UX Models (2019-present)

2019 Lexus UX 250h F Sport - Ownership Review and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-19, 06:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default 2019 Lexus UX 250h F Sport - Ownership Review and Updates

I won't get into initial impressions covered in this thread but I will cover my discoveries and impressions throughout my ownership in this thread.

My initial impressions hold true still today, with 1+ month of ownership and nearly 2k km on the odometer.

MAIN IMPRESSIONS

The ride quality is what has us impressed the most. With such a relatively short wheelbase (104"), you'd expect a choppy, "school-bus" ride but on the contrary - the ride quality is as good as its biggest brother (RX) in overall composure and impact harshness, and arguably a tad better than the NX in both areas.

Top build quality, fit/finish. Everything feels solidly built with excellent materials - LS-like switchgear, HVAC controls, RTI pad/radio controls, door grab handle, console, the buttery smooth nuluxe F Sport seats, etc including the solid feel of the door slam. Panel gaps, paint quality, etc no visible defects (unlike my Stinger and past A4). Lexus has not skimped here and looks/feels as good as any other more-expensive Lexus vehicles I've owned.

The handling is nimble, closer in feel to a sporty hatch than any CUV. Minimal body roll and short wheelbase make the UX feel sporty and well controlled. The tight turning circle also helps in malls and parking lots.

The fuel economy is also quite good though the wider performance rubber and cargo box I added do take away from the MPGs. Despite these, we're averaging 6.6 L/100km (or 35 MPG) mixed city/hwy. I would suspect the EPA's ~40MPG is definitely attainable without any mods.

The premium sound system is also surprisingly quite good. Although only 8 speakers (includes sub-woofer in the trunk) produces clear and rich audio with deep bass, nearly as good as hi-fi sound systems I have had such as Mark Levinson and currently the Harmon Kardon premium sound in the Stinger. At 70%+ volume though it will distort more than the hi-fi sound systems. In short, for a non-ML sound system, it surpasses my expectations and better than the NX and RX non-ML "premium" sound systems.

The smooth powertrain has been impressive as well. The transition between electric and ICE is nearly imperceptible in sound and feel, unless you are under hard acceleration where some engine whine is expected. Aside from a very slight vibration at low rpms, no harshness is felt throughout the rev range making this 2L 4cyl arguably the smoothest 4-banger I've owned (~ tied with the A4's 2.0T).

The front seat comfort is superb. The tactile feel of the Nuluxe combined with the supportive shape of the F Sport seats coddle the body perfectly.

MAIN SHORTCOMINGS

The cargo capacity is small. It's a tad bigger than the CT was. 17 cu ft is tight for any hatchback let alone a CUV. The problem is the height. Three grocery bins and a couple of grocery bags and cargo is nearly maxed. Blame the electric motor to power the rear wheels that shaves off 5" in cargo height (5 cu ft) from the UX 200. Of course, for any family travel more than two people, a cargo box is a must which is what we invested in.

Tiny fuel tank capacity. 40L (10.6 gallons) negates the benefit of the high MPGs by still having to visit the gas station more often than I'd like.

Thick B-pillar and its placement relative to my seating position creates an unusually large blind spot.

Low door clearance. The integrated door sill protects one's pants from accumulated dirt/snow/rain during ingress/egress but it barely clears some sidewalk curbs.

Some cheap hard plastic. Although this is expected in the lower door panels and dash in this price-range, what is disappointing is the entire main rear-door panel is hard plastic, and the matte black trim around the gear selector is very scratch-prone.

Summary Pros
  • Solid build quality
  • Fit + finish
  • Ride quality
  • Turning circle
  • NVH
  • Ergonomics
  • Unique styling
  • Premium sound
  • Step-in height
  • Quick opening power back door, reliable kick
  • Nimble handling
  • Responsive powertrain/tranny
  • Large HUD
  • Safety features, accurate LKA/LTA
  • Improved infotainment, voice, and RTI
  • Full heated steering wheel
  • Nuluxe durability and premium tactile feel
  • Large Qi charger pad

Summary Cons
  • Low door curb clearance
  • Small gas tank
  • Scratch-prone matte-black console trim surrounding tranny
  • Flimsy fuel door
  • Small cargo
  • B-pillar blind spot
  • Tight rear legroom
  • No dedicated physical AC button
  • No spare (RFT)
  • Uneven brake pressure when regen disengages
  • Rear interior door hard plastic
  • Weak-heated seats
  • Small cupholders f/r
  • Hood prop-rod
  • Irrelevant Enform App suite
The following 2 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
mtsunshine (11-08-19), SoCalRX (08-12-19)
Old 06-22-19, 01:04 PM
gregorTT
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent review! I concur on all points (disclaimer - i don't have premium sound); however, I am a bit surprised that the cargo box drops your fuel economy so far! In my 4 months of ownership, I'm averaging 44 mpg - granted, I am driving primarily in ECO mode, but still, 9 mpg seems like a big difference!
Old 06-22-19, 01:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by gregorTT
Excellent review! I concur on all points (disclaimer - i don't have premium sound); however, I am a bit surprised that the cargo box drops your fuel economy so far! In my 4 months of ownership, I'm averaging 44 mpg - granted, I am driving primarily in ECO mode, but still, 9 mpg seems like a big difference!
Thanks,

The bigger contributor to the drop I believe is from the cheap wide (245) performance rubber that are not low-rolling resistance tires. Probably 8-10% drop just from the tires. Then add the cross bars + cargo box for more drag (and weight) and a 12-14% drop is no surprise.

Regardless, this is still HALF the consumption of the RX.
Old 06-23-19, 07:52 PM
NSXT
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Superior review but I couldn't convince my wife due to the few cons you have listed:
- B-Pillar
- Rear legroom
- Small cargo room

Ended up getting a 2020 NX300h to replace our 2016 NX200t FSport and we could re-use the following:
- cargo liner
- 17" Lexus Rim+Winter Tires

From premium gas to regular gas and better mileage is a no brainer and we have thought about 2019 RAV4 Hybrid but interior wise, can't compare to a Lexus.

I guess I would use this NX300h as a gap for the next UX300e or PHEV hope to come by 2022-2023 and should come with Android Auto by then. I also hope when they retro UX250h/300h with Android Auto, would be nice.

I still love my Prius Prime.. awesome mileage so I will let my wife enjoy her NX300h for now
Old 06-24-19, 07:31 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by NSXT
Superior review but I couldn't convince my wife due to the few cons you have listed:
- B-Pillar
- Rear legroom
- Small cargo room

Ended up getting a 2020 NX300h to replace our 2016 NX200t FSport and we could re-use the following:
- cargo liner
- 17" Lexus Rim+Winter Tires

From premium gas to regular gas and better mileage is a no brainer and we have thought about 2019 RAV4 Hybrid but interior wise, can't compare to a Lexus.

I guess I would use this NX300h as a gap for the next UX300e or PHEV hope to come by 2022-2023 and should come with Android Auto by then. I also hope when they retro UX250h/300h with Android Auto, would be nice.

I still love my Prius Prime.. awesome mileage so I will let my wife enjoy her NX300h for now

Congrats on the NXh and hard to beat a Prius Prime MPG-wise! UX is also an interim vehicle for us until the next NX comes along for us to consider (expecting this in the next 18 months or so as a MY 2021).
Old 08-12-19, 05:15 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

Great info, I'm literally about to head over to my local Lexus dealer to trade in my LS for the UX250H F Sport, wish me luck, your review helps.
Old 08-12-19, 06:16 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Great info, I'm literally about to head over to my local Lexus dealer to trade in my LS for the UX250H F Sport, wish me luck, your review helps.
Congrats. Glad this helped, but from an LS (pillowy isolated ride and powerful smooth powertrain) to the UX, the difference will be noticeable. If you've test driven the UX, then great. If you haven't, consider it so you're good with it.

Good luck and post back!
Old 08-12-19, 01:17 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Congrats. Glad this helped, but from an LS (pillowy isolated ride and powerful smooth powertrain) to the UX, the difference will be noticeable. If you've test driven the UX, then great. If you haven't, consider it so you're good with it.

Good luck and post back!
I did post in the Introduction Thread

Thanks again, I know the delivery of power is far different than the LS, but I have other toys if I want power. I missed having a great city/urban commuter without the need to take up my entire driveway. The UX is perfect for our little family and it reminds me in some odd ways of the 2012 CT200H F-Sport Special Edition I used to have..
I know it's a hybrid so I don't expect it to be quick, it's not a 918 or NSX :P, the ride quality is great and the turning radius is superb.
I don't have the fancy 10" screen as mine did not have the Nav Option, but given that I used Waze even in my LS, I don't think I'll have issues linking up my Apple CarPlay in the UX to my iPhone .
Old 08-13-19, 11:43 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by tofuprod
I did post in the Introduction Thread

Thanks again, I know the delivery of power is far different than the LS, but I have other toys if I want power. I missed having a great city/urban commuter without the need to take up my entire driveway. The UX is perfect for our little family and it reminds me in some odd ways of the 2012 CT200H F-Sport Special Edition I used to have..
I know it's a hybrid so I don't expect it to be quick, it's not a 918 or NSX :P, the ride quality is great and the turning radius is superb.
I don't have the fancy 10" screen as mine did not have the Nav Option, but given that I used Waze even in my LS, I don't think I'll have issues linking up my Apple CarPlay in the UX to my iPhone .
Saw your post now congrats!

Agree, Waze is the way to go in terms of navigation and it's what I use too. And with Apple Carplay, easy interface to control Waze among other apps. Those with Android devices as myself will have to wait for Android Auto which will be a retrofit on the 2019 UX - though the question is if it will be free or for a fee.
Old 08-16-19, 08:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Very nice. Did this replace your NX?

I think Lexus will probably revise that center console part since it does look cheap. They did something similar for the 2014 IS. Maybe the accountants will rework things and they'll find a way to get better parts for the same price. Who knows. Or maybe it'll stay. I'd consider wrapping it in vinyl.

that's the exact UX i'd buy though. Hybrid F sport in blue. maybe w/ red seats.. either.

Cargo area compared to CT.. that's interesting. When I fold the seats down on my CT though... i fit in a queen size bed from ikea.. and was able to close the hatch. i love these types of cars. vs a traditional car w/ a trunk. Do the seats fold flat on the UX? I imagine they do. Just like your current cars in your sig, I think a full electric and a hybrid is a good combo to have. At least until battery tech improves and we can get longer range and much faster charging.
Old 08-20-19, 05:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by E46CT
Very nice. Did this replace your NX?

I think Lexus will probably revise that center console part since it does look cheap. They did something similar for the 2014 IS. Maybe the accountants will rework things and they'll find a way to get better parts for the same price. Who knows. Or maybe it'll stay. I'd consider wrapping it in vinyl.

that's the exact UX i'd buy though. Hybrid F sport in blue. maybe w/ red seats.. either.

Cargo area compared to CT.. that's interesting. When I fold the seats down on my CT though... i fit in a queen size bed from ikea.. and was able to close the hatch. i love these types of cars. vs a traditional car w/ a trunk. Do the seats fold flat on the UX? I imagine they do. Just like your current cars in your sig, I think a full electric and a hybrid is a good combo to have. At least until battery tech improves and we can get longer range and much faster charging.
Thanks. This replaced the RX which replaced the NX! Wow, how did you fit a queen size bed in the CT? Must have been the frame-only and unassembled seeing it was from Ikea.

On the 250h, the seats actually don't fold perfectly flat - they are actually about 2 inches lower than the cargo floor which is raised due to the electric motor but it's not that bad (see pic)

Yes, very happy with the BEV and Hybrid cars to have one for shorter drives and the other for longer ones!

Old 11-04-19, 08:29 AM
DoggieDays
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, I came from an RX F-Sport AWD. I lost some nice add-ons but its expected so I don't really miss it. I use my UX primarily for commuting to and from work, a smaller vehicle with better gas mileage is more suitable. I'm in my UX about 1-2 hours per day and just as comfy as my old RX.
Old 11-06-19, 06:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by DoggieDays
Same here, I came from an RX F-Sport AWD. I lost some nice add-ons but its expected so I don't really miss it. I use my UX primarily for commuting to and from work, a smaller vehicle with better gas mileage is more suitable. I'm in my UX about 1-2 hours per day and just as comfy as my old RX.
Great to hear. It's unusual to think the UX is a "replacement" for the RX, but size aside, it does everything else as well !
Old 11-19-19, 04:13 AM
Renegade27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review - one thing I would add is that interior storage is really scarce. There's not 'small space' storage for sunglasses, notebooks, keys, phone, et.
Old 11-21-19, 03:38 PM
zoomzoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pillar right by the Driver seat is a blind spot if you are looking off to the left side either merging or backing out of a spot.

Trunk space is small, difficult carried a midsize hardshell suitcase and carryon hardshell suitcase, trunk length was tad too short due to suitcase wheels, it could lay width wise but no space for carryon. In order to fit both suitcases I had to fold one rear split down seat flat.

I felt the Fsport quietness and ride is extremely smooth like a luxury car, handle bumps nicely, vs a Fsport IS is more of a harsh on bumps.

Quick Reply: 2019 Lexus UX 250h F Sport - Ownership Review and Updates