VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

So you wanna buy air runner ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 11:30 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
buy some kyb shocks and firestone bags...
Originally Posted by REV-01
still not as smooth and not as reliable though...

that's like saying peanut butter, jelly, and bread doesn't taste as good as a pb&j sandwhich.
Old 07-05-10, 11:31 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure where UAS fitment on a GS figures into this thread?

Over on VIP style the debate has some more meat to it with some interesting ideas from members.
Old 07-05-10, 11:32 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98

that's like saying peanut butter, jelly, and bread doesn't taste as good as a pb&j sandwhich.
Glad someone else said it first .
Old 07-06-10, 06:38 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL @ this thread...Just cause one guy says don't buy airrunner, everyone jumps on saying UAS is "better"...blown bags from rubbing owns. If you're going to do ANY air, not just airrunner, do research. Stainless braided lines are not required. If you're blowing lines, you have install issues. I would change the fittings and lines if you buy airrunner, but its not very expensive to do so. I've not heard of airruner leaving anyone stranded as of yet...can't say the same for UAS. Then again, I don't ride UAS so I can't really say how the ride is. I do own Airrunner and I like it a lot (in my Jim Carey voice)
Old 07-06-10, 10:05 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

air runner bags are sleeves on all 4 corners correct?
Old 07-06-10, 10:36 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

air runner is very overpriced for the parts you get.
Old 07-06-10, 12:42 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well if they only sold the struts, which imo, are much more than mere bags on kyb struts.. the craftsmanship on the struts are fantastic and I am very happy with them. I had an opportunity to get the aftermarket parts so I went with different components that werent supplied from AR. I know that people are knocking on AR because of the price but its not like you hear of many instances about a bag blowing up on on or the airrunner strut itself failing as of yet.. Anyhow, those are my 2 cents and I guess you really cant knock it until you try em all..
Old 07-06-10, 01:41 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

airrunner rides great..feels like OEM susp.

this was after i rode in beez43s GS.
Old 07-06-10, 03:21 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

beez car rides like doo doo.. especially when your in the backseat trying to sleep.
Old 07-06-10, 03:46 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are right on skp, I've always thought this few years back when I had my y33 q45 in airrunner.

just the parts alone are worth no more than 800 bucks on the retail side.

It's not a bad quality system but very over priced. But they were the only ones who were offering a fully integrated system and they sure sold a lot of them. They've made their money and have pretty much maximized their profits off a trend that is kinda cooling off.

u have ksport that's kinda catching on but everyone thinks air runner is the best because it's so expensive!

Originally Posted by skperformance
After seeing this stuff first hand it is a complete rip off .
Like someone ( I'll let them name their bandwagon) mentioned before it is really just Firestone bags on off the shelf KYB struts.
There is nothing special about this suspension it is physically the same as what you can buy from a local auto parts store and a truck parts store.

After the shocks everything else is even more down hill . The lines ,the fittings , the tank , everything is made to be as cheap as possible and no where close to safe and reliable.
I can't believe they price this crap through the roof and hand you bare bones parts.
Manual switches for "F" sake did you just pull this stuff out of your tractor to put in your car ? They could not supply at least solenoids for valves .After trying to say they are the leaders in the segment.

They feel running a dot line all the way to the airbag from the switch is good and safe ( it must be be because that is the way its sold) . I would never run a dot line in a flexible environment .It is made for mild amounts of flex but not total separation from the body structure . You need stainless steel braided line especially for the front wheels which turn and move up and down . DOT line pinches which a braided line cannot . Never mind it has no water trap which every single car should have. For some reason they believe these are luxury items .

Do not buy this or support air runner until they get their heads in check .
The price should be in the $2500-3000 max retail.
The hardware alone is barely $100 worth the compressor is atleast the basic proper one . A chrome tank with only 4 ports , a 380 viair comp $150 , $20 manual switches and 1/4 dot line and its RED !
Figure your own car but a set of KYB shocks only cost $400 - 700 a set .
Firestone bags are 100-150 a bag . Add that up and it does not make any cents ....
The only thing they do is assemble a kit with custom $300 brackets to fit an airbag to the shock. It really is not that hard to make a bracket as it uses bolts. Pretty much like UAS which is really overpriced for bags and brackets.

If you have an airrunner kit your probably dieing to put it in and this will not phase you but might give you something to think about. Look to make the system better for the car and yourself driving it.

Everyone wants to be a baller and these guys know it so they are price gouging .

If you disagree with my evaluation please let me know but respond in a intelligent manner with what I might have said or understood wrong .
Old 07-06-10, 04:04 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

what I don't like about Air Runners is that you can't just get the air struts alone, u need to buy the whole kit altogether. So if you want to run certain type of valves or compressors, you're forced to get what comes in the kit.
Old 07-06-10, 07:37 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

How exactly are current Airrunner owners supposed to get replacements if something happens to one of their shocks? Buy another full kit?
Old 07-06-10, 08:30 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, people do not buy air runners only because of the fact that its expensive. They have a good track record and were somewhat pioneers in air suspension systems. I think we can all agree that AR is overpriced, and that they can have much better components for the cost of these systems.
Old 07-06-10, 10:49 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by waijai
How exactly are current Airrunner owners supposed to get replacements if something happens to one of their shocks? Buy another full kit?
I think you need to send them in for repair, but I dunno where. Another thing is, what are u suppose to do in the mean time, assuming you don't have coilovers or your stock suspension.

Air Runners however have been very reliable, u dont hear many people having problems.
Old 07-07-10, 09:33 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beez43
...which imo, are much more than mere bags on kyb struts...
they are exactly mere bags over struts. the struts are kyb, sleeves are bridgestone, bellows are firestone. if you've been around for a minute you've seen all these parts seperately before. all of this info is available directly on ar's website. i don't understand how people drop this kind of money without doing the most basic of research.

what ar does is put it all together, and they do a good job at it. good enough to justify a 100% (estimated) mark up? that's for the buyer to decide.

like i said in the vsc version of this thread, you really can't knock their component selection since no one has matched them reliability wise. value and basic design are suspect.

Quick Reply: So you wanna buy air runner ?