the suspension hasn't been touched at all.

heyarms 02-22-13 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by sojah (Post 7779805)
where did you apply (which entry/exit points) the liquid teflon seal? to every hose or connection on the air tank?

we have done numerous leak tests and there is no sign of bubbly air leaks but every two hours the tank needs to be refilled even when the suspension hasn't been touched at all.

I have teflon tape at the fitting on my check valve that screws into the tank. If you cant find the air leak, I assume its the same issue i had for months: Your check valves are failing (maybe just "slightly") and the air is escaping back through your compressor, not at the fittings. I ended up buying 9 Viair check valves before i gave up on troubleshooting (thinking it was something else) and i switched to the SMC check valves and it has worked flawlessly (also, the SMC check valves arent as fragile to tighten as Viair's. Viairs check valves only recommend something like 12ft/lbs... very easy to pass that up. SMC i cranked down really good, tested with soapy water and just tightened until the leak at the fitting stopped). Not a single PSI of leak over a weeks time of sitting. That would never have happened with Viair check valves.

PM me if you want pictures or any other questions, i dont frequent this section. :thumbup:

sojah 02-23-13 04:50 AM

Heyarms i really appreciate you dropping some knowledge on me, but can you dumb it down a little bit more please. Where do i get these new valves (got a link or a product number, or company contact info), which exact point or connection is it that you replaced these with? I really want to try this since its really starting to bother me. Thanks a bunch man,

c-low 02-23-13 05:44 AM

Sojah you can pick up the smc check valves from bagriders.com i ordered 2 myself

sojah 02-23-13 05:55 AM

Muchos arigatous

sojah 02-24-13 09:35 PM

So i have one more rookie question, what size shoul i buy for the phantom air cup kit?

Thank you.

_______

just ordered a 1/4 size one so we shall see how it works. thanks,

sojah 03-11-13 04:30 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

can't believe this leak we were chassing was all from one small piece.

thank you to C-low and heyarms for the heads up.

heyarms 03-17-13 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by sojah (Post 7815713)
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

can't believe this leak we were chassing was all from one small piece.

thank you to C-low and heyarms for the heads up.

Damn, glad another person is living worry free without viair check valves now. Feels good, doesn't it!? :D